UNOBTAINIUM SUPPLIES: 60164001 Bezel, Ignition Lock Surround | FerrariChat

UNOBTAINIUM SUPPLIES: 60164001 Bezel, Ignition Lock Surround

Discussion in '308/328' started by Verell, Mar 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Awhile ago I promised to make this part. It is now available on a made to order basis: Will ship 2-3 days after payment is received.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

We have just begun production of this part, which has been NLA for a long time.

This part is used on the Ferrari 308 - all varients, & 328 - all varients.

To order, specify the following part:

60164001 Bezel, Ignition Lock Surround

While these parts are indistinguishable from the OEM parts, they are higher quality. As always, we try to address shortcomings in the originals whenever possible without changing the original appearance. These parts consist of 75% fiberglass, along with polyurethane: a heat resistant & much-stronger material that nevertheless retains some flexibility!

For price & ordering instructions, see our illustrated catalog available from:
    Unobtainium Supply Co.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    email sent as I could not find it on the website......'cuz of the virus at the Rodeo...;)

3. sstefan

sstefan Rookie

Oct 20, 2016
    austria
    i could not find it too. how much and how to install?

4. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    NICE! You are amazing!

5. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Outstanding! THANK YOU Sir!

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Sorry, I didn't get the revised catalog posted to the web site until this afternoon. It's on page 5. Price is in the catalog.

To be honest, I've never had to install one. It looks like you remove the ignition switch, then push the bezel's threads thru the hole and press the retaining ring onto the threads to hold the bezel in place & then reinstall the switch.

7. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    50 Bucks! Holy smokes that's reaching. Superformance UK listed them at £1.90:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I mean, yeah I'm sure everyone is glad you are reproducing them since they have been unavailable for a while and everything, but really? Thats approximatley a 2046% increase.

Not bad.

How much are you charging for Purell and TP?

sherrillt likes this.
  8. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I think the thing to keep in mind here is the difference between a bulk purchase a retailer makes from probably China ( and then runs out of stock once they're all sold), to a person creating what are effectively bespoke pieces to meet a need for individuals.

I've bought several items over the past few years from Verell to complete the restoration of my 308 and I was incredibly grateful to find someone running a small business that provided parts that would be otherwise unavailable. For me these included the dash kidney vents, seat belt covers as well as others, were they cheap ? possibly not, did I need them, yes. Was I happy with the end result ? absolutely.

I was able to purchase the ignition surround from Superformance as mine was missing when I purchased the car. Would I pay $50 USD for the same part if my car was missing that part and it was no longer available? Yes, In a heart beat.

Saabguy, 308 milano and thorn like this.
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    There's the key statement; if a part isn't available for $2, then $2 isn't a better price.

Verell makes bespoke items that aren't easily, or sometimes even available and are of very high quality. If the most the market would support was $5 for such a thing, he wouldn't even bother.

Saabguy likes this.
  10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hmm, I can list a really really cheap price for something I don't have.also ;)

Seriously tho, no, I can't possibly even come close to matching that price. These really are bespoke items. My process Is just too labor intensive: I have to amortize the ~3 days work it took to make a pair of molds that will only produce 1 set at a time, & are good for only about 20 sets then have to be remade, plus the half hour or so it takes to actually use the mold to make a set, and the 15 minuites or so to process & pack up an order..

rjlloyd & thorn, thanks for the supporting & understanding comments.

Saabguy, Crowndog, Ferraridoc and 3 others like this.
  11. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I am eternally grateful to Verell for repairing the turn signal stalks on my several 308s and my Maserati Indy. I actually think he is underpricing for the quality and service he provides. We are so fortunate to have him.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    His plastic is "just better"....

I have had to battle my ignition switch in the past, and I agree I think R&R or at least loosening the mounting of the ignition switch (which has a lock rod to the steering column) is required to get the retaining ring on, from the back of the dash.

Will order one if I survive, next week!!!!!

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The simple answer is go buy it from Superformance then. Oh wait you can’t so suddenly that price point is moot. Even so the Superformance part is sourced from a manufacturer that has the injection tool to make these. Injection molding has a huge tooling and machining cost but the piece price is pennies because the cycle time to manufacture is seconds and profit is based on making many thousands.

Verrell makes both his tooling by hand and pours and trims parts one at a time. You are paying for his labor and even then I’m sure he is making 1/4 or less of what a Ferrari mechanic charges for an hour labor. In addition he would be lucky to sell 50 of these over the next 2 years. It is a lousy way to make money and it is something he does as an enthusiast to help the community. We are lucky to have him.

Your comments were uneducated and disrespectful.

430tdf, Saabguy, chas-3 and 7 others like this.
  14. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hahahaha. Disrespectful not really, but uneducated, a hard no.

Just calling out a whopping price increase. Buy it or don't, that's an individual's choice.

Don't get me started with the muffler sellers and *their* prices.

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Nuvolari, Big Tex, beng:
    Thanks for the kind words!

Back in 2003 just after I started my business my wife & I vacationed in AZ native american territory. We had an interesting chat with a Hopi Katsina carver. He was clearly a craftsman, painstakingly making his own paints from local pigments, searching out local carving materials, and exactly reproducing traditional Katsinas with exquisite workmanship. Yet his prices were lower than many lower quality Katsinas we saw in the area. We asked him why he set his prices so low and he said: "I'm in this for the long run. I'm out to make a living, not a killing."

His simple philosophy struck a chord and I've taken it to heart. I don't want to get rich, just recover my material costs, be fairly compensated for my labor, and help other Ferrari owners who need otherwise unobtainable parts (ie: unobtainium) at an affordable price.

430tdf, subnet67, lm2504me and 10 others like this.
  16. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I had a mate in the eighties who had an electrical store. He got in early when video cameras were hitting the market. There was one Japanese company (forget which) that had the only one available at that time. He contacted them and bought the entire allocation for the state (a container load), and set up shop, selling them for $2,500. A large retailer across the street had them for $1,800. A customer pointed this out and he said, "Yes, that's right, but they're out of stock. When I'm out of stock, my price is $1,800, too!"

thorn and Nuvolari like this.
  17. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sent you an order today Verell. Thanks for what you do.

Mark

18. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Verell makes good stuff and we are fortunate to have such a gent and resource that is so knowledgeable re these older 3x8s.

That said, if one is inclined to accept a vastly cheaper (as in a couple dollars) aftermarket alternative to the bezel of this thread's subject, a visit to Ace or Lowe's/HD drawers full of specialty bits will do quite nicely. Mine was lost during a mechanic visit so I replaced with a rubber grommet designed for electrical plug wires through a desk. If I can dig up a picture I will post. If it weren't pointed out, you'd never know it was the OEM pc.