Power Steering (lack of) in pre-‘89 Mondials | FerrariChat

Power Steering (lack of) in pre-‘89 Mondials

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Louis Brown, Mar 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    So I see that power steering only became available in ‘89 for these Mondials. Disappointing because my only experience with Manual steering has come from my ownership of a Pontiac GTO 455. Operating this vehicle with a 4-speed was a serious hands-on operation and it wore me out over time to the point I converted it to power steering (against Pontiac purest culture of course). Can someone explain the experience of operating a pre-‘89 Mondial? Because if it’s laborious, I will be sticking with my search for a Mondial T. Thanks for input!

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Because of the mid engine layout, the weight on the front end is not that great, and the steering load is much less than on a front engine car. The lack of power steering would be noticed when trying to do a three point turn, or maneauver into a tight parking space. It is still not that hard at all, but it is not the one finger twirl you can do with power steering. I have daily driven my 3.2 Mondial Cab in gridlock traffic around downtown Toronto for years. Only when dealing with my office tower's tight underground parking spaces do I think power steering would be handy. The Mondial turning circle is pretty wide, so that presents more of the challenge than the steering weight, and wold be the same for the T.

There is a electric power steering add on you can purchase, expensive, there is an old thread where this was done and the owner was quite happy. But it would not be a common modification, most who want the power steering presumably go for the T. http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/type/7/56/Ferrari_Mondial.html

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Only an issue when tight parking and even then.....not a big deal.
    The plus side is the steering feel is way better All the time.

4. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    It's not too bad but the steering wheel is a bit on the small side ('82) so you do have to work for it a bit.
    My biggest gripe is actually the steering shaft flex joint. It's right where your left foot toes are (and I wear a sz9). So when you are doing multipoint turns, and clutching a lot, it compounds with the manual steering to make it not so fun...

5. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    I would say it's really not that bad. I was warned about this and nervous before getting the car, but in reality it's not a huge deal. I have a 65 Olds 442 with Manual steering and it's WAY WAY worse than the mondial. I noticed it became much easier when I went to the 16" Superformance wheels with 205 tires.

It's almost 100% only something you think about when you're doing very tight turns at very low speeds.

If this is a daily driver, then yeah probably not fun. For weekend cruising, no biggie.

6. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    Ok that’s a good comparison I needed from a fellow gm classic owner. Thanks

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    65 442. My other favorite car!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    With the electric EZ power steering the "feel" is exactly the same at speeds greater than parking speed as there is no assistance.

moysiuan likes this.
  9. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    My wife is 5’5” and 115 lbs. She has absolutely no problems or complaints with driving or parking our 88 3.2 and that is with 225’s on the front and 245’s on the rear. We are switching to 205/225 now so will get easier. I hope that answers your question.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

moysiuan and ronfrohock like this.
  10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Yes but on the T it's pwr assist robs you of the feedback

19633500GT likes this.
  11. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    You'll be fine with the Mondial manual steering like my '85 QV Cab has. Not bad at all at low speeds. Nothing like my '71 Mustang Mach 1 429 CJ-R 4 speed which has manual steering. That giant lump of steel big block over the front wheels makes a big difference, very much like your GTO. Granted, at speed the '71 Mach 1 feels fine for what it is. I can only get gas at the end pumps though. I had a '68 GTO 400 4 speed for a couple of years beginning in 1980, but it had power steering and that big steering wheel that was like something from a bus. lol

Louis Brown likes this.
  12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Power steering is for wimps. :)

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The Pontiac GTO had a steering box. A pitman arm. An antiquated setup.

The Mondial has a rack-and-pinion setup. They’re completely different. Try one and see.

Matt

14. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    I shall. Thank you. Concerns dissipated now

Smiles likes this.
  15. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    How do you feel about power brakes? :) ;)

Regards,
    Jerry

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I have two cars without power brakes.

Matt

gsfent likes this.
  17. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I certainly hope you haven't succumbed to the (gasp) electric starter? :)

Regards,
    Jerry

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Yup.

This is one of the two.

Matt

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wade, davem, spicedriver and 2 others like this.
  19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Wow. I am almost afraid to ask if you think the steam engine is better than the new fangled ICE?? :)

Stunning looking car. Hope you get to enjoy it often!

Regards,
    Jerry

20. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  21. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I have an 85 QV. I recently drove a friend's 93 T. I was surprised at how much less road feel there is at speed. To me, it felt a bit mushy and seemed too twitchy. Of course I'm used to the unassisted version. I'm sure all the T guys here appreciate having it without really thinking about it.

davem likes this.
  22. pbaron89

pbaron89 Karting

May 17, 2013
    Fort Lauderdale , FL
    Full Name:
    Peter Baron
    i would say, as an ex-owner of 3.2 and now own a coupe and cab t...

the 3.2 is not bad as long as you pre-meditate your moves at slow speed.. but a 3 point turn in. hurry is not fun.. My wife did not like driving it at all due to the steering. once you are moving is nice.

ive driven a ton of cars without power steering or brakes and most you really dont notice.. the 3.2 i did. i like driving it. but like i mentioned in other threads i love the T's steering.

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  24. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    A poster no longer active here who had suffered a stroke, losing some strength in one arm. TomB from NY daily drove an 86 3.2 coupe with over a 100k.
    He did fit a cheater knob on the wheel to help.
    So if good old Tom could manage....

djs308 likes this.
  25. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Part of the problem with the QV not having power steering is also related to the original tyre size. The QV had 240/55/VR 390 tyres all around.
    Whilst not overly big for the rear, few cars ( with or without power steering ) had 240 tyres on the front .
    As mentioned in earlier posts, once you're moving faster than walking pace it's not noticeable, but trying to park in a tight space can require some muscle power
    (if you don't go the cheater knob route ! ) :)