456M - AC pressure (cooling fan) | FerrariChat

456M - AC pressure (cooling fan)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Jan456, Mar 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jan456

Jan456 Karting

Oct 1, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jan Scholte
    Hi,
    I replaced the AC-compressor on my 456M last year and after that a brilliant summer with a cool cabin and cooling fans that were triggered properly keeping the engine temp low :).
    Now starting the car after the winter sleep is the AC-system not waking up :(. Meaning no cool air and the cooling fans are not triggered. I assume the AC-pressure is too low. Of course I can refill it at the dealer, but wonder if there is a weak spot in the AC system that cause a leakage? As I replaced the AC-compressor last year do I expect a leakage somewhere else.

Appreciate your help, best regards Jan

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you were not losing freon before and you are now with a new compressor? That would be the first place I'd look.

Also the service ports. I have had so many Schrader valves go bad and leak when charging I just replace them 100% of the time now.

In any event this needs to be a philosophical discussion. There is no reason or justification for not testing the system for leaks. It is far to easy to be avoided in lieu of free advice that is vastly overpriced. A/C should be leak tested every time you touch it.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Exactly. When you had the pump replaced, they should have added UV dye for leak detection. If so, a UV light and yellow glasses will help find the leak. Better still, just take it to a professional. They’ll isolate your fault pretty quickly, the 456 A/C system is very basic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jan456

Jan456 Karting

Oct 1, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jan Scholte
    Thanks guys for the response! Got feedback from the dealer, the 1y old compressor is the reason...., will be replaced under warranty.

best regards, Jan

Qavion likes this.