How do I remove a rock-hard original throttle body gasket? | FerrariChat

How do I remove a rock-hard original throttle body gasket?

Discussion in '308/328' started by damntall, Mar 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    I've tried liquid gasket remover. Soaked it for an hour or so... No appreciable difference. Still stuck on the throttle body, still rock hard.

How do you get one of these things off without damaging the aluminum??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Plastic chisel and brass wire wheel ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Carefully with a razor blade.

m5shiv and miketuason like this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    A good whittling knife and a green scotch pad.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Die grinder with plastic bristles.

6. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Stand it in a bath of oil or some kind of solvent to soften it. Might take a day or so to soften it up

Rifledriver likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I detest what those do to a gasket surface. I dont allow any powered device to remove gaskets from aluminum.

built2grind and EastMemphis like this.
  8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Wire wheel to an aluminum gasket surface???? Uh uh.

built2grind and damntall like this.
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I keep gasket scrapers perfectly flat and nearly sharp enough to shave with for reasons like that. Soak it overnight and use a very sharp scraper. Hold it in a fixture like a bench vise with soft jaws.

mike996, m5shiv and damntall like this.
  10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's the least destructive method I've found that is successful while also meets deadline requirements; I'd eventually be fired if I delayed everything overnight for a soak. And a metal scraper in the hand of someone without the skill to weild it risks some serious gouging.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very good reason not to work in flat rate production shops.Besides if its a Toyota or Chevy who cares. It will be on the scrap heap in a couple of years. This Ferrari will be around after we are dead so don't screw up the castings. If someone cannot properly use a well maintained scraper should put down all the tools and give it to someone who is qualified.

lm2504me and 2NA like this.
  12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This

built2grind likes this.
  13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    A very soft brass wheel .. to start cutting the gasket and it shouldn't eat the aluminum unless you go too far .. I said use a plastic chisel first and if all else fails a brass brush

I will defer to you since you come across more than I do

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    By the way, that gasket is asbestos based. Don't remove it in any way that will allow you to inhale it......like with a power tool.

damntall and flash32 like this.
  15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, on that - there are many reasons flat rate shops aren't a great thing. It's sometimes disheartening, to say the least... but some things are best discussed over a few cocktails. Turn and Burn... horrible concept. ;)

On this... personally, it was the way I was taught by a 30 yr veteran master mechanic; if that wasn't correct, mea culpa. But - beyond that, I don't care that it's "just a Honda". Part of why I started doing this professionally was because I actually cared and wanted to repair every customer's car with the same care and respect I maintain my Ferrari. Assuming that *someone* cares about it, at least. But still, sometimes management rears it's ugly head demanding that you take shortcuts that make you want to throw up. Those methods, I don't intentionally advise.

I could probably shave lotion off a baby with a razorblade if I had to... I just worry about someone grabbing a Harbor Freight chisel and destroying something.

Saabguy likes this.
  16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Years ago gasket remover used to be fairly effective but the stuff you get now is pretty worthless. I found that Jassco paint stripper works pretty well but you’ll still have to do multiple applications and a layer at a time. Plus the stuff is just downright nasty, you can’t get so much as a droplet on your hand or you’ll be running for the faucet.

Regardless of what you use it’s just going to take a lot of time and patience.

17. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    Good to know! Thank you!!

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can try a flat file with some Aluminum Oxide tape, if you know how to use a file. Work to finer tape as you get closer to the alloy so u dont damage it. If you have not mastered a file then find another way.

19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Condolences. I spent a whole day removing the stupid gasket for the oil filter base.

Paul gave me the tip on using paint remover. It works but softens up only a thin layer at a time. Multiple, multiple cycles of coat, wait, scrape.

I agree with not using power tools. My tool of choice -- sit down please -- was a razor sharp wood chisel. I could lay it flat on the gasket and shave off the little bit the paint remover softened. The chisel offered great control and I could keep it above the aluminum. I had one stud which wouldn't come out and scraping around that was a major pain.

EastMemphis likes this.
  20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Speaking of the oil filter gasket - my engine sat on the stand in the garage for almost a year while I did the heads and everything else and wasn't until I had reinstalled it in the car that I realized I hadn't scraped that gasket off yet.

Duhh!!!

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve used this on some occasions and it works pretty well. Just spray it on the gasket and after a while it will soften the gasket material and makes it easy to scrape it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A hacksaw blade sharpened up on the plain side is useful, you can use it with a light hammer to get under the gasket if u r careful