Changing seats in a 308 | FerrariChat

Changing seats in a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Texas Forever, Feb 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Has anybody here changed the seats in a 308 to a lower more upright racing style seat?

Reason that I'm asking is that I don't like the standard lazy boy reclining seat position in a 308. But there is not enough room for me to move the seat back and set upright. So I'm wondering if I yank the stock seats outs so that I can then bolt in a racing seat.

Alternatively, has anyone lowered the front part of the driver's seat? The main problem that I have is that the bottom of the steering wheel hits the tops of my legs.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

BTW, the car I'm looking at has already been modified so you purists can just sit on it! (sic).

Dale

ps. Have anyone done a Gurney bubble in a 308?

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Steve Rochlin put racing seats in his. Maybe he can comment!

The seats come out easily. Just four bolts on each one.

Birdman

3. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Dale have you adjusted the height of the steering wheel.There is a slight adjustment that can be done.

4. SCOPE

SCOPE Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    melbourne australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    two points;

i have a 328gts and have the same problem with hands and the steering wheel and would like to find out about lifting up the wheel.

so how what do you do to lift the wheel up?

thank you

second point;
    i also had same problem with lay back seat and making the seat more upright and head would hit the roof.

i purchased a carbon fibre roof (and spoiler) from japan which gave me another 25mm of head clearance.

this has certainly helped with making the seat more vertical without contacting the roof.

i looked at lowering the seat but there is not much to be gained as it is already low.

good luck to all

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yes, Rochlin also sprang to mind. *waits*

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    One of the local members here also put in aftermarket seats. I sat in them and they were actually very comfortable. Not sure if they would help with legroom or headroom. I'm sure he'd be willing to tell you more.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=978

EDIT: WOO HOO POST #1,001!!!

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #7 enjoythemusic, Feb 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dale,

Agree with you concerning the stock seats. Basically, i used the OMP low-rise brackets and Sparco Roadster seats. As mentioned by another, it is only four bolts to remove the stock units and to mount the new (Sparco) seats. What you need to do is BUILD the seats in the car. This means attach the innermost bracket loosely to the seat. Then mount the bottom of said bracket to the car's floorboard. Then you will mount the outermost bracket to the seat keeping the bolts loose and, in turn, it to the floorboard of the car. Then tighten all bolts accordingly. i suggest using only grade 12 Allen/Hex bolts for the entire project as the stock bolts will not allow for getting a tool below the seat to tighten the floorboard bolts. ALSO, you will probably need to modify the "L"-shaped Allen/hex wrench to shorten the short side of it as getting it under the low seat is a bear. Bloody knuckles during this project are optional.

Also optional are racing harnesses as the stock belts will work.

If you have any questions during the project feel free to let me know. ALWAYS glad to be of service.

As for price, about $120 for the low aluminum OMP brackets and $550 for the Sparcos (this is for EACH seat).

Purchased my seats from Jim Huston at Auto Toy Store & Motorsport Seats(888) 504-0280 http://www.MotorSportSeats.com and he was a pleasure to deal with.

As for the steering wheel, that CAN be moved upward/downward as others have mentioned here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks for the replies. I knew that this had to be a road traveled before. Not all of us are 5'9" with gorilla arms!

Dale

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Two things I've found very helpful in contorting myself into at least a semi-tolerable seating position are:

1. a steering wheel extension ala
    http://www.customferrariparts.com/homemainferrari.htm -- click on "spacers - steering"
    Make mine black please. I've actually got a similar two-piece design that gives a 2" total extension length that I used in my ex-308 -- glad to send to anyone who sends me their email address via a PM if interested. In the TR, I'm using OGRacing's version, but it's an 86mm OD so it doesn't fit the 308s as well (although it does fit) -- 80mm OD matches the 308's column/hub shape better.

and

2. Dropping down to a 320mm diameter steering wheel -- which lets you "tilt" the steering wheel down even more -- which brings the top of the steering wheel closer to your shoulders. If you've got something bigger than 350mm now you could at least drop down to the 350mm diameter.

Doctor -- What year/model/version 308? Is your current Profile inaccurate?

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The good Dr. changes Ferraris like some would socks.........

Sounds like he's shopping..........

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Steve I am most definately interested. I am already running the smaller 328 wheel and the backs of my knees hit the wheel when I "heel and toe".

You have a PM.
    Thanks DJ

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I think that underwear would be a better comparison.

Dale

13. David248

David248 Rookie

Mar 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    David hoffa
    Enjoythemusic - can you please provide contact info for Jim Huston at Auto Toy Store and Motorsport Seat? Number is incorrect and website is not really the website. I have a 1987 328 and want to change seats like you have and most people have no guidance on how to do it except to just start working on it. Let me know if there is an updated contact I can call. Thanks!

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - this thread is fifteen years old and much has changed since.......

Except: any good motor sports distributor should still be able to help you with the brackets & suitable seats

Having said that there's probably other useful threads here - try a search on OMP or Sparco - also in the sticky thread about 308 at the top of this section

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas