Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 161 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I read in other posts that pulling the vacuum at the valves would signal a code. Do you mean the dealer can reprogram the ecu to tolerate the vales open all the time? On my Scud I just pulled the tubes myself from the valves with no issue.

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks now take a video winding it out and through the gears!

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed they are the same size as the non-carbon ones - I really thought they had been extended. The Geneva showcar with the carbon options had extended paddles, as depicted in Ferrari's media gallery. It's a real shame if they deliver the customers cars with the short carbon paddles.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Tech at the dealer advised it is a simple task which they will undertake whe then car arrives. It does not involve any ECU reprogramming.

5. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    I inquired about having the valves opened/pinned open on the F8 and my dealer told me this is not advisable because it can cause engine damage, check engine lights and performance issues......that being said I had this done on my 2015 458 and never had any issues.....so what is the real answer? Maybe someone can enlighten me...thanks in advance

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Coincid will definitely confirm when he gets his F8 :)

Coincid and Drson like this.
  7. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine will be here next week. My dealer said same. They can not open valves in F8 (or Portofino). . Ferrari made a change and these are electronic and won’t allow it (he did say the hope is someone will figure it out). Fingers crossed

8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Do the valves open up around 3k rpm depending on throttle like they do on the 488?
    Seems odd about engine damage as the valves just control sound at low rpm by diverting exhaust to muffler or not. There is gas pressure difference but still not really much and just sound difference.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Owners better post up reviews when they receive the cars.

10. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Yeah, I heard the same thing. If that’s the case we should be able to get the remote valve control I had on my 488’s.

11. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    That will not work. I had that on my 458. Will not work based on my previous post

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #4013 Shadowfax, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Using a valve controller or pegging the valves permanently open on this car is no longer an option due to the pressure sensors pre and post which ensure proper operation of the GPF. Any slight change in pulse or back-pressure and it goes into limp. It's apparently very very sensitive. The pressure in the pipe between the GPF is maintained by the valves. Keep in mind the valves are post the GPF which is precisely why they now have a sensor there now so if the valves don't work properly the ECU can detect it and shut the system down. The valves are also electronic so they can open the valves up incrementally depending upon what the ECU reads as necessary to maintain the correct pressure within the pipe. A VTG turbo works in a similar way being electronically actuated where the vanes move incrementally, controlled by the ECU and the various associated sensors.

On the Pista and 488 the valves are vacuum controlled and are either fully open or closed. Pista has the sensor in the plenum and can detect the change in pulse and pressure once the cats are removed. I'm told Pista's system is much more sensitive than 488 but still nowhere near as sensitive as F8's systems. This is the engine advancements claimed by F8. The correct operation of the GPF has been made integral to the proper running of the entire engine, Screw with it and the engine won't run and screwing around with the opening of the valves will have a direct impact.

My tech assures the F8's intake and exhaust system is fail safe and the only way around the ECU and sensors will be to remap it. For those who believe otherwise let "the horse" be with them.

Astrid.Didier, Avia11 and mdrums like this.
  13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Thanks Shadowfax...well that sucks because the sound of the F8’s I have heard is very bland.

Do the USA cars get a particulate filter?

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #4015 Shadowfax, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Seems none are immune to the GPF. Also agree F8's sound is nothing particularly memorable that's for 100% certain, inside or out. But it's the way of the future they say. But re the info that's what my head tech reports and, he's never been wrong on anything so far and, he's top dog out here....one of those guys who lives and breathes the product with a passion (for the past 31 years). But for the sake of others here I truly hope he's wrong on this. I really do. I think someone needs to disconnect their valves and report exactly what happens. And desirably do it in their workshop or in close proximity to.

elmadi, mdrums and of2worlds like this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I always find cars sound more important in theory and more annoying in practice. A loud car drives by, it rarely ever sounds good. Even most super cars sound, well just loud.

Boomhauer, tfazio, Drson and 2 others like this.
  16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    AND VIDEOS INSIDE AND OUT! STILL AND DRIVING!

17. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    He didn’t seem as wowed as by the Pista, which makes sense.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    His driving reviews, if one can refer to them as such, consist of a gaggle of chuckles interspersed with a dollop of “wows”. His trips on city streets, often in traffic, are hardly the venue to make a determination of the technical and subjective attributes of a super car.

20. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    It seems none are immune to crazy euro policies... nor East Asian viruses.

Sorry, I had to (flame suit engaged).

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Seems to be alot of hard plastics in the interior for this money !

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Those are special Italian Ferrari fine crafted interior pieces. Categorically different from “hard plastics” don’t you know!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

elmadi likes this.