430 - Oil question... is there a difference?? | FerrariChat

430 Oil question... is there a difference??

Discussion in '360/430' started by PCarRI, Mar 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Hey y’all. Crappy day in New England on quarantine so gonna change the oil in the F430. Only had it for a week, but want to start it off right with me since I don’t have a record of the last oil change. I ordered three cases of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, the below
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

However what I got was the below. Bottle is different, no Ferrari logo and I can’t seem to get a straight answer if it’s the same or not. Seems like a completely different SKU as well, but everything else seems the same. Is it just the Ferrari logo difference???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Car is just over 30k so I know I need to do it all (brake fluid, trans fluid, plugs) but only the oil stuff came in from Amazon. People need to stop ordering all that toilet paper!! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I am not sure about that at all. 2nd Bottle says it is made from natural gas though? I use redline racing oil in my 360

3. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
  4. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Am I making much ado about nothing? Lol
    I feel like since this is my first oil change for the new baby I’m going overboard... full synthetic should be full synthetic right??

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I did a quick search could come up with anything ..looks like it may be a money thing to use the logo .. just my guess .. I would feel good about it since it still has all the same approvals ..vw bmw etc .. on Pennzoil site the bottle looks like yours and they still state it is approved by Ferrari and Maserati .. I wouldnt have an issue using it .. besides .. it is the right oil for your car ..grade etc so I wouldn't sweat it

One thing I would do was to reach out in email to Pennzoil and ask ..you may have done that already

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Just a guess, but I think one or more of their licenses to use the auto makers’ name or logo expired, or conflicted with a maker’s other endorsement contract, so Pennzoil had to change the label.

Mostly it doesn’t really matter, so long as the oil is the right kind (full synthetic), weight, and SAE spec. That said, some are known to foam more than others in the dry sump system of these cars. You can tell by opening the oil fill cap while the car is warmed up and running. Shell’s oil (which was recommended originally by Ferrari) seemed to foam a lot. The Redline I use, not nearly as much. I don’t know if it makes any difference, but it seems to me mixing air into oil so it foams, isn’t good for bearings.

It probably wouldn’t hurt to try Pennzoil this time, see if/how much it foams, then try a different brand next oil change.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Send it to me and I'll dispose of it. I'll just have to drive more and harder to justify more than one oil change per year.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If u r doing the oil change yourself, be sure to read up on the screen filter before you start.

9. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    This screen? The one that goes above the plate w the 4 small screws that’s torqued to some ridiculously small number like 6nm?

What about it?

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Eh, I’m gonna use the oil I got...
    Related to that screen, it’s really like 5 ft lbs torqued down on those 4 screws huh?

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Some people have got in trouble trying to mess with that, end up chewing the screw heads and cannot get them out. I think they might Use loctite on them- careful

12. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Thanks Mike. At 5 ft lbs if they don't come off fairly easily I just won't mess with them and let the indy I use for big ticket issues do that part.

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I dont see anyone using a torque wrench on them, it will be good judgement. If u have an F1 gearbox , avoid changing the hydraulic fluid yourself. U need the correct equipment to tackle that job.

14. GVS1999

GVS1999 Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If no much different on price, why not pick up the one with the logo on it? Just my 2 cents.

15. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    I did pick the one with the logo on it, but they shipped the one without it. Bought from both Amazon and Advance Auto Parts, same result.

16. GVS1999

GVS1999 Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as they have same spec.

17. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Some random comments...

The factory recommended Shell oil foams terribly. I honestly have no idea how much ch oil is in my car (and I’ve tried all the start/stop tricks).

Will be replacing with Redline as recommended by John at IFS (as soon as I get the car to him next week).

Lack of Ferrari logo does not necessarily mean different oil...simply licensing legal stuff go into on.

Need4Spd likes this.
  18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The Shell oil foaming in mine is not a problem, remember the sump hold about 10 ltrs so lots of time to release the entrained air.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Shell oil with the little Ferrari logos foamed badly in my V12, too. Changed to Valvoline full synthetic and no problems with foaming.

Need4Spd likes this.
  20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Foaming is a problem when you try to measure how much oil you have. It has to be measured with the engine running and hot (because it expands considerably). Under those conditions, the Shell oil has so much foam that it’s next to impossible to get a read with any confidence as to accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I
    I have absolutely no problem dipping my sump these past 6 years with ultra in it.

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    FYI,
    The one's with the Ferrari logo are hard to find due to them not being in production. In my search, I found them at NAPA auto on sale for $6.09 per qt. I exhausted the inventory of the local area NAPA of the logo'ed oil. :D

Below is the site page. Also, just because the webpage shows the logo qt. picture does not mean you will receive that one. The part number has been superseded. I would call to make sure they have the old stock in inventory.

Good luck!

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PZN550040834?keywordInput=pen+550040834

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Foam makes a lousy lubricant.

24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Well, the oil is said to be engineered where the foam helps with lubrication. It was discussed on fchat somewhere?

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Believable Story.