Would you approve of Alonso taking Vettel’s seat come 2021? | FerrariChat

Would you approve of Alonso taking Vettel’s seat come 2021?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think Alonso deserves a little punishment: If he comes back to Ferrari he gets beaten by his team mate because Charles is faster and second they both get beaten by the field because their car is crap.

So yeah, bring Fred home!:D

LVP488 and william like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

LOL!!

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I think he has about as much chance of ever returning to Ferrari as he does to Honda.

william likes this.
  5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    He still has to go to Alpha Tauri to complete his record of "I've left every team I've raced for because they were bad just to return a few years later".

P.S: I've voted NO. I think the guy can do the job, but it's time to look ahead. Ricciardo, Sainz and others will be available soon.

william likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    At his age he has been out of a F1 cockpit for too long. His racecraft is probably still there but I wonder if he has the outright speed of Charles or Max. He wouldn't have committed the on track blunders that Vettel has at Ferrari.

SimCity3 and Isobel like this.
  7. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I'm honestly surprised the voting is as close as it is right now. I though't, and hope, he'd burned all bridges. I think he's just too toxic for F1 these days.

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I love Fred (sorry Pedro) but he wouldn’t be the ideal candidate to help win a championship. I believe the kids are probably quicker than him now but nowhere near as cutthroat. Thought the same about the return of Shoe.....Obviously great but time (and car alterations) waits for no one.

jgonzalesm6, william and 375+ like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Fernando races hard but fair, he drives wheel to wheel without colliding with the opposition(Max). Tenacious competitor.

Adrian Thompson, Isobel and SimCity3 like this.
  10. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    As a huge Alonso fan, even I think it's time for Formula 1 to move forward. The young talent coming into the series has provided a breath of fresh air that is so desperately needed in the sport. Let's find more of that instead of focusing in the past.

william likes this.
  11. I say put him in a car and let's see his times. Simple as that.
    You know the racecraft is still there...

Alonso is toxic? F1 is toxic to begin with! Ferrari is toxic! One more fox in the pen ain't gonna make an iota of difference...

fer312t likes this.
  12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would. I think while alonso was not successful at Ferrari the car let him down. Vettel has had a good car sometimes but not fully capitalized on the opportunity. Vettel is best when everything goes his way. Alonso makes the best of what he's got. I would also ditch binotto for briatorre

DF1 likes this.
  13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Nope.

Far too many whipper snappers far more deserving and capable.

william likes this.
  14. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    He doesn't have the fire in his belly to do the job of winning. Too many drivers on the current grid are in the same boat...their days and their primes have past. Both Haas driver, Ricci, Kimi, Vettel, Perez, Kvyat, and maybe even Sainz if McLaren doesn't give him a winning car this year. Add to that the young drivers who are just not talented enough...Gasly, Giovanazzi, Stroll, Russell...and you've got 12 drivers out of 20 who are just filling space on the grid. Hamilton/Mercedes is still the big story and the team to beat. But I'm not so sure the car isn't pushing/carrying him...I sense his ego wants to beat Michael, but I don't sense the hunger to get him there. So he can have easy days at the office beating Bottas. Of the remaining drivers, it will be Albon vs Max, with Leclerc and Ocon fighting for the crumbs. Maybe Alonzo could replace Grosjean at Haas or Kimi at Alfa.

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You rate Albon over Leclerc and Ocon on par with Leclerc? Interesting.

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Charles would "toughen up" facing FA and it would help him vs Max. I like this FA return to Ferrari idea very much!

375+ likes this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Pedro must be in isolation.

Igor Ound likes this.
  18. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    After his tantrums at McLaren I hope he stays away from F1. Can't see why any team would want to work with him after that.

william likes this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Whats the point putting him in? Ferrari's problems aren't related to the driver.

zygomatic and johnireland like this.
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  21. Maybe because it's fun (as hell) to watch a two-time agressive and talented World Champion race at the front of the pack in a competitive car? In all fairness, who wouldn't want to see something like that in F1?

Igor Ound and Bas like this.
  22. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think it's too late at this point. Poor Fred wasted his prime years at Ferrari.......

Bas and william like this.
  23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    agree
    Agree with that...but also with the (now) 2022 rules meaning that's the first time something really good can happen in F1 (racing wise)....I'm not holding my breath.

I think the most likely scenario (by some margin) to happen is that Ricciardo will go to Ferrari after Vettel.

stavura, 375+ and Igor Ound like this.
  24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hell no. He's toxic. We need younger blood to move on, that is if, Vettel is not being considered again.

william likes this.
  25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well..Harrison Ford will play "Indiana Jones" again in "Indiana Jones 5", and he will be 78...so why couldn't Fernando start all over again? He is not 78 yet? Or is he aready? Remember me, what was exactly the year of his last title? 2006?? (Indiana Jones 4 was not yet on the screens!)

Come on guys, don't be ridiculous: F1 is for young guys. Fernando's time is past. Made the wrong choices, granted, but as some other old fart sung in some distant times: "Time waits for no-one".
    Game over.

He can have a chat with that other old fart, Flavio Briatore, and reflect on his career which started beautifully, then languished in the doldrums. GAME OVER.

Rgds

william likes this.