2020 Goodwood Festival of Speed POSTPONED | FerrariChat

2020 Goodwood Festival of Speed POSTPONED

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Mar 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  2. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    It will be busy this autumn down at Goodwood, with both those "postponed" events taking place before/after the Track Revival....

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I personally don't think any of these events is going to happen in 2020.
    This virus will take longer than we all wish and the year 2020 is over (before it has started). See also F1.
    Just my 0.2 cents.

Marcel Massini

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Sadly, I tend to agree. I still hold out a bit of hope for Members’ Meeting happening in 2020 as it is only a two day event and on a much smaller scale than FOS or Revival, making logistics less complex and scheduling more flexible, one would think.

Jack.

readplays likes this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is not about logistics etc.
    Key is the (new) social distancing. Which means at least 2 metres distance between two people.
    Impossible to do when you have hundreds or thousands of visitors.

Marcel Massini

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, of course. I was thinking more in terms of how quickly Goodwood could prepare for an event if the public health situation improves sufficiently later in the year.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    + my 2 cents.
    I already cancelled everything in my 2020 public event calendar couple of weeks ago and would be surprised to see anything change.

readplays likes this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #8 Marcel Massini, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    I wouldn't be too surprised if the next cancellations will be Monterey (CA) with Laguna Seca pre-historics and WeatherTech Monterey Motorsport Reunion, Quail Rallye, Carmel Concours, Gordon McCall Motorwerks Party at MRY Jet Center, all the many auctions (RM Sotheby's, Gooding, Bonhams, Mecum, Russo & Steele, Worldwide, etc.), The Quail Motorsport Gathering, Concorso Italiano and then the 70th Annual Pebble Concours d'Elégance. All Mid-August 2020 (8 to 16 August to be more precise).

Marcel Massini

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Almost inevitable.

readplays likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I am going for my legal walk in the woods now...

of2worlds, quailgun and Jack-the-lad like this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Like I said, already cancelled my plans to all, including above.
    I'd be more surprised if they're not cancelled.

Personally, my biggest disappointment is having to cancel (2nd year in a row) our 3-week, 3000+ mile vintage road trip vacation wife and I had planned for June. :(

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, I think so, too. But should we wrong than there will be a true marathon of events in the 2nd half of the year. It will become a hussle...

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    In the US the situation is only in the beginning. And it will become REALLY worse as their health system is definitely not prepaired to this catastrophy...
    It would be a wonder if the Pebble Beach-week would happen this year.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Don’t believe everything you read in the Euro press, or the American press either, for that matter.:)

15. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    US guy here. I agree with the general caveat of 'not believing everything you read/hear'. That said, Walter is of course right.
    There will be no Pebble Beach week this year.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    We`ll see in 2 or 3 weeks time...! I hope that I am wrong...

readplays and Jack-the-lad like this.
  17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    And don`t forget - NYC alone has now more victimes than all in Germany!!! (Source: John Hopkins University/USA)

18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Lockdown in France (initially planned to end next week) now extended to mid-April - with open possibility for further extension.
    It's like nobody has a clue about how and when we'll go out of this *** in spite of worldwide experience.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    What “experience” ?!? :confused:
    With all due respect, but how many unexpectedly fast spreading, unprepared for worldwide pandemic experiences have you gone through in your life ?

I know fair amount of well educated and traveled individuals in their 80s and 90s around the world and in past couple of weeks have been communicating with many of them and all claim they’ve never experienced anything like this.

While I don’t have any educated or professional opinions on this (just tend to approach life and thinking logically), my wife has a degree in biology and has been teaching (& studying) related subjects for decades, neither of us expect “this ***” to be over for at least 6-12 months.
    If anything, it just appears to be getting started (at least around here), but way too early to predict anything as we’re in uncharted waters.
    Of course I hope I’m wrong.

375+ likes this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As I said earlier already, and I am NOT an expert, the peak in USA will only be in June/July.
    I leave the rest of this to your own imagination.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you understand under: victims? so only infected or died already?

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I meant those who died!

turbo-joe likes this.
  23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the more we can slow the spread the longer the crisis lasts. good news is more people will be treated and saved.

readplays and 375+ like this.
  24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I was referring to the fact that apparently different countries are at different stages, so that the countries in earlier stages could benefit from the experience of the countries already at later stages. For whatever reason it does not seem to happen, and to be honest I have no clue why - if one looks at Italy and France, France was impacted later but so far it's exactly on the same path as Italy, so that seeing what already happened in Italy did not really help to have a more efficient reaction. The delay between France and Italy is short, but before we also saw what happened in China and in South Korea for instance, and it still did not help to have a better preparation. Of course I have no competence to understand why this is the situation, but I think it was reasonable to expect that seeing what happened before in other countries could have helped (that's why I used the words "worldwide" and "in spite").

TTR, Nembo1777 and readplays like this.