Which car makers would suffer the most in a global recession? | FerrariChat

Which car makers would suffer the most in a global recession?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Dilusha, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
  2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm just hoping Stroll throws enough money at it to get all the Valkyries made. Go out with a bang. It'll get sold off again to another investor as it has been hundreds of times now it feels...

technom3 likes this.
  4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'd also like to add that I think we will see some consolidation of other manufacturers.

I am not sure the Dodge nameplate will make it

I am pretty sure China isn't going to be buying Buicks and we're not going to be selling Buicks to Americans

I also think there's a chance Tesla does not make it through this. For a number of reasons. it's always been very sketchy on its financials. I also believe that a law in Europe is going to expose some accounting issues with Tesla. The plummeting price of oil is going to be a challenge. And I think this Chinese sentiment is going to be a problem as well. I'm not confident that the model why is going to be overly successful for them. And when it is it'll be at the expense of the model 3. The model s annex sales are going to dive straight into the ground they are going to Crater and those are the cars that have the big margins.

5. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Aston and Jaguar at the top of the list. Alfa and Fiat will be out of NA. No way Tesla will fail, the model Y sales will eclipse anything in the $40k and up price range.

DGPF and Boomhauer like this.
  6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Not without canabalizing model 3 sales. Also don't be so sure that it's going to be a mass success it's not much bigger than a model 3 and it doesn't have a 3rd row yet. Has very very low ground clearance and extremely low payload. The model y is compromised. But it will.sell well.

In fact I think model y should have been the 3 and the three should have never existed. Few people want sedans. It was a waste.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Even if it cannibalizes Model 3 sales (which it will), the model Y will capture an entirely new market, the SUVs which account for 70% of all car sales. Ground clearance and payload are meaningless to the masses who use their cars mostly for work and shopping, so its a moot point. The average Tesla customer is extremely loyal will likely continue to buy Teslas. Regardless of current gas prices another plus is minimal maintenance costs other than tires and brakes. I own a Model X and although I'm a die hard car lover, but there is no way I'll buy an ICE vehicle as my DD again. I can see GM and Ford becoming a trucks only automaker sooner than Tesla going bankrupt.

Boomhauer and Jaguar36 like this.
  8. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I would watch VW. Sales were up, healthy profits but they're carrying too many luxury brands under their umbrella which will have steep declines. They might have to sell off a brand or two to balance their books.

Texas Forever and technom3 like this.
  9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Payload absolutely matters. And I take it you have no idea what the payload of the car is or probably don't fully understand what payload means.

Model y could have captured a new market but instead it looks like a tadpole and like a model 3 and l
    Is pretty much not even a crossover.

10. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I have a pretty good idea what payload means and reiterate the fact that its a moot point based on what a cross over is designed to accomplish. And unless you're a family of five very obese people who also require to transport bags of cement from their local Home depot, payload means squat to the average buyer. And do enlighten me on which crossover doesn't look like a tadpole.

DGPF, Boomhauer and Jaguar36 like this.
  11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Too many players, too many people making the same thing with different parts; massive inefficiency going on. It is inevitable that the minnows are going to get eaten.

AtSomePoint likes this.
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So obese people are 167 pounds now?

It's Payload is a major failure. 4 people and luggage and it's dangerous.

How is it going to seat 7.

13. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    They're still building prototypes and it's in very crucial stages of its development. The production was already delayed by 6 months. And that's before the Virus. :(

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'd be nervous if I had a deposit.

I was offered the one under the valkarie. I can't remember the name now.

15. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Valhalla? :p

I think they'll still deliver the Valkyrie in some way. But it could underwhelm. :(

technom3 likes this.
  16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes that was it!