Onboard (a car) driving video recorders... | FerrariChat

Onboard (a car) driving video recorders...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TTR, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I asked about this 6+ months ago on another (“GoPro”) thread but since it didn’t lead to anything useful, I figured I’ll give it another try on dedicated thread.

I’d like to find a simple and easy-to-use small onboard "camcorder"(?) with following features/functions:
    - Battery operated (rechargeable ?), as one of the intended vehicles has positive ground, 6Volt electrical system & no power source available for (modern) electronics.
    - Good image resolution and stability. Recording often at higher speeds on twisty secondary roads.
    - External/remote microphone (wired or wireless) that can be placed anywhere in the vehicle, i.e. engine bay, trunk, under the car or dash, etc.
    - Direct remote control (wired or wireless) for easy "on/off" while driving & without a need for “smartphone”.
    - Direct re-play (with good screen ?), delete/editing and possibly resolution adjustment that can be easily performed during roadside stops, would be very nice to have.

Apparently GoPros cameras don't have some of these, especially external microphone (which is a must).

Sony HDR-AS300 has all but any of the last options, but is surprisingly complicated to operate (while driving) and seem to wear out batteries quickly.

Also, does anyone have simple advise how to easily(?!?) compress/convert footage shot with aforementioned Sony to easily email attachable resolution by using iMac Pro ?

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Still looking & awaiting for advise...

... or doesn't the technology I'm looking for exist ?

3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have blackvue 4k front and rear dash cam system. Always on and permanently mounted. You can view and down load videos to your phone or computer

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Why no smartphone control?
    The Garmin VIRB 360 offers the possibility to connect an external microphone; 360 deg. filming is nice IMHO (btw, I discovered this camera because Ferrari used it during a road test event they arranged).
    It also has an embedded GPS so that it records speed and paths; advanced editing needs to be done offline though.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you Gentlemen, but I don't have a "smartphone" nor particularly want one, so that does limit my on-board control or viewing options.
    Also, as I stated, I would prefer non-plug-in camcorder with good, self-contained battery life as my use will mostly be in vehicles with 6 Volt electrical systems.
    The remote microphone option is a must, especially in open cars as I wish to capture engine/exhaust sounds rather than cockpit or wind buffing noises.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Apparently no simple solutions or suggestions for this ? :confused:
    I guess one of these days someone is going to tell me I need a later tech phone also... :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    A brief feedback/update report:
    After the aforementioned Sony onboard video recorder started to exhibit some annoying problems few months ago during our last road trip adventure, my wife found and got me another one with plug-in external microphone, something called COOAU(?), but reviewing at the recent footages, all I can say it’s image stability is not very good.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Anyone with more or new recommendations/suggestions for good onboard video recorded with first 3 of my OP requirements ?
    We had a great few day road trip to Death Valley and surrounding areas couple of weeks ago, including several cool, extended stretches on scenic back roads and secondary highways :), but wish I would've had good equipment to record most of them. :(