Sheehan selling Pantera and Mangusta | FerrariChat

Sheehan selling Pantera and Mangusta

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by toggie, Jul 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #1 toggie, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't know if this has already been posted or not, but there are a couple of beautiful De Tomaso cars for sale on the Michael Sheehan website.

A yellow/black 1972 Pantera with 3898 original miles on it for $79,500.
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=DT-PANT-3472

A black/black 1969 Mangusta with 1150 miles on it for $99,500.
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=DT-MAN-8MA674

I have no connection to these cars, the ad, or the dealer/broker.

Here are a few pics of the cars. They look like incredible cars.
    I've always liked the looks of the Pantera from the early 1970's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I want 'em both :)

just can't afford either :(

TheMayor likes this.
  3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yum.

Esp the Mangusta.

TheMayor likes this.
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I like that Mangusta a lot.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i nearly bought the pantera from gary bobileiff about 6 yrs ago. he was at $37k and my offer was firm @ $35k. it was then a very, very nice panther!!!!!

i should have bought it then. as a note, that was the second car that i nearly bought from gary where were virtually pennies apart and i held firm...clearly wrong on my part each time!!!

pcb

6. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Why????? Why does this happen when I'm not in a position to buy???? WHY??? Really F@cking pissed right now.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If I'm not mistaken that is a famous Goose, provenance etc....nicest on the planet. If I cut my legs off I could sit in one.

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I am with u all theblack goose is SICK!!! 2nd nicest one onthe planet! The goose in my garage trumps it :D If I was abuyer of ANY exotic car in the $100k range I would jump all over that stunning black goose!

9. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The sock Mangusta could be a rather evil handling car at the limit.

Sports Car Graphic magazine did some analysis (the noted suspension engineer Paul Van Valkenburgh did the work) and found the stock Mangusta had a rear axle jacking issue and at high lateral accelerations it was dangerous. As delivered, the car both understeered and oversteered. They instrumented the control arms to figure out what was going on and used a pyrometer to set the camber angles. Part of the problem was attributed to alignment (the car was delivered with toe-out and too little camber) and also to a problem with the shocks pumping up until the extended suspension allowed the tire to tuck under like a swing axle Corvair. The article made mention of Koni working on a replacement shock. They also said Mark Donahue drove the car and pronounced the rear roll center too high. After the re-alignment and Goodyear Polyglas tires, it was apparently a completely different machine, increasing the skidpad g's from 0.71 as delivered to 0.92, the highest they had ever recorded at the time. More importantly, the said the car was very controllable and they could powerslide it will and not have the rear end come around.

Here is a link to the SCG article...

http://www.mangustainternational.com/history_detail.php?id=60

Still a pretty car in black...

10. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #10 toggie, Jul 9, 2009
  11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    would one of you experts identify the tires on the goose for me :)
    and please in detail! size, speed rating, age, AVAILABILITY?

thank you!

12. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #12 toggie, Jul 12, 2009
    I'm no expert, but some of the info is visible on the close-up pic of the tire & wheel.
    It says: Dunlop 5-50 M-15

I think those are vintage Dunlop racing tires like the GT40's ran with.
    Here is an online ad I found for what I think is the same tire:
    http://www.longstonetires.com/productPage.php?productID=1501&categoryFilename=dunlop_racing.php

Good luck.

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  14. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I think I remember that Pantera. It was yellow, all original car with just a few spots repainted, if I recall correctly. Has it been 6 years already? Jeeez.

15. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #15 toggie, Jul 13, 2009
  16. vyprgt2

vyprgt2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    John

It is very nice looking, but what I'm not understanding is they mention it used to be yellow, and the qv500 website says it was orange before that....did someone pay a fortune to restore it and paint it a non-original color? Yes, I know it is the owner's perogative to paint it whatever color he wants, etc., but it was otherwise restored to pretty close to stock appearance.

Is the steering wheel wrong (no wood)?

No tool kit?

In 2007 $14K was spent on paint and body damage to the rear....was it in some major collision?

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    nice investigative work, probably some of the reasons everyone isn't jumping all over it...regarding the steering wheel, it appears they've covered the wood with leather (Mangusta wheels are one of the best ever), seems a shame to cover it?

tool kit = VERY rare
    shame it has collision history, it sure looks nice repaired and repainted black

18. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    I'm falling in love with that 69' Mangusta.

19. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    I like the Mangusta and finally saw one in the flesh when I lived in Southern California. Of course I saw more than one, but that was the first time. I still would have a Pantera over one any day of the week, however I have a lot of respect for the Mangusta and that black one is drop dead gorgeous.

20. vaile shelton

vaile shelton Rookie

Nov 10, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Vaile Shelton

So, this is many years late, but I owned both the Pantera and Mangusta referred to in this thread. I purchased the Mangusta in "94. At that time it was yellow with a black and yellow striped interior. I took it to Bobileff for a complete restoration and he had found it to have been an Orange/Brown color originally. We spared no expense on the restoration, but I preferred black over the original color. We tried for years to find an original steering wheel, but never had any luck. The leather wheel is what was on it when I purchased it. The accident damage was nothing significant. The car was parked at a hotel in Monterey as we were showing both the Pantera and Mangusta that year. It popped out of gear and rolled backward into the corner of the building and caused the right rear of the engine cover to bend a bit. It pushed ever so slightly into the roof, so not only did the engine cover have to be repaired, the roof did too. It wasn't even noticeable, but Bobileff spotted it when we took the car back to him for repair. That small bit of damage required lots of repaint on the roof and adjoining parts, so unfortunately it added up to a lot. No frame damage, no broken glass. It's just a soft body! I still have the tool kit in my garage...

The entire restoration project took 11 years, by the way. Completely ludicrous.

lashss, Mang and of2worlds like this.
  21. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Do you have any interest in parting with the tool kit. text me 203 561 9450

22. vaile shelton

vaile shelton Rookie

Nov 10, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Vaile Shelton
    I'm sorry I just saw your question about the tool kit! You can text me if you're still interested at 936-537-0549. I also have a set of original Dunlop tires that would be great for show only. The beads on the rears are not all that great and would require tubes to hold air, but look amazing. The fronts are in excellent condition, just very, very old.

23. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Nice to see an original Pantera compared to the many transformed into Mickey Mouse cars.

Nembo1777 and lgs like this.
  24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Nice to see this thread come to life. I parted with my goose 8 years ago now. REALLY miss that car, just so beautiful. Interesting I did source those Dunlop tires at Roger Krause for my car eventually. They came off the original wheels before the car went to Austria, and the tires went to Sacramento to velocetwo’s Bizzarini project. That black Mangusta wowowowowowow.

25. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Wayne Carrini just ran an episode
    chronicalling the restoration of s Mangusta for the drummer of The Cars,

Mang likes this.