Suggestions on how to fix this. | FerrariChat

Suggestions on how to fix this.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ak Jim, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    That or cable like a brake cable from a bicycle so it flexes easily.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    A loop of electric cable, both ends crimped with an eyelet connector, and a bit of heat shrink tubing to make it look better.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As far as the lamp is concerned it is just inserted with moderate force (no screws), and held in place by two "side pins". In order to play it safe you can try to apply pressure to the pins while removing the lamp. Be careful not to hurt your fingers as the metal is quite sharp next to the fuse boxes (my fuseboxes are not stock but you get the idea).

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking the wire with the round terminals is the way to go. Did replace the bulb for the glove box? I'm thinking an LED would be the way to go if for no other reason than keeping the heat down.

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Some 44mm led bulb are ordered, but who knows where they were lost in the last few weeks.

It's hard to find bulbs that are not overly blueish, and from past experience the cheap stuff does not like alternator voltage (good voltage regulator and new brushes do help) . On my old Renault, had to revert back to regular bulbs as the led would fail within a couple of months. The plan is to test leds in the glove box, hood and trunk prior to mess with the fragile roof.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Good plan. Let us know what you come up with for LED bulbs.

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #7 Il Tifoso, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    About 4 years ago @Martin308GTB offered LEDs he either had made or made himself (I can’t recall). They were intended to replace the bulb under the parking brake lever on 308s which can get quite hot - I ended up buying an extra “white” one (it’s exactly like the yellowish-warm color of the original bulb) since it’s the same bulb fitment as in the 400/412 glovebox. These have been installed in both my 308 and 412 with no problems at all, for 4+ years. Maybe @Martin308GTB can chime in with details (thanks again Martin!).

Here’s a pic of it installed in my 412’s glovebox.

Ruben

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Ruben,

thanks for bringing up this topic again. And thanks for mentioning your long term experience.
    For details, here's my old thread from back then:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-handbrake-lever-bulb-led-solution.511151/

If there's enough interest, I would love to make a batch for you 4xx-owners for glove box use. Like Ruben said, the warm-white LEDs match the original light colour perfectly. The handbrake lever versions I dimmed a bit, so that the illumination of the center console doesn't distract while driving in the dark.
    Of course I do not dim the glove box versions.
    Regarding heat, current and voltage: The LED light just draws 3,6% of current, compared with the original bulb. (250mAmps vs. 9 mAmps).
    The LED lights works in a voltage range from around 8V up to 18V. (what means, it wouldn't burn out if an alternator regulator fails).

Now for the hard part.
    Currently I am not able to supply any goods to the United States, since due to the current virus circumstances DHL and others don't accept shipments to various overseas destinations for now. Among which there are the whole U.S. And even some regions within Europe.
    But if there's interest in these lights for your glove boxes, I would make a small batch when things are back to normal.
    Just let me know.

Best Regards from Germany
    Stay Healthy!
    Martin

Il Tifoso likes this.
  9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I'd be interested! Also I haven't checked yet but is this the same bulb that's used for the interior light? In a perfect world it would be nice to get a brighter bulb for the interior.

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Regarding the interiour light. AFAIK the interior light bulbs have more wattage, than the glove box or 308 handbrake lever light.
    Thanks for your interest. I bring back the topic when things are back to normal.

Best from Germany
    Martin

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thx!