430 - Instrument Cluster Fascia Bloom | FerrariChat

430 Instrument Cluster Fascia Bloom

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tackleberry, Mar 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Something that bugged me since I bought my F430 - 5 years ago- was the unusual bloom on the Cluster Facia around the Dials.

I looked for any info on what is was over the years, and although I came across a thread about it there wasn't any resolution or idea as to what it was or caused it.
    All that was apparent was it seems to be a common problem that inevitably ended up being left alone.

I resigned myself to the possibility that the finish would be beyond repair, and it would have to be re-painted.
    Something I wasn't too enthusiastic about, but knew I would end up doing at some point.

So today I swallowed a brave pill and decided to get to the bottom of it.

Removing the Instrument Cluster was pretty straight forward, so no dramas there. However during the process I noticed the same blooming on the outside - which was hidden under the shroud - so I wiped it with my finger and it vanished, leaving the normal matt finish.

I was encouraged by this, and to to be honest couldn't wait to get the Cluster out and strip it down.

With the cluster out and on my desk I proceeded to strip it down. I found that the blooming was limited to just the matt black facia part and and mercifully not on the Instruments.

Fortunately you can remove the Tachometer's Bezel so you you are just left with the plain Facia.

I tentatively rubbed my finger on the blooming and it started to come away. Woohoo !
    Then I gave it light rub with a microfibre cloth. Even more woohoo, but there was still a ghost of it.

I hot footed it down to the garage and grabbed some Meguiars Detailing Spray and a fresh Micro Fibre, then misted some onto the cloth and worked my round the Facia, then buffed it up with dry cloth.

And the result....................gone, vanished like it was never there !

I then went over the back side of the Facia and the rest of the Cluster removing any of this blooming.

With it all cleaned up I did my best to remove as many dust particles as possible - always a hazard when opening up these things - and re-assembled it.
    I even had some felt tape I could cut to size to refresh the points that make contact with the leather of the Dash.

So the question is, what is it ?

It certainly wasn't any form of oil. The only conclusion I came to was condensation.
    These units aren't fully sealed to allow them to breath, so over the years of seasonal temperature changes etc, a small amount of moisture creeps in and by capillary action ends up where it does.

As for the unusual patterns, that is most likely caused by the magnetic field generated by the five "Stepper Motors" that live inside cluster.

Anyway, I'm chuffed to bits with this afternoons tinkering. Just wish I'd done it years ago !

Couple of pics showing before and after.............

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion, mwstewart, cpep and 2 others like this.
  2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had something like that on a Nikon camera lens. After disassembling the lens elements, I discovered that it was fungus growth, spreading out like it's on a petri dish. Perhaps your situation is similar?

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    That is entirely possible.

4. Sunbeam430

Sunbeam430 Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Essex U.K.
    Full Name:
    Kurt William baur
    I have the same but over most of the panel, it almost looks like a camo pattern. Is there any write ups on removing cluster and doing this?

5. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Just follow this short video to remove the cluster......

I will point out it is five screws for the column shroud, and not six as quoted in the video.

As for stripping the cluster I just followed my nose.
    It's not too complex.

6. Sunbeam430

Sunbeam430 Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Essex U.K.
    Full Name:
    Kurt William baur
    Thanks will give it a go

Tackleberry likes this.