FERRARI OIL CHANGE POLICY | FerrariChat

FERRARI OIL CHANGE POLICY

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ajr550, Mar 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Took my 812 in for first service a couple of days ago.Just over 4000 miles on clock.
    Ferrari now plug in computer and apply an algorithm based on way you have driven car in last 12 months to decide if you need an oil change.This policy was introduced in Feb 2019 and mine was first car my dealer had dealt with hence the post.
    If algorithm says you do not need to change dealers seem to be recommending you change anyway and pay the cost.
    So much for free servicing !
    Thoughts range from do it myself to if engine blows up I have a warranty claim but what does it do to residual.
    Not a lot of cash and if I do nothing pretty sure all will be OK but I am disproportionately irritated.Seems to me a very good way of losing goodwill.

2. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Before anybody says it I know the answers to drive it a lot harder which I definitely will this year.

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

While I understand your position, there is another side to it.

From the Dealership side, you would not believe how difficult it is to get owners in to let us perform that FREE annual service. Most owners use the same logic that they only drove it xxx miles last year, they don't have time to let us perform the work that is included in the program.

Over the past several years there have been several threads about how the 30 day window to get the services performed was too small. Then the 60 day window, now its 90 days.. still , some owners cant be bothered to even reply to my personal invitation to come get the Ferrari to service it , again.. for free.

There are threads about how difficult it is to get the annual service, that the owner who knew how far they lived from the dealership when they purchased the Ferrari , want Ferrari or better yet, for the servicing dealership to pay to transport the car round trip , so the dealer can perform the free service.

My point is, its a difficult balancing act to get owners to take care of their Ferrari , Ferrari wants to help while working within in the owner self imposed limitations.

By the way, the annual predictive maintenance program that started in Feb 2019 ... when the car is scanned in, there are several other items checked beyond just the oil change.
    Engine filters, cabin filters, brake fluid, coil servicing, etc ... Its not a wasted trip, the dealership WANTS to perform as much work for you for free as possible to make it worth their time as well!

If you do it yourself, PLEASE keep a detailed log of date, time, location, actual invoice from where you purchased the correct fluids and filters for the application. Just in case something goes sideways. Maybe even go as far as to ask your dealership to give you the actual check list of items checked and adjusted during the annual visit ( oil change or not ) so you can do the same thing... not just drain and fill and call it done. If for instance a fluid leak were to be found during the first years visit, it could be addressed under warranty.
    If an owner were to service it themselves for 3 years, then just out of warranty said oil leak gets all over the headers and becomes a bigger problem , it'd be difficult to get assistance if Ferrari never had a chance to address it early on when it was a small problem.

But I understand, for owners that do follow the annual servicing timeline, it should be as easy as bringing the Ferrari in on an annual basis, get the services performed, clean up after ourselves, and return it in a timely manner.

lastly, I know not all owners are the same, some follow the program while others do not. My opinions do not fit every situation just like all dealerships are not bad.

GL and I expect it will all work out in the long run,

Steve

GT2goneF, pdxjim488, JotaEle and 14 others like this.
  4. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Thanks Steve for your response. You are a great asset to this Forum. What happens if one’s driving pattern changes after the predictive program says no FREE oil change needed?
    Will the car need to come in again before the next scheduled annual service ?

SAFE4NOW, Caeruleus11 and ajr550 like this.
  5. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    #5 ajr550, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    This is one of my concerns.Hard driving was difficult for me to fit in last year apart from a couple of track days but I have planned trips this year that will mean a lot more hard driving.
    To be clear this is in no way a criticism of the dealers I would like them to do the work.I choose to religiously service my cars at the correct time and drive 200 miles to dealer to drop them off.It just feels like penny pinching by Ferrari which is really disappointing.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Ill never have anythgn newer in the garage than a 360, so sorry for the dump question but on an 812 you need to take it to a dealer and hook it up to a diagnostic unit to have them tell you if you need the oil changed? There is no on board engine oil life system? What would possibly be the point of that other than to have one totally dependent on your local dealership?

7. Texas2step

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    New Ferraris comes with 3 year warranty and 7 year FREE maintenance (performed annually for 7 years). The latter includes the annual oil change which is FREE. Since a lot of owners don’t live close to the dealership it is easier to get everything done once a year. With this new rule you may do your annual maintenance on one visit and have to pay if your oil change is “not due” otherwise you have to make a second trip back to the dealership. If this is correct it is indeed as OP said penny pinching by Ferrari. This was never the case before this new rule

8. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #8 Elasto, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    You have to take into consideration that not all Fs are driven on a regular basis like the average FFs and LUSSOs - since our "estates" are soooo practical cars. :D
    If you drive your F just a few hundred miles a year, there's simply no reason for an annual oil change, and mother nature says THANK YOU.

It would be interesting to know the key factors that determine whether an oil change is necessary or not.
    .) Distance travelled?
    .) Car used mainly for long trips/short trips?
    .) Local climate?
    etc....

GT2goneF and SAFE4NOW like this.
  9. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I understand that but I did 4000 miles and dealer is recommending I do change oil.

10. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What do you mean by "recommending"?
    Does the diagnosis say it's necessary or not?
    I thought there's only "necessary" or "not necessary".

Every dealer will "recommend" an annual oil change because it's easy money for them.

11. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    The algorithm decision is, as you say, binary.
    Clearly it is in the interest of the dealers to do the work.They are being squeezed by the new policy as well.
    Your original argument was different though.
    You gave the example of a car driven a few hundred miles not 4000 with a year of hard driving anticipated.
    Not a major problem but it is irritating and I wanted other owners to know about the change of policy.

12. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Why was my original argument different? And different from what?

I don't get the point. (Please take into account that English is not my mother tongue, so there's plenty of room for misunderstanding/misinterpretation from my side).

13. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Let's agree to have a mild difference of opinion on this.
    There are more important things to consider at present.
    Stay safe.

14. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I cannot agree to something I don't understand.
    Could you explain it to me?

Just saying "there's more important things to consider at present" sounds a bit .... weird to me.

Unfortunately I can't find the suitible smilies to show you that I am not angry at anybody but just confused.

GT2goneF likes this.
  15. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I am a little lost as well. I think he is just venting. He bought a high end car with a promise from the factory that they will maintain it for 7 years. He now brings the car in and they say "it doesn't need an oil change" but it may in 2 months. In 2 months time, the dealership won't do it for free because he already had his 'free yearly service'. I think it stinks as well if I interpreted his post correctly.

16. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    hmmm seems strange, all my cars indicate when an oil change is required. if it pops up, i have it done, period. why change oil when the car says otherwise.

17. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Any (straight) married men will recognize this policy immediately.

Bachelors, consider this "pre-cana."

They are italian (Catholic) cars, after all.

18. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    When driving patterns change , it is my understanding that the algorithm does too. IMO, this will have more of an effect on low mileage Ferrari used for dinner and weekend events. Ferrari that will not need an oil change in other words. There are dozens of threads here that rally that annual service are needless and unwarranted. < shrug > There are also owners in the camp that changing the oil annually and having a all around check up, with software updates, and inspection of driveline, tires, brakes, etc are worthwhile. ( I am in this camp ) Ultimately , the car will show a green wrench when a milestone has been achieved, it may be 9 months in it may be 18 months in, but it will let the driver know its time to pay attention. When the Ferrari arrives at the Dealership, we scan the car in, we confirm and perform all needed work under the 7 year program. If something else is found that needs to be addressed and covered under your warranty , it will be at that same time. Additional items ( worn tires as an example may be offered ) Then the owner goes on their way until the next milestone is reached. I cannot imagine it would be days or weeks later... rather months+ depending on driving patterns

There will be a green wrench that will appear on the display when it is time to schedule an appointment for service. The car will be scanned in and the work required will be performed. You are not driving in for an "oil change" , you are driving in to have the car serviced, if an oil change is part of that service visit, it will obviously be performed.
    There is more to a service visit that a simple drain and fill ( common misconception ) , filters, belts, software updates, safety inspection, etc are performed as well.

And yes, you are correct, we ( the Dealership ) absolutely would like owners to keep coming back an allowing us to service their Ferrari, for at least the 1st 7 years.....
    from a business standpoint, I think this would apply to ANY business that you, I , or any other FC member would agree with, no?
    Hey, I offer a product or service that I don't ever want to see or offer service for ever again... said no business owner I know of. ;-)

You make a good point, that even prior to Feb 2019 , owners would have us perform an in-between oil change. Every 6 months, their Ferrari comes in and they ask us to change the oil on their dime. Then every 12 months we perform the 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year , and so on required services. Still . spark plugs and other items like wheel balancing or alignments not covered under the 7 year program , that were needed , can also be performed at this time.

Easier to isolate and address warranty items this way as well.

You are correct about this being a new rule, it started in Feb 2019 , but it is hardly penny pinching... services still need to be performed and they are completed as needed based upon driving patterns.

I am thinking miles driven + fuel consumed + time elapsed = what is needed when the green wrench shows up on your display.

S

GT2goneF and Themaven like this.
  19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    4 years warranty over here. Car says when service is due not when oil change is due.
    Up to now, Ferrari did a minimum of changeing the oil when small service was due. I think they are taking a big gamble if they are saying its not necessary in such a high performance such as the 812. I personally would be very niffed after paying £300 collection of the car for them to say its not now necessary!

20. Texas2step

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Thanks Steve for all the clarifications

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  21. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #21 Frank_C, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2020
    I should be surprised by some of the responses, but knowing how the majority of Ferraris are driven I’m not.

The irony of course is that from a sales POV the used car salesman wouldn’t be lying if he called a used Ferrari a cream puff owned by a little old lady who only drove it back and forth to church (Country Club). Well he’d be lyin about the old lady, but the car condition would be an understatement.

Good thing y’all don’t track your cars and buy new tires, change the oil and flush the brakes every couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    if this is the case, then Ferrari has dropped to a new low level. Tsk. Tsk.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Quite understandable that an infrequently driven car may not need an oil change, though does that take into account humidity and potential moisture in the oil?
    Ferrari should take the position that for 7 calendar years your “necessary” oil changes are covered under this program.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Funny some are saying that they rely on the car to tell them when to do a service. I am of the mind that I don't need the car to tell me. The answer is annually and the oil should be changed once a year and more often if weak or dirty. You look at the calendar and if its near the date you take it in to the service department to run all the checks and inspections and perform the full service including changing the oil. Oil should not sit for two years in that car.

Between services, you pull the stick, wipe with fingers, note the color, smell and thickness and change if required. Should not need it between services unless a DD or in hot/dusty conditions with frequent start/stops or lots of miles. Sometimes I wonder how folks got the money to buy the car if this is too hard for them. o_O

GT2goneF, Thecadster and italiafan like this.
  25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Is there an oil stick to pull and check?