Setting PIS on Launch X431 | FerrariChat

Setting PIS on Launch X431

Discussion in '360/430' started by tstuli, Mar 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I've received a few requests from folks from DM over the last few months on using the Launch X431 to set the PIS on their car.

I tried to document the steps, and also give a bit of theory on what it is and why we're setting it. I'll try and be adding more details on other functions of this scan tool. This is Maserati specific but the same principal applies to the f430, etc.

At the very least if you're interested in how the X431 works, have a look.

https://gransportmaserati.wordpress.com/2020/03/22/setting-clutch-pis/

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's great info, thanks!!
    I don't have a 360 anymore, but I do have the Launch X431, so I can help friends out if necessary.

3. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I’ve been looking for this info for a while, without luck. Thanks VERY much for posting this. I’m accumulating everything for my first “annual” and want to learn to do the clutch settings also.

If anyone has a good link for the Launch X431 I would appreciate it. Amazon has a lot of counterfeit ones.....

4. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Awesome write-up, thanks for taking the time.

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I bought this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAUNCH-X431-Pros-Mini-V-Pro-ScanPad-OBD2-Automotive-Diagnostic-Tool-ECU-Coding/274033353402?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

A little hint..... He accepted my Best Offer of $600

I love it, It's a great tool!

AandSC likes this.
  6. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
  7. frankgoodson

frankgoodson Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    Does it also reset the clutch when you have a new clutch?

What Ferrari models does it work for?

8. r1racer703

r1racer703 Rookie

May 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    r1racer703
    @tstuli My PIS was at 5.08...is that normal? I saw the new closed clutch position at 19.05mm and clutch wear at 900. Where is the self calibrated closed clutch position? Thanks!

9. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Sorry just seeing your question now. It very well could be. I find most dealers leave them fairly wide. You may be able to close it down a bit but you can't compare one cars setting to another directly.

10. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    Resurrecting an old thread here. The grandsportmaserati link does not work anymore. FChatters who "liked" the original message...is there any chance you might have a copy of the info that was contained in that link? I'll be using a X431 Pros Mini soon and I'm trying to get smart on it. This is for optimizing the PIS on my 612. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

@brogenville , @irix , @Fenz , @Flea7 , @AandSC , @up4speed , @cpep , @EurosportPerformance

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Warm up car ..drive for at least 15 miles getting transmission hot
    Adjust PIS using launch until you see rpm in output shaft jump up from zero..back off on pis a little
    That pretty much it

You can also just feel the car ..adjust until car moves when in gear and just releasing brake ..back off a tad on pis

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

12. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    Thanks, Flash. PM sent.

13. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    It listed on the Launch 431 as “ output shaft “ ? Live stream data I assume

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Gearbox angular speed iirc

Beat thing is to put display live data and see which one changes as you start to move before doing any changes

Identify the parameter , see that it actually communicates with your car and then start to adjust

15. Sundayjumper

Sundayjumper Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Apologies for going OT but - I need a scanner and I'm finding it bewildering which one to choose. This week I emailed ebay seller "UK-LAUNCH" who claim to be an official authorised store, to ask about about the X431 Pro Elite and they said it doesn't have the PIS function. On asking which scanner I need, they said none of them do it ! What gives ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/kingboleneu?_trksid=p4429486.m145687.l149086

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    What year 360 do you have -- the earlier years the launch and many others do not communicate with the gearbox TCU
    if you have an earlier year - you can upgrade your TCU to a CS version and then even a Thinkdiag ( very inexpensive) can read/ write most TCU parameters
    I have recommended this path for anyone who wants to work on their cars and don't have access to a SD tool or leo

imahorse and DanNE like this.
  17. Sundayjumper

Sundayjumper Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mine was registered July 2000, but the TCU is already upgraded to a 197533. However I didn't specify that in my question to them, I just said "360" and the answer was a flat "no".

Thinkdiag looks to be WAY cheaper. This ? https://thinkdiag.co.uk I'm in the UK.

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You can try the thinkdiag ..same software as the launch pro models for the 360 ..

19. Sundayjumper

Sundayjumper Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll pitch them the same compatibility question and see what they say. Ta !

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You will never get a straight answer ..just buy it and try it ..if it doesn't work send it back

Not sure how it is in UK ..but Amazon makes it too easy here

21. Sundayjumper

Sundayjumper Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I wanted to get them to say "yes" so that returning it would be clear-cut if it didn't work ! I've gone ahead and ordered a Thinkdiag anyway. It's still not throwaway money but something that runs on my phone may well prove to be handy on other cars. I'll post an update once it's here.

22. Corse Modi

Corse Modi Rookie

Jul 15, 2023
    England
    Full Name:
    corse modi
    sundayjumper, I have a 2000 360 with the same TCU as you have. Recently purchased a LAUNCH tool with the latest FERRARI software , it does the P I S ,but not a great deal more ( in my experience anyway), I'm based in Dorset UK, more than welcome to come and try it.

23. Sundayjumper

Sundayjumper Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cheers for the offer. I’m Berkshire/Surrey border so not a million miles but a bit of a trek. I’ll give the thinkdiag a go and feed back.

24. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I set my PIS with the Thinkdiag to around 4.05 (anything lower and it starts to become annoying) and it runs great. My clutch wear has become less and less, almost steady since I did that ... I also learned how to shift in time so it might have made a difference....

EDIT: 2005 F430 fyi... 12.5 % clutch wear as reading now.

25. Sundayjumper

Sundayjumper Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ThinkDiag received today, seems to be the same ! Reads engine & gearbox but nothing else. A can be a topic for another thread. I wanted to look at the ABS / ASR system.

Anyway it has read my PIS no problem and it seems quite high from other posts I've seen - I'm at 5.22. I'll try tweaking it down a touch tomorrow.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login