Anyone have a summary of removing dash to replace radio? | FerrariChat

Anyone have a summary of removing dash to replace radio?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Steve1979, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    Hi all,

I would like to replace the radio in my 2010 California but can’t seem to locate a summary of instructions for removing the mid dash. I have found plenty of pictures showing what it looks like with it off but nothing that breaks down what needs to happen to get to that point.

Any direction is greatly appreciated!

golm, artsd and whatheheck like this.
  2. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi
    I have done the replacement radio and it would take pure time to go through everything,
    So my advice is starting from the passenger side remove the airbag warning plate, then unscrew everything towards the drivers side
    So
    Remove airbag plate, glove box, hazard warning light switch, then the trim surrounding then the trim around the drivers footwell
    The only wire that you need to be careful off damaging is the aircon thermostat attached on the trim directly below the radio you have to disconnect the cable as the unit itself is not accessible.
    I broke mine not a biggie at £98.00 to replace but took 2 weeks for delivery and that was before the Coronavirus outbreak.

take your time don’t force anything
    A big touch and a mirror is essential to use.

good luck

Andrew

3. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the suggestions. I’m back and forth on this. The radio definitely needs to be upgraded. Is eight hours accurate for the removal time?

4. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    8 Hrs !
    Taking your time and being careful i think 2 hours is closer to the mark.
    Cheers
    Andrew

NicoFerrari likes this.
  5. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    2 hours I can do! I read eight hours and thought I must be more complex than I thought. Thanks!

6. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    I’ll do a quick update as I’m sure some others will run into these questions if they attempt this.

The most frustrating issue I’m having is finding the correct harness(es) to go from the stock unit to the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX.

I’m ok losing the steering wheel controls but I can’t seem to find an adapter (or info on the way to connect) the AM/FM+GPS+SDARS connectors (these are pictured with the mustard yellow, blue, and white push on connectors with multicolor tips).

I also can’t find info on an adapter for the white connector or the gray that says “Phantom Power” 245789.

I also had a small fan that was connected the lower trim (it had a vent by the driver knee) break off. Not sure what that piece is or does but it would be nice to replace it while everything is off. I put a pic of it below. It has the red protective wrap on it.

On a positive note, I did figure out if you Becker CCGW plugged in the “System Not Programmed” alert goes away.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  7. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
  8. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    A few other thoughts I’ve had is:

1. The new pioneer radio has a GPS antenna it wants me to run but the old had GPS so somehow there should be a way to use the old one (and an adapter to allow the old cord to plug into the pioneer).

2. Same but for the microphone. The stock radio used one so there is one already there. Whichever cord it is should have an available adapter.

3. The stock radio had the three connectors for AM/FM, GPS, and SDARS, how do those tie into the pioneer aside from the AM/FM that goes into the antenna jack.

9. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    #9 Andrew Leather-Barrow, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Hi Steve,
    You broke the air con thermostat after I warned you! :rolleyes:
    I also fitted a pioneer unit an avic 920 Dab with wireless car play.
    I posted my fit on the forum
    Don’t use the original GPS antenna or you will damage the pioneer unit.
    Do use the microphone as it is superior to the one originally fitted ( I mounted mine discreetly) it is essential for the proper functionality of all the units features ( Apple car play is 100% hands free using voice control including sending/ receiving Emails, texts, what’s app etc.
    You will have to modify your radio metal surround plate
    You will need to cut the top off the mounting cradle ( the pioneer is 1.5mm too high)
    You will need to source the blanking plates for either side of the radio (connect 2 conversation kit for Chrysler/ jeep double din).
    Wiring is simple plug and play with the pioneer universal CANBUS for Chrysler ( retains ALL steering wheel controls).
    I had a scroll wheel made for the Center console to allow rejection and answering of the telephone without touching the screen ( it also as well mirrors all the steering wheel functions)
    The phantom power cable you disconnect the fly lead to leave the small connector, this cable was for the Radio / track/ hdd info displayed next to the odometer in the speedometer binnacle.

If any other information is required please just ask

cheers

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  10. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    #10 Andrew Leather-Barrow, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Hi again
    I’ve just been out and taken a few pictures of the DAB antenna , GPS antenna and microphone position
    I have included a couple of other pictures that could aid your installation along with the correct harness that you will need for the connectors ( the Canbus part of it will not work you need to incorporate the pioneer unit )
    This will also sort out your rear view camera ( if you have one)
    I also fitted a front parking camera ( very useful).

cheers
    Andrew

Attached Files:

whatheheck likes this.
  11. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    I don’t think the air con thermostat stood a chance given how brittle small plastic pieces are in this car. I noticed that connector as I was pulling it off but the small side pieces had already cracked. I just replaced the window/top switches and repaired the door speakers for the same brittle plastic issue. Any idea what the part number is for that? I’ve looked through the Scuderia Parts a/c diagrams, interior diagrams, and googled it with no success.

It looks like the Connects2 is a UK based company. Does this RP4-CH11 look to be th same:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pac-all-in-one-radio-replacement-and-steering-wheel-control-interface-for-select-chrysler-dodge-jeep-and-ram-vehicles-blue/6449797.p?skuId=6449797

12. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi there,
    The link that you posted is the wrong product I’m afraid, the white connector is missing along With the camera lead.
    Please see the attached
    You will need to source the adapter from Italy that is the only place to purchase this item.
    The connect 2 module along with the blanking plate and the climate control thermostat can be purchased from EBay choose fed ex shipping it will be with you in 7 days
    The part numbers are all clearly visible so a little bit of research will be needed to try and find a more local supplier

I did all this on my own, it took many hours of research and web surfing to make the stereo swap possible

cheers
    Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Justicepool and whatheheck like this.
  13. mikeprice

mikeprice Rookie

Jun 19, 2010
    whatheheck likes this.
  14. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    For the record I ordered a new temp sensor and put it all back together with the original radio.

15. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Well you gave up quicker than an Italian soldier watching a war movie :)
    If you don’t mind me asking, What part of the install was the deciding factor to keep stock ?
    If it was parts sourcing then I would have been willing to send you all parts required ( I have another Italian passion Vespa scooters and a friend of mine owns west coast scooters over the pond, I often get requests for parts from him that are difficult to find in the USA and I send them over)
    The offer is there PM me if required

cheers
    Andrew

16. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    It had more to do with being trapped in the house with the kids and no music while I was driving around. This is my only convertible so it’s nice to put the top down and drive around.

Thank you for the offer of sending over the parts. All in all it wasn’t terrible getting the dash off. If anyone undertakes it in the future I would plan on buying the temp sensor and replacing it. Maybe it’s just my car but all the old plastic is very brittle and any force breaks it. It’s basically the same thin plastic that the window switch has (which I replaced since the top open/close wasn’t working without finding just that right spot). Heck, I would wager most people’s temp sensor is partly cracked off anyway.

17. DaEagle

DaEagle Rookie

Oct 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meola
    I'm working through this myself at the moment. So far so good. I didn't break the climate control sensor fan though the front faceplate fell off pretty much as soon as I touched it. I'm thinking no harm in glueing it back on. I'm trying the Maesto RR with a CH1 harness which should work on similar Dodge / Chrysler / VW / Mitsubishi systems. However, it only has the two connectors (10 pin and main 22 pin connector). The factory radio has 3. Anyone know what the 3rd one is for or better yet, have a pinout diagram for the factory system?

18. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi DaEagle
    The third connector is the data link cable for the information screen on the dash.
    Simply disconnect this cable at the small connector leaving you with a 12” fly lead.
    No After market radio ( except OEM) can utilise this lead so It is redundant Once you change out from stock.

cheers Andrew

whatheheck likes this.
  19. DaEagle

DaEagle Rookie

Oct 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meola
    Thanks Andrew. Seems like the Mestro unit isn't working so I'll likely need to look for an alternative. I'm wondering what the relationship is between the Connects2 and the Phonocar system is. Are you using both as both seem to be designed to retain steering wheel controls. Do they connect together? Does the Phonocar replace the Becker CCGW unit next the OEM radio?

20. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi Da eagle
    I’ve just noticed that I posted the wrong picture of the Canbus module it’s a pioneer unit.
    I don’t have any Experience or knowledge of fitting stereo systems other than Pioneer.
    You need to retain the original Becker NIT Canbus connected to the loom
    The connect 2 is plug and play ( the Canbus box on this provides the steering wheel controls and speed pulse and is all you need (unless you have a factory fitted rear camera)
    If you have a ff rear camera then you need to fit the pioneer unicam as the connects 2 unit doesn’t support the operation
    Please see attached

cheers Andrew

Image Unavailable, Please Login

milrad and whatheheck like this.
  21. DaEagle

DaEagle Rookie

Oct 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meola
    Thanks again.

I'm going to a Pioneer W8400NEX so should be good. This looks more like it... This one actually says it's compatible with the California. Wiring kit looks correct. I'll contact Maestro just incase they have a solution for the California otherwise, I'll go with this. We'll see how long it takes to get here. Not sure how long I can deal with the car in being in pieces!

Anyway... for others interested... here is the link: https://automotive.paser.it/en-gb/Steering-Wheel-Controls/Pioneer-Steering-Wheel-Controls/Paser/Unican-Pioneer-p448c62c341.html.

whatheheck likes this.
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Just want to chime in really quick to say Thank You for sharing this great information.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  23. NicoFerrari

NicoFerrari Rookie

Aug 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nico Ferrari
    I would like to take you up on this offer, could really do with your help, please! Can't see how to PM you?!

24. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi Nico,
    I see that you are in London give Gary Hallwood A call at audio file he’s up your neck of the woods and they routinely fit / supply stereo upgrades to Ferrari cars, there is a YouTube video of a California having been fitted with an upgraded system by them give it a google

Tel: 01279 757218 Fax: 01279 465218

Cheers Andrew

NicoFerrari likes this.
  25. NicoFerrari

NicoFerrari Rookie

Aug 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nico Ferrari
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for this tip. I really appreciate it. I've been admiring your install for a few days now! You did a superb job, I hope to be able to replicate something similar.

My original was removed today, so now trying to make the shopping list! A bit confused what I need!

Is the Connect2 module the same thing just a different brand to the UNICAN one? Or the install needs these both? o_O

whatheheck likes this.