208 Turbo questions | FerrariChat

208 Turbo questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by 2Velocebro, Mar 25, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Hi all!

I'm a Naval Officer stationed in Naples, Italy and am looking for something cool and unique to bring back with me and enjoy when I get back stateside that I couldn't really get in the US. I'm a longtime Ferrari fan, and nearly bought a 348 a couple of years ago but that car was bought before I could get it inspected and I ended up buying another type of car. Anyways, I feel like it's time to jump into Ferrari ownership, and I think a 208 Turbo or Turbo GTS/GTB is the car to do it with.

For a little background, I've never owned a Ferrari, and have only driven a Mondial 3.2 and a 348 and really liked them both. I know the experience will be different with the 80s turbo feel in the 208s, but I'm sure it'll be awesome in its own right. I have an Alfa Romeo 4C back in the states, so I really enjoy the small engine-turbo boost feel. I expect that the 208 turbo is similar in some ways. Unfortunately, I've never driven or ridden in a 308/328 to compare the 208s to.

I've read some of the 208 threads on here and see that the common advice is to go for a similarly priced 308/328 but I just think the 208s are super cool and a unique part of Ferrari history and now have my heart set on one. With that said, I some questions that I'm hoping you fine folks can help me with.

-Are there many that have been imported to the US? If so, do you know of any indy shops there that specialize in them, or at least have some experience working on them?

-Does anyone know of any shops/dealers here in Italy that specialize in them? I don't speak great Italian, but have some Italian friends who can help me out if they don't have any English speakers there.

-The engine is obviously pretty different, but are there other major mechanical differences between a 208 Turbo and the 308/328? Are there any common issues outside of the normal things to look for when inspecting a 308/328 that I should be aware of when inspecting a 208 Turbo or Turbo GTB/GTS?

-Is it unrealistic to hold out for a Turbo GTS/GTB for under €50,000. I'm a little flexible on the budget, but would prefer to keep it under €50k. I've seen some 208 Turbos based on the 308 in this price range, but not really any of the later Turbo models based on the 328.

Thank you all in advance for any insight you can provide. My timeline to buy is pretty open. I transfer back to the US early next year, so would like to purchase one by the end of the year if possible. The country is shut down right now, and the main priority of everyone here is and should be overcoming the coronavirus. I will really start my search after we get through this pandemic. I just have a lot of time right now staying at home, so figured it'd be a good time to do research now and know what to look for when it is safe to do so.

Thanks!
    Brandon

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Fchat has a 8cyl Turbo guru He wrote a book on them, He is in Italy and is in what seems a stressful lockdown. Im sure he will see this thread.

F40org and Albert-LP like this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You came to the right place. Your answers will appear shortly

Albert-LP and absostone like this.
  4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jim Glickenhaus added a Turbo to his stable, albeit with celebrity ownership.

As you are in Italy though, I would think you would find a later Ferrari to be had for equal money??

Any of the 308/328s now are firmly in the Vintage category...jus' sayin'!!

Albert-LP likes this.
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jim Glickenhaus added a Turbo to his stable, albeit with celebrity ownership.

As you are in Italy though, I would think you would find a later Ferrari to be had for equal money??

Any of the 308/328s now are firmly in the Vintage category...jus' sayin'!!

7. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    I have a Southern Italian 208 GT 4 , it’s normally aspirated , the point I'm making is its rust free and OEM has not been molested .
    You are in an ideal place Naples , we bought our Med cruiser boat there an Itama .
    You know the blue hulled white top open sports boats you see lined up downtown at the marinas .
    As far as the 208 T ....go for it far greater uber cool factor and rare outside the mother country .

Your plan is good .....go for it .

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    His useful and interesting book and sure Alberto will answer you soon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F40org, Albert-LP and absostone like this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I didn’t know if he was up to it

10. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    He is still posting.

11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I like the 208 variants but I would pick a 308/328 over a 208 especially for export outside of Italy. I hope this doesn't upset Alberto :)

Rifledriver likes this.
  12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I know but I can’t say to the OP “here contact so and so”

13. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  14. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    That's a fair point, and I definitely like the later models too. The 308/328 shape is very classic though, and the 208 is very unique and has a cool history which really has me set on one of those.

15. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
  16. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Awesome, thank you!!! I'm excited to start the search soon!

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Would I buy a Turbo, compared to other 3x8 alternatives? No. But one cannot argue against another's passion. Good luck in your search. :)

18. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Cool, I'll shoot Alberto a DM. I tried ordering his book on Amazon, but they've stopped shipping non-essential items out here

19. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Thank you! I understand they're not for everyone, but I find them really cool. I'd at least like to try one out and get the opportunity of owning one for a while. Plus, there are a good amount of 3x8s in the US if I decide to go that route later. I won't really have an opportunity like this again to get a 208.

thorn and absostone like this.
  20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Same.

You like what you like. I love those little 180 hp (more accurate) oil burning, sodium valve 2Vi's

That was what was rolling out of the factory and into car magazines when I discovered them back in 7th grade.

My favorites always.

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #21 Albert-LP, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    here I am. I think if you do a search you will find a lot of useful things I wrote about all those cars. At present I wouldn't go out in Italy and inspect a car: better staying at home. When all this mess will have an end, if you want I can do a PPI or find you a good car and so on. But not now, sorry. As I wrote many times, the early 82-85 model 208 turbo is gorgeous and fascinating, but usually they are destroyed or at least with an engine ready to be rebuilt. Second version 86-89 (the GTS only, the GTB is quite rare) is more common here, not so fascinating but powerful and very reliable. The most expensive of them all is a very low miles or a fully restored (and so reliable) early model, then the GTB turbo, then the GTS turbo, then a 208 turbo 82-85 unrestored in average conditions. But what you don't pay frst, you will pay later, or even more.

Very low miles 208 turbo 82-85 are ultra rare: I sold one I had to an enthusiast from Austria and he didn't give me 50 k...

ciao

PS
    I paid the silver one (the one you can see here) 39K. At the end it costed me 74 k, and it wasn't a very bad car when I got it. Now it's a concourse condition car with even Classiche, ok, but this gives you an idea. I think 208 turbo is not a car for a pocket empty enthusiast: it's better suited for a big collector that wants to add a very exotic car to his collection. Picture Copyright

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Hi Albert. Yeah, absolutely it's best for everyone to stay at home in effected countries, but especially us here in Italy. After this all passes that would be awesome if you could help me find one/perform the ppi!!! I'd very much appreciate that!

That's very true on the pay now or pay later, fortunately it's something I'm prepared for. I'm not a top level collector by any means, but I'm budgeting if any extra work would need to be done. I sold my Jaguar E-Type roadster before I left the US and have that money set aside to buy the Ferrari and any do any maintenance/repairs.

It's good to know I can get a good one for less than 50k. I'm looking to get the best I can and have about 20k for repairs/deferred maintenance. As far as maintenance prices, are they much more expensive to maintain than a 308/328?

23. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Albert-LP and absostone like this.
  24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Brandon, I'm not a big collector too: I wanted to say that you must have some money to take car of a car that is not cheap to restore and if you are a big collector this car will be the cherry on the cake. I got my one when prices were very low, you won't find such a car at 39 k today (even if maybe better saying "Yesterday", as today everything is stopped here).

208 turbo were very cheap some years ago as preowned cars. They were usually owned by moneyless Italians owners that got them preowned and never did any maintenance and drove them until they failed and rusted. A big dealer here always told me: "it's very easy to find a 208 turbo here in Italy, but it's very hard to find a good one, and if you want a good one, you have to pay it". He was right.

If you are in Italy, I think you can buy the English edition of my book directly here:

hardcover (recomended): https://www.youcanprint.it/trasporto-automobilistico-storia/ferrari-the-turbo-eight-cylinders-1982-1989-9788831639149.html
    softcover (cheaper): https://www.youcanprint.it/trasporto-automobilistico-storia/ferrari-the-turbo-eight-cylinders-1982-1989-9788831639477.html

Let's stay in contact.

ciao

25. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    No worries, I didn't take it like that. You're rightr it is very true, so many people don't research and buy a car like this, but aren't prepared for the maintenance costs. I'm prepared, but trying to do it as reasonably as possible. (If that's even possible with a Ferrari! Lol)

Sounds good, after the virus lockdown passes I'll be ready to get in depth with the search, and hopefully finally own my first Ferrari!!!

Also, I switched my Amazon mailing address to my FPO address on base and Amazon let me buy your book that way! So, good news is, it's on the way. Bad news is, because of the virus slowing things down, Amazon estimates I'll get it in like 3 weeks.

Albert-LP likes this.