348 - presentation and a few questions | FerrariChat

348 - presentation and a few questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Augustin, Mar 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Augustin

Augustin Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Augustin de Villeneuve
    Hello guys,

I am the proud owner of a 348 TS from 91 and based in Paris, France. I have been enjoying the car for 5 months now and I can say it's a great driver's car.
    I am using it as a weekly car mainly for weekend to get out of Paris.. play golf or enjoy the nice countryside roads.

I have been reading and enjoying the forum since I decided to buy a 348 last year but I am mainly active on the french Ferrari forum.

Here is a few pictures including one with 2 Facel Vega (my dad bought the blue one in the US in 1991 !! )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Regarding my questions:

- I realized during my last drive that the 5th gear is not locking itself properly. When I pass the 5th gear, if I keep my foot on the accelerator, it will stay locked but if I take out my foot fully from the accelerator, the 5th gear will slowly disengage and reverse to neutral position...
    Did anybody had the same problem?

- 2nd one: I am getting some water in the trunk when its raining. it seems like the water is passing through the air intake and not properly evacuating. Additionally, the previous owner added this piece of fabric there... I don't really know why and if it's related to the water leaking problem. And I think I am also missing the seal for airbox on the front hood.
    Did you guys already had a similar problem ? should I get rid of this piece of fabric ? Not really sure what to do here!
    PS: I already changed the screws to new one as they looked horrible!

JLF likes this.
  2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Can't help you with the airbox water leak thing but regarding the gearbox, you should check the shift cables to make sure they are well adjusted and nice and tight with the shift into 5th gear. If that is all good and the gearbox is slipping out of gear, you are in for a rebuild.

3. Augustin

Augustin Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Augustin de Villeneuve
    Thanks for your reply.. can I check by opening the gearbox directly from inside the car or does I have to do under the car ?
    Thanks

4. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    i don't think you should have that mesh thing on top of the airbox unit - its supposed to be open and clear.
    When driving in the rain, water will get forced into the air recirculation box, that's just the way it is - i believe it has a self draining pipe - your mesh setup is not allowing this to happen.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Shift cables are under the car, check for posts on 348 shift cable lubrication to see detail on them.

6. Iltorored

Iltorored Rookie

May 17, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    John Murphy
    Inside that airbox there is a motor that controls a flap that closes the box if you select “recirc” causing the a/c unit to cool the cabin from air already in the cabin. If the motor that controls the flap burns up or a gear is stripped the flap will never close and a/c will struggle to cool as its always trying to cool while sucking outside air.
    I have seen people just cover the opening on the top to force the blower to always suck air from the inside of the cabin for better cooling.
    Just my two cents worth..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app