Top won't go down | FerrariChat

Top won't go down

Discussion in '360/430' started by slysnake, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slysnake

slysnake Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Proctor
    I have a 2002 360 spider. The battery is dead but I put a jumper cable on the posts behind the front seat, turned the car on, and tried to lower the top. I hear a faint beeping noise when I push the button but there is no movement in the windows, cover, or top. could it be the weak battery or do you think there's another problem with the top?

sly

2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Car needs to be running.

3. slysnake

slysnake Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Proctor
    Actually running or just ignition in on position?

4. slysnake

slysnake Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Proctor
    One other thing. I hear a motor of some kind running that sounds like it is from the front of the car. Runs continually. has that got anything to do with the top? Dead battery is a brand new deep cell that died after one day so something is draining it over night.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You need a fully charged battery. Take care of that first.

Marcoboxer likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Fix the electrical system first. Top later.

Dewinator and Marcoboxer like this.
  7. slysnake

slysnake Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Proctor
    #7 slysnake, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Fix the electrical system first. Yeah, that's what I wanted to work on. Thought it would be easier to go through the fuses if I took the seats out and lowered the top.

Any idea on the sound of a motor in the front? Is that the pump that runs the top hydraulics?

Took the battery out and have it on a charger now.

8. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The hydraulic pump for the top is behind the removable the panel where the seat belt recoils into on the passenger side.

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I strongly suggest before you do anything more, to get intimately familiar with the important bits of your car and where they are located. These are simple cars, but are very different than your average Toyota or even Porsche.

The best way to start that is to read the owner's and workshop manual. A rather boring and detailed read but if you can get through them, you'll know a heck of a lot more than you do now and stand a much better chance of fixing your car without making it worse. Also, go to https://www.ricambiamerica.com/ or another parts supplier and read over every page of the parts diagrams. You'll need to be familiar with those so you can actually find a part if you need to buy one.

Here's a link to every 360 manual I've been able to locate:

http://www.usnaviguide.com/Ferrari360

Another interesting and useful place to go to understand your car is eBay. The pictures in the workshop manual and the parts diagrams are not all that clear. A really good way to get a look at actual parts from many angles is to see them for sale. I've learned a huge amount of good information about those individual parts from looking at eBay listings. Virtually every part is for sale, usually from a car dismantler.

Once you have an idea what each box and doohickey does, what it looks like and where it's located, you stand a much better chance of finding and fixing problems yourself.

Good luck!

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I fix these for a living. So does the other guy who told you to fix the electrics first.

I never once felt like taking the seats out aided in fixing electrical issues. Be systematic. Or, waste time, money and don't get it fixed right.

Get a battery in it. Find out what is killing the battery. In that process it is very possible other issues will be cured. Then get back to us.

11. slysnake

slysnake Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Proctor
    Thank you. Purchased a workshop manual

12. slysnake

slysnake Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Proctor
    Thanks again EastMemphis, that link is a gold mine!

13. slysnake

slysnake Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Proctor
    Got the battery fully charged and hooked back up and sure enough, the top went down fine!! I assumed the battery was fully charged when I bought it but that must not have been the case.

Also did the battery parasitic drain test and found no abnormal key off drain. So I'm pretty happy right now. Now if the weather would only get nicer so I can go for a drive.

Thanks again for all the help

sly

Marcoboxer and 2NA like this.