Ferrari 599 power window problem | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 power window problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by glabbe, Jun 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I was getting my 599 ready for the summer. After charging my battery I started my car. I got a warning "electrical system failure". The only problem with the car that I can detect is the power windows don't work. I thought it might be a fuse. Looking at the list of fuses I could not find a fuse labeled "power windows". Can anyone help me with my problem?

2. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Gary, after a reconnect some items might not come right back.I would throw the master switch and follow the restart procedure,key on key off etc.take it for a gentle ride.This might reset everything. It worked for me good luck,Mike

3. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Excuse my ignorance, where do I find the master switch and find the restart procedures?

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Round about P140 of your owners manual.....

5. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It is behind the small panel on the right side if the trunk.Take some time to look at the owners manual.It is pretty comprehensive and will make using the car more enjoyable.Mike

6. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Thanks for the info. I attempted the master switch and letting the car go through it's diagnostics. Still faced with the "electrical system failure" and no power windows. I even disconnected the master switch, disconnected the negative terminal, and performed the recommended power up procedures. The problem still persisted.
    Looks like I have an expensive trip to the Ferrari dealer. This is why I love my 512bb, that is until I have to have the engine out maintenance done.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Cycle the lock / unlock of the FOB several times. You may need the body computer to reset and the cycling does that.

8. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    Nobody seems to have answered the original question, is there a window fuse and where is it located, it is not in the owners manual, I have checked.
    The 550 used to have a separate fuse area for the doors by the door hinges, dont see this in the 599.

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #10 SonomaRik, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    as a side note, and I'm claiming being lame at this time for I haven't been here since major changes, BUT can some one steer me to where we might have a WSM for the 599?
    appreciated. rik

update: never mind, I see this is another new feature of being an owner :rolleyes:

10. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John

This is all I could find
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. rmfurzeland

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    Dear Ridge55,
    Thanks for all your hard work, as you probably saw the words "power window" do not appear in any of the lists of fuses.

The most probable place would be the fuses under the cover to the left and below the drivers wheel. There are a lot of unmarked and "not used" fuses here.
    I am still searching, anyone found it yet?? By the way its not behind the door panel, I just checked that. It may be that its computer controlled with logic based on microswitch status or or monitoring current across an inline resistor and no longer needs a fuse?

Here is a magnified list of fuses - if you view on a large screen LCD .

Ron

12. rmfurzeland

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    PS yes I did try the battery master switch on/off idea, maybe I should have left it off longer than a few minutes?

13. rmfurzeland

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    I see that a lot of cars have a power window ECU rest procedure, anyone know what it is for the 599?

14. rmfurzeland

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    OK, this is what I have found so far - the driver door is controlled by an ECU that is one node on the CANBus architecture i.e. a network of smart controllers that talk to each other. This ECU is called NPG = Nodo porta guidatore, yes "node door driver". Here is a picture of one
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-599-GTB-GTBS-GTO-DRIVER-CONTROL-STATION-WINDOW-ECU-MODULE-P-N-210666/273826294152?hash=item3fc151a988:g:8GgAAOSwojRYS9wV

You will note that the label in the picture says NPG.
    So the fuse is called NPG not driver door module or power window, just think in Italian and all is clear ("chiaro") ! In the fuse list I see F83 (behind driver seat) is a 30A green fuse labelled NPG supply.

This NPG ECU is located in the bottom right-hand corner of the door, tucked away so you cant find it. It controls window up/down, door locking, exterior mirror and takes inputs from window door switches, status microswitches, mirror controls, fob key etc.
    If the fuse is blown you will loose control of all of the above.

My problem seems far deeper, the fuse and relays are fine, I have power to the ECU but none of the above functions work. My Launch X431 diagnostic tablet finds the passenger door ECU (called NPP) but not the driver door ECU, almost like the control network has lost the configuration for this so it does not recognise it. Google searches (Maserati) talk about if door switches or connections are disconnected and reconnected then the configuration can be lost and a "proxy alignment" is needed - would need a factory diagnostic tool to reset. Any ideas?
    Ron

SonomaRik likes this.
  15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Wish I had the answer to your question and will reach out to local dealer for, hopefully, some insight. Seems you've done a lot of the heavy lifting ..