Porsche vs Ferrari Ownership Experience | FerrariChat

Porsche vs Ferrari Ownership Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PuraForza, Mar 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PuraForza

PuraForza Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Hi,

I have been looking to add a weekend car to enjoy alone or with the kids once in a while.
    I wanted to purchase a vehicle with heritage, a following, a well structured owners group and a bit unique.

Do many of you own or have owned a Porsche before owning a Ferrari?

I have been playing with the idea of adding a 360F1 Spider or 997 turbo manual convertible. I know they are very different in itself, but I was curious about personal experiences.

Thank you

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Rico
    both brands have good owners groups.... I own both Porsche and Ferraris .. the 360 is very different from a 997 turbo .. but they are both great cars.. In my experience the Porsche is more reliable ... but it really depends on where you live and what you like ... I do not have a Ferrari dealer for over 200 miles test there is a Porsche dealer 5 miles away .. Drive them both and see
    what you think .....

Tamahal, DGPF, uhn2000 and 2 others like this.
  3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I own a 328 GTS, and while I will always be a Ferrari fellow, I myself want to experience a Porsche , after all, they have the winningest record when it comes to sports car racing . I live in an area where there are a lot of Porsches, I love the way they sound, and what about the GT3 /GT3 Rs !!! I am of the opinion that the Ferraris that were built up through the 90 s for the most part were pure driving machines, so if thats what your looking for, maybe a 308 / 328 / 348 / 355 / 430 512 BBi , Testarossa , manual gearboxes as well. I also love the Porsche turbo lineage , backed up by their incredible German engineering, would be a great car to own. My friend has an 08 Twin Turbo, with that Metzner flat six I believe, 6 speed manual, he gave me a ride in it a while back, and It was fantastic, and its an everyday driver, and with its AWD , you can drive it in the snow !! , which I cant say for the pure driving machine era Ferraris.In most cases, you can get late model 911 turbo or none turbo, for less than a Ferrari of equal year. With all that being said, let us know what you decide on !!

Thank you

Jkay and PuraForza like this.
  4. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Rico,
    I have had Porsches for years.
    356A
    1980 c2S
    Cayenne
    Panamera S
    996 Z51
    997.2 S convertible
    991 S convertible
    They were all great cars. No maintenance issues and reliable as rocks. The 991 and Panamera are still here and I love them.

They, however are definitely NOT Ferraris.
    I currently have a 575M and a 612 OTO. They are different but both are truly fantastic cars with
    way more spirit and personality than any Porsche I’ve had since the 356.

porsche has made about 4X as many 911s as Ferrari has made all its cars. Every Ferrari has a spirit and is fun to play with.

Porsches are more like competent tools.

PCA is large and active. The FCA is much smaller and also active. I prefer small crowds.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I’ve owned Porsche’s since the 80’s and have always enjoyed them. As above, reliable and fun cars.

OTOH, I’ve owned 2 Ferrari’s and love them even more, they feel more spirited.

Drive an example of both and you’ll have a better idea which car you like better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ewright and paulchua like this.
  6. PuraForza

PuraForza Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I somewhat feel the same as you guys. I am not looking for daily vehicle characteristics but it would be great to purchase something unique that transmits emotions and hopefully does not depreciate as a tank. Far from looking for an investment opportunity, but stable value is a plus.

I worked at Ferrari in my past life :), and while I experienced 430, 612, 599, California, Enzo, I never actually drove in a 360, nor experienced its F1 gearbox.
    From a budget point of view, a 360 is very comparable to a 997 turbo manual, although maintenance costs will likely be different.

Considering that both will be serviced from aftermarket shops wil labor rates around $100/hr, and the limited yearly mileage, I am not concerned by that.

I have found a type of each locally and once COVID passes by, I am definitively have to test them both.

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have had as many Porsches as l have Fcars. Except for one Porsche dealer they have all turned out to be jerks. The two Ferrari dealers have been great.

Mighty Joe likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8 Nembo1777, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Porkers are efficient tools (I owned four front engined ones, don't like 911's at all).
    Ferraris, Maseratis, Lambos are charismatic beasts.

Very different propositions.

The people who gravitate to each are also very different, it has been my experience that there a lot of very bland colorless Porsche owners compared to the Italian marques' owners (I am basing this on forty years of being around these cars and people and 28 years of writing about them).

Many say that, my esteemed colleague Andrew Frankel wrote a column article about that once, spot on.

Everytime I have taken a Porsche person for their first ride in a classic Ferrari or Maserati they were dismissive ahead of time saying those Eyetalian things just break own and then afterwards they were transformed, big eyed, saying OMG now I see the point, this is fantastic, so much more alive and charismatic etc etc: it was great to see, each and every time:)

-K1- and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I just traded in my 2014 Boxster S for a F430. The Boxster was an amazing car to drive, but nothing like the Ferrari.

Kinda like comparing a Honda Goldwing and a Harley.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua and Themaven like this.
  10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Porsche ownership is very transactional. You buy the car, you use it, and you bring it in for service.

Ferrari ownership is much more of an experience for me. The passion for the brand, the events, the racing, the dinners, and the rallys, provide an increased level of engagement that both my family and I can enjoy. Just driving a Ferrari is an emotional experience. The sound, the smell, the way the car makes you feel is just amazing.

I really like my Porsches....I’ve had a 997 Turbo, 991 GTS, 991 C4S, 991.2 GT3, and 991.2 GT2RS. However, very different car and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    OK, enough people have told you about the emotional experience, let me tell you about the cars.

The 360 Spider F1 is the most difficult 360 model to own in terms of its serviceability. The soft top itself is finicky and its location interferes with some of the service aspects of the car. Therefore, the entire top is removed to access some of the components underneath it. The engine is pretty robust except for some well known issues such as cam variator in earlier cars, and US headers with built in precats. Servicing the 360 is much harder than any Porsche 997. It has timing belts that need to be changed at 5 years. Water pump that needs service at 10 years Heat exchanger that often leaks, two stage cats that are expensive and don't last long. But, when everything is working right, the sun is rising, the top is down, and you are blipping the F1 gearbox down a couple of gears in a tunnel somewhere while the Tubi screams just behind your head, the Spider experience reminds you of what life is about as a driver. No Porsches will do that.

The 997 Turbo Cab is a Porsche that comes as close to a Ferrari as possible in terms of service. $1000 to change 6 spark plugs. Engine out to weld up coolant pipes. Expensive turbo tax on simplest items. Beyond that, it is a pig of a car with close to 4,000 lbs of weight, gobs of power at your right foot but save it for the straights. I never found the turbo spooling up to be attractive and the exhaust is anything but inspiring. It is more expensive to own than a Carrera S but not as demanding as the 360F1. The good news? The cabriolet top works all day, everyday, twice on Sunday. It's a great car and only drains half your wallet and there are 10 times more Porsche shops than Ferrari shops.

Park one next to the other and let your emotion decide. Once you settle on a 360 Spider F1, I have a friend who is on the fence to sell his. I'll hook you up.

12. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Doesn’t a 430 resolve most of these issues?
    It’s not much more than a 360.

Caeruleus11 and Themaven like this.
  13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I have owned Porsche cars since 1987. I tend to keep them a while. My 1987 911 Slantnose I kept until 2007, my current Porsche I got in Dec 2003 and still own it. My wife kept her 2005 Cayenne Turbo for 10 years and replaced it with one of the last Cayenne Diesels made. I have also owned a Boxster and other Porsche cars concurrently.

Porsche and Ferrari are very different cars. Since the 1990's I'd say Porsche cars are the rock solid. The newer Porsche cars drive just like a regular car until you get on it and then they opens up and sing. They are also very stealth. No one points at a Porsche unless it's a Carrera GT or 918. My 430 seems to be completely different. Every drive since I purchased it at the beginning of this month has been a special event. People stare, point and give me thumbs up. With the Porsche, when they were new, no one except Porsche club guys talked to me about the cars. As the cars got older, I'd get questions and comments mostly because I think people didn't conclude I was some rich jerk with a Porsche and they assumed I was a regular guy who bought it used, love cars and was up to my eyeballs in debt or something. It could also be that as the car ages, they see less and less of that evolution of the model, not sure.

Anyway... Buy the Ferrari. Enjoy the Ferrari, unless you need it for a daily driver, then get a Porsche.

Caeruleus11, ross and Texas Forever like this.
  14. PuraForza

PuraForza Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rico
    What a description :) Way to sell it !

EnzoItaly and gabf1 like this.
  15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The one thing my 997 does better than the 360 is the 2 midget seats in the rear so you can take everyone for a ride. Otherwise 360 is a better weekend car. 911 is a better weekend family fun car.

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Porsche is no longer what it was, and so is Ferrari soon enough. The heritage is becoming only an advertisement lingo.

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Since I have owned more cars than everyone else who has posted on this thread combined and I have absolutely no emotional response to a machine I will offer you my opinion about the quality of the machine. If it is a weekend fair weather car buy the 997TT and then turn it into RWD. Ferrari seem to check the emotion button for those of you that are normal, but Porsche is the better machine (once you have taken apart a rebuilt as many cars as I have you have a different understanding). I agree with Mr. GT above my post, neither company is what it was they are now merely companies that want to make money, (Porsche design Ferrari baby clothes). There was a time I kept as many as 2 dozen cars at a time, I always had (for over 4 decades) at least one Porsche (have 3 now), but I went years without a Ferrari (have a 458 spider now) which is my 8th Ferrari, but I've had 44 Porsche's. I could care less about heritage or owner experience I care about if the machine suits my (or any purpose), and I would buy a 4C spider (I had a 4C coupe now I am hunting for a spider) over a 360/430 (I owned 5 of these combined) everyday. In fact I am considering selling my 458 and keeping the 4C spider when I am done rebuilding it, I am pretty sure when I'm done it will be a better drivers car. I have been here a long time and I have noticed that in many cases people who ask questions don't truly want an honest answer just justification for what they already have decided (one of my favorite human traits), and if that is the case OP, you already know what you want. If not I strongly suggest driving a Ferrari, Porsche (I'd go with a 991S RWD), Maserati (MC sport convertible) AMG (GTS I have a modified coupe which is a lot better car than a 360/430), and if you want driver experience over comfort a 4C. When you drive what started out as a 997S put over 330K in modifications and end up with a car that weighs a bit over 2200lbs with 650hp and no nannies, well no Ferrari can ever come close to what that feels like to drive (I cannot tell you how many passengers have thrown up after being in it). I see machines as what they can be made to be not what comes from the factory. Machines have no soul, no personality, and no emotion, they are like me, which is why I like to be around them. Good luck in your search OP

artsd, Master Deep, tomc and 4 others like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    People make decisions emotionally and then use reason to justify their decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Carnut, vrsurgeon, JCR and 1 other person like this.
  19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have owned 2 Porsches while owning my current gated 430 Spider, a manual 996 Turbo and manual 996 Turbo S. Both the Porsches were excellent cars. But I sold them quite quickly. They were super competent but had only a hint of character, and I like my cars to be exciting, not just efficient. The 430 stays. If you can, OP, maybe consider a 430 over a 360. Same roof, F1 box, more power and torque, E diff, less high maintenance engine, better interior.

My 430 has been super reliable but definitely budget for more spend than a 997. Twice as much. But Ferraris are not flaky like they used to be. 997 Turbo has a very solid reliabilty rep though. Can't beat it for reliability and performance. Ferrari gives you joy.

PuraForza and Texas Forever like this.
  20. No-Subt2

No-Subt2 Karting

May 6, 2019
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I had a 2011 Porsche 911 (997.2) Turbo with a manual 6-speed transmission. I sold it knowing that I wanted a gated Ferrari 360. I have no regrets in my decision as I now have that modern, mid-engine, and gated Ferrari.

Texas Forever and Pis7a2020 like this.
  21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The only sensible solution is to own one of each! My 911 and the California are so different that it's fun to drive them back to back, and enjoy the differences.

I will add that the service/dealer experience has been miles better with F than P, to the extent that we bought our last Porsche - a Cayenne - from the F dealer and get my 911 serviced there as well. Chat up car folks about the local dealers. You don't want owning a cool car to be a hassle. Ruins the experience IMO...T

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sounds like you would be a prefect fit for my Jensen Healey. It has lots of character!

Themaven likes this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Started with an F355, sold it, regretted it. Bought another F355. Bought a 993, had it a couple of years. Great car overall. Bought a 997, sold it.

Still have the F355. Will never sell it. Wouldn't mind another 993 but don't feel it's worth what they trade for.

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats because you get to deal with steve fordham - the best ferrari service guy in the usa !

PuraForza and tomc like this.
  25. PuraForza

PuraForza Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Going to test drive Porsche today.
    Thank you for ALL of your insightful comments.
    While I never owned either car, I appreciate exchanging ideas with a group of gearheads like me. Not many around me :(
    F430 is very familiar to me as I rode on them a lot, but it is typ. more than I am willing to spend for a weekend car (toy). Nonetheless, I will know more once I try the Porsche and the 360. I was originally looking for the small backseat for the kids, but a thrilling ride/experience will be more important than that. Cars will stay stock as I already have a daily with ton of power. This more about the feel, the open top, the experience, the hopefully low future depreciation :)

Texas Forever likes this.