F8 versus 720s | FerrariChat

F8 versus 720s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jyc1001, Mar 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jyc1001

jyc1001 Rookie

Apr 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J.C.
    Folks,

I searched around the threads and couldn't find one comparing the new F8 against the 720s. I recently placed an order for the F8 Tributo but now questioning whether I go for the 720s spider. Please hear me out!

I already own a 2015 Black/Black 458 Spider (for obvious reasons, still going to keep this!) and a 2019 GT3RS for track days. I bought one of the earlier Aston Martin DBS, but sold it after 6 months. While it's a gorgeous car, just felt too "heavy" and had b*tch of a time driving it around steep inclines in LA (doesn't have a lifter!).

I've been still looking for a "GT style" ride, but can also carve canyons while not necessarily being super track focused. I did test drive the 488 and wasn't overwhelmed by the engine note, "pull" and overall aesthetics IMHO. When the F8 came out, I have to say I wasn't initially enamored by the design. I ended up test driving it last week and like many have already pointed out, it looks A LOT better in person. More aggressive and balanced. Plus, it is fast. More than I expected. Resulting in me making a deposit 24 hours later.

Fast forward a week, and have been rethinking whether the 720s Spider may be a better option? Felt like it was the closest "comparable" mid engine V8 car. (Never really like the Lambos. Amazing sound/performance, but just no my jam). As for the 720s, has great acceleration, unique design and decent cruising comfort. And since I already have the 458, wondering, whether I try another brand. But have also heard mixed things about 720s reliability, fit and finish?

Has anyone else made a similar comparison? Would welcome your opinions on this! Thanks!

PS - uploading pics of the F8 configuration (Grigio Titanio and Black interior). CF engine bay and instrument cluster - basically anywhere I can actually see it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Both cars have more performance than anyone would ever make use of on public roads.
    Both cars sound average at best.
    Both cars require depreciation cognitive dissonance.
    It really comes down to your personal preference on looks and driving dynamics, and in the case of the 720, whether you like to roll the dice on whether you get a trouble free car or one with anywhere from a few to innumerable issues ... the odds of the latter are much higher than that of the former.

PS. Brace yourself for starting this topic. :)

Thecadster, Gh21631, nmcclure and 3 others like this.
  3. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Do NOT do it. McLaren would sell its soul to Satan to swap places/brand image with that of Ferrari. For comparison, think Visa peddling its "black" card to compete against Amex Centurion.

There is nothing like the elegance and tradition and class of a Ferrari.

redzone and jyc1001 like this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is an ignorant point of view that is ill informed.

I own both a 720 and a Pista. OP- I dont think you can go wrong getting either a 720 Spider or the F8. Both are great cars, both quick as hell, both super comfy and exotic with great performance.

Both will be great choices and you can find great things about both but here is something to consider price wise. 720 you can get some great deals- depreciation has already started. F8, you will be paying full msrp. Also 720 Spider you can get now, F8 you will have to wait. My suggestion would be to get the 720 now, drive for a bit and then get f8 when they are more readily available.

Yes you will lose money on the 720, yes it will depreciate blah blah blah- but both will depreciate.

Anyways- no wrong choices here- both are amazing Good luck in your hunt.

larry rebelo, Melvok, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ridiculous.
    Friends 720s Spider has been flawless.
    Get a used 720s vs a full priced F8 all day, esp since you have the 458 already. only other reco is used performante which is brilliant.

Andynyc and Gh21631 like this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As So Cal said, get the 720S now (or soon!) because if you order an F8 you won’t be getting for quite a while. Maybe two years. When your F8 arrives, sell the 720S if you like. Just buy a used 720S so someone else ate the initial depreciation. If you wait a few more weeks you can likely get a lightly used spider for $275k before tax.

derick and jyc1001 like this.
  7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    One car is a Spider and $75K under MSRP, the other is a coupe at MSRP that you might not even get delivered for 12-18 months.

I'd wait either way. Global meltdown might just be getting started. There will be zero buyers for exotics in the near term if this doesn't turn around in the next couple weeks.

redzone likes this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I had a 720 spider which I regrettably sold, I would get another but I have a 765LT coming. As others said, you cant go wrong either way. For the Mac, buy it preowned as there are some greta deals out there right now.

tekaefixe, jyc1001 and Pis7a2020 like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’m on fence and haven’t sent my deposit yet.

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I dont think you will have a problem off loading it if you change your mind. There will only be 765 coupes for the world so pretty limited by todays standards + the performance will be second to none.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Spyder version....

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Might want to test drive the new McLaren GT. I drove one last week and it is a great GT version of the 720. It can even hold 2 sets of golf clubs.

Attached Files:

clandestine likes this.
  13. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    A McLaren will never been in the same class as a Ferrari. Slower/faster doesn't matter.

14. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    That used to be the case. Ferrari has done great damage to their brand by the dilution with high production volumes and more bland offerings with often uninspired styling.

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    No doubt the performance of the 765lt will be awesome I just don’t like the way it looks.

Glenn Quagmire and stavura like this.
  16. jyc1001

jyc1001 Rookie

Apr 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J.C.
    Good idea. May wait a few weeks to see if 720s come down further in price. Never worried about depreciation. These cars are meant to be enjoyed and driven!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    JC, The only reason to think about the 720 Spyder would be to change it up a bit since you're keeping the 458. Otherwise I would stay with the F8 Tributo or wait until its Spider version is available. You can beat McLaren up pretty good on price if you decide on the 720S. Even when you think (silently) they're giving you a great deal push them more. They love when Ferrari owners "switch over."

jyc1001 likes this.
  18. Figuerista

Figuerista Rookie

Dec 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Figueroa
    Lol a 720 slaps a pista in the face everytime on the drag strip. What world are you living in.

19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nice 3rd post. You’re gonna make lots of friends here. Best , Kirk.

20. Figuerista

Figuerista Rookie

Dec 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Figueroa
    #20 Figuerista, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Kirk, i don't remember asking you for your opinion. lol i'm just correcting the guy, a pista is in no way faster than a 720, i have driven both.
    get back to work old man, let the enthusiasts talk

Best , Rick

Cigarzman likes this.
  21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The numbers suggest that they are evenly matched, even though the Pista is more draggy, due to its track focused nature.

22. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    The great thing is, if you can afford a Pista, then a 720 is no prob. Get both ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Figuerista

Figuerista Rookie

Dec 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Figueroa
    The numbers show the 720 consistently beats the Pista
    Now you're talking! How do you like yours?
    2 friends of mine have purchased within the last year and both have sold within 3-4 months of ownership,varying reasons.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not really. The differences are inconsequential.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  25. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Jesus. Another pissing match. I own both. Both great cars. You couldn’t pry either one out of my hands.