1970 Dino 246 GT "L" Series | FerrariChat

1970 Dino 246 GT "L" Series

Discussion in '206/246' started by Erick Quintana, Mar 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Erick Quintana

Mar 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Erick Quintana
    I had a question regarding the front turn signal lights and side markers for U.S. delivery on the "L" series.

Were all "L" series cars European with flush front turn signal lights and front circular side markers or were some delivered in U.S. spec. with recessed, square, front turn signal lights and square side markers.

I am thinking that possibly there weren't any "L's" that came to the U.S. because I haven't seen one "L" with the front square, recessed, turn signal lights. Can anyone offer their knowledge on this topic?

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe that there were 3 US delivery L series cars. They had add-on side market lights attached to the bumpers and octagonal wheel nuts. I may have photos of one of the cars somewhere..

3. Erick Quintana

Mar 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Erick Quintana
    Wow only 3? Thats amazing. Thanks for your help!

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    IIRC, there were 5 L-series cars delivered to North America (USA & Canada). I restored/own one of these and the other I've seen was owned by Matthias - see the metallic brown L-series in the Dino Compendium.

They are an Italian spec Dino with one change, the instruments are in English.
    The changes to recessed front parking lights and rectangular side markers didn't happen until the introduction of the E-series USA model which was a year or two after the L-series finished production.
    Andrew

Erick Quintana and 375+ like this.
  5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    according to the dino compendium there were 7

dgt likes this.
  6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    It wouldn’t surprise me if these L-Series were imported by Chinetti as “race cars”. I’ve seen the Chinetti records for a 206GT and an M-Series, both Euro Spec brought in as race cars. Eventually they got sold into different parts of the country. I’ve never seen any records of a Euro Spec Dino imported officially into the US when new for certified for highway use.

Erick Quintana, dgt and 375+ like this.
  7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for checking, my copy was not handy.

TonyL likes this.
  8. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Mine was bought in as "for competition use only" by Chinetti, there is another thread on this where I posted the bill of sale.
    I'm sure the other L-series are similarly imported.

Erick Quintana and GermanDino like this.