shell rotella ultra ELC suerseded? | FerrariChat

shell rotella ultra ELC suerseded?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stevepaa, Mar 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    I bought 2 gallons of shell rotella ultra ELC in white container on March 1 from local NAPA store. On Saturday I ordered 2 more to complete my coolant change from blue BMW coolant . They had the warehouse deliver 2 gallons of a red shell rotella coolant in black container. I said they were not what I wanted. Got on the phone with warehouse to get correct stuff and he has it, but that the yellow ultra has been superseded by this new red nitrate free coolant, because shell discovered something wrong with the yellow.

Any one know the veracity of this?

I found this link
    https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/shell-rotella-nf-elc-to-supersede-ultra-elc.1361375/

and this
    https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/shell-rotella-issues-coolant-product-recall/

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The only reason they recalled the coolant was because it did not have enough stuff to keep dogs from drinking it. Function is completely unaffected. NF just means Nitrite Free, which Ultra already is.

Here is Shell's actual recall on coolant products produced before about March 2016. Affected just about all of their coolants.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/shell-rotella-ultra-elc-product-return.html

Here is Shell's take on their coolants. Sounds like NF is actually superior to Ultra for our heavy duty engines with wet liners.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/media/2015/nitrate-free-elc.html

3. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    well I guess in three years I will change to the new red stuff.
    Terry, did your car arrive and make it up the driveway

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #4 Rifledriver, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Not yet. Aaron and John rebuilt the AC compressor, replaced the sump piece that has the drain, did a 5 year with all fluids, and the worst was installing the factory CF trim on the seats. Much more involved on the CF trim than we thought. I should owe him a pretty piece of change, even though the belt change was just a lock and swap since the cams were degreed last time. Both I and the 575M will miss Aaron and John. Not sure how good the service in Nashville will be, and that is an hour south of here.

Brian- If you use that same web site and choose Canada as your country instead of the US, they still show Ultra as available. May just be NLA in the US, or Canada is not as worried about dogs as the US.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The recall was 4 years ago. Hard to believe thats the issue. I wonder if it ran afoul of some new enviro rule for its contents, or possibly a new spec for an engine supplier. . Sounds like NF is a pretty parallel product anyway. I was looking at the product line, seems like not that long ago and NF never came up on my radar for some reason. Its well rated but so far the prices I see are pretty spendy.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, Mar 25, 2020
    Funny, their URL says nitrate free when they meant nitrite free (I think). Quite a difference chemically. From what I have read, the nitrite free ELCs and their OATs are adversely affected by any nitrite mixed with them. Shell also has nitrited ELCs with Hybrid OATs and one that needs SCAs at regular intervals. Even Zerex G05 has nitrited HOATs now, so not the same as the old G05, according to their 2020 spec sheet. Might last a bit longer so my 2 year interval will really be OK.

Sounds like the ELC NF will work fine in our Ferraris and it is a pretty color. Price is not too big a deal to an owner who pays relatively a lot more to have a pro change the coolant. I can see where it would be a disadvantage to a shop, though.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Does this change any of the recommendations for this in our cars ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, it just means Valvoline has updated Zerex G05 with modern nitrited HOAT additives that still prevent cavitation corrosion. See spec sheet attached.

Attached Files:

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #10 flash32, Mar 25, 2020
    I am a little confused.. why did g05 change and what did they change?

How does the new shell formula compare to old and is it the best choice for our cars ?

Thanks in advance

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    G05 changed so the additives do not wear out in 2 years like the previous non-Hybrid Organic Acid Technology additive package. Should be even better now. Shell Rotella Ultra and NF should work fine too for up to 6 years if you are brave enough. I will still change the G05 at two year intervals because I am a dinosaur.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In reality we wind up draining it out before then for some reason. I do feel comfortable doing it at five which is when we are doing belts anyway. Caps still only last 1 or 2 years max.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Antifreeze is under the microscope by EPA etc and engine manufacturers demand changes too.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Given the changes what is your call on which you favor now

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'm still going to use the Shell product. Which ever of the 2 I can get most easily. I am just not seeing a functional difference.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Funny, because I have had the same radiator cap since I bought her nearly 12 years ago. I bought two spares, but so far have not had to use them. There must be good ones and bad ones, just like Ferrari bronze valve guides.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On all the cars I service at most I get 2 years out of them. Makes no difference where I get them They are made by 2 or 3 companies and it seems to make no difference what brand.

18. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    so can I mix shell rotella ultra ELC and shell rotella nf ELC

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ask shell! Some coolants are not compat. Coolant of the same class generally are. FWIW I'm a G05 user. It is cheap and available and has anti-cavitation additives. There have been a few 550's with cavitation issues in the liners but that might have been caused by other issues unlike the inherent cavitation we see in diesel motors. Another reason for G05 is I can stock 1 coolant and use in my diesel truck too.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- They just (2020) updated G05, too, to include HOATs with nitrites. Works even better.

21. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Years ago, my indie convinced me to switch from DexCool (OAT) in the Astons to GO5 due to the potential for corrosion. He cited a number of examples of OAT issues, along with the long success of HOAT in Mercedes cooling systems. When it came time for the 550 change, we went with GO5 as well. We were doing changes every two years, so good to hear that the potetial for longer change intervals is possible. I now stock it for all of my cars - except for the Pantera, which has a brass radiator that apparently prefers traditional "green" antifreeze along with more frequent changes.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would stick with the two-year change interval. The nitrites in G05 HOATs still wear out pretty quickly.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  24. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    As far as I know different Gxx's are kind of generic standard. Each different number meets some specific requirements. G05 from Shell and Comma should have similar specs and work in similar setups. So I just find it surprising Comma G05 is for commercial vehicles. Their G48 is used in BMW E60 M5 V10 etc. which are probaly closer to same period Ferrari engines.