Alarming noise on test drive. | FerrariChat

Alarming noise on test drive.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DominicDBS, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DominicDBS

DominicDBS Rookie

Aug 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Hello Guys,

I imported some Ferraris from the US and have just put a 87 TR on the road in England. The number plates were purchased today. On the way home we experienced a sudden worrying noise which sounded like a flat tyre.
    We discovered nothing and got the car home where i found that jacking up the front RHS of the car and putting a lateral force on the tyre in the 12 and 6 O’clock positions resulted in a metallic clicking or rattling noise. Something is loose!
    My question: is it likely just the central wheel nut or is it more likely to be a wheel bearing? Did anyone experience this?
    The wheels seem to track true enough using a rudimentary test and it has a recent catastrophically expensive service including new tyres and brakes. I don’t have a special TR wheel nut tool yet so i cannot check the torque on it until next week. The car has less than 4000 miles on it! I am not impressed with the people who did the service.
    Thoughts from real Ferrari guys please? I have had older exotics up till now.

Cheers,

Dom.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Possibly a post on the UK Section will bring around a loaner tool?
    You've got to have it, should have been one in the boot

While not an expert I think the wheel gets torqued off the ground, we have Owners that will know.

Definitely a reflection on someone's talent, I agree.
    Good thing it did not pass you on the road shoulder!!!

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wheel bearings "talk" a long time before failing in my experience.
    Betting your hex nut torque is off.

4. DominicDBS

DominicDBS Rookie

Aug 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dominic
  5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Jack it back up. Have someone wiggle it while you get your head underneath and look at the backside of the wheel. You should be able to see if it is a loose wheel nut or if the movement is elsewhere. It could be wheel bearing, it could be a suspension mount. I am not familiar with the specifics of the car, but could be a ball joint, strut mount, ot a arm mount depending on the suspension configuration of the car. Regardless, with the aforementioned technique, you will be able to see where the movement is.

6. DominicDBS

DominicDBS Rookie

Aug 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Good reply. I will put it on a hoist on Monday and order a wheel nut device.
    Will post what i find.
    Cheers.

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Big Tex is right...the wheel center bolt needs to be torqued while the wheel is off the ground. The tapered surfaces need to be clean, with a thin film of anti-seize applied, the wheel slid onto the hub, and the nut tightened by hand..while hand tightening, try to wiggle the wheel, it should not have any movement. Then tighten to a whopping 325 ft-lbs of torque, or use the special spanner and lead hammer and pound away until there is no more movement. It could be a suspension issue but my gut says the wheel is not properly installed.

8. DominicDBS

DominicDBS Rookie

Aug 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Ok...thanks very much to all of you.
    Will post the result of this next week.
    Regards,
    Dom.

9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Most important thing about tightening these single lug wheel bolts to spec, is that you have to do it multiple times. Mechanics often do it once then send the car on its way, not good. Torque it, drive a mile or two, torque it again. Drive 10-20 miles, torque it again. You should be good after that, but I periodically check all four just because. You'd be surprised.

10. DominicDBS

DominicDBS Rookie

Aug 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    thanks Tim,

wheel nut device from Superformance as soon as they open.

regards,

Dom.

11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  12. DominicDBS

DominicDBS Rookie

Aug 18, 2018