488 - New Pista Paint Respray? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

488 New Pista Paint Respray?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by unogib, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    you are not the only one that received this pic...so most probably it’s not even your car or more people have same car :)

2. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    I guess it’s just a problem of lighting or malfunctioning of the camera.....I am saying so cause it even doesn’t look rosso TRS but a standard rosso corsa or even scuderia under factory lighting conditions. Corsa and Scuderia are much more lighter and less deep and rich than rosso TRS.....I am talking when you compare factory pics.
    Your pic is overall much more lighter and this is the reason why you can’t see the livery clearly

Finally it’s just a very bad pic for a rosso TRS :) no worries......enjoy in health this amazing color and this beautiful machine

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
  4. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    so it is not a missing paint spot but just the missing front fender :)
    all 488 at this stage are same

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure if anybody has ever disputed whether it was TRS or not. The issue is that it looks like the stripe is incorrect.

6. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    Well I understood. What I was trying to explain is that it’s just an optic effect

7. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    So truck left the port with the car last Wednesday. Was told by rep it should be at dealer any day this week! Very anxious to see pics! Will post update/pics as soon as I have them!

8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    good luck matey! we're all pulling for a good outcome for ya!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    one Espresso it will be ok!

10. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
  11. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    So the good news is the full stripe is not the rosso Coburn. Bad news is the inner strip is. Both inner and outer stripes were supposed to be Grigio Coburn with the stripe of red between the two grey stripes to be Rosso Coburn (instead of normal exterior color). Instead they just did exterior in Grigio and inner in Rosso Coburn. Exterior color is correct in Rosso TRS.

SECRET and Thecadster like this.
  12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    so now what? You like the “mistake” or gonna try to fix it or reject the car?

Thecadster likes this.
  13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is upsetting that they can make such mistakes but, do you like the car and do you want to overlook this issue?

Thecadster likes this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I kind of dig it. Obviously, very unique. I am sympathetic that it isn’t what you intended. That’s unfortunate for sure.

15. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Sorry it wasn't to spec. It does look good though. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

LVP488 likes this.
  16. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Just sent you a PM.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Looks like you owe someone an espresso...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    it's amazing to me that the original factory photo was actually showing a grigio coburn outer stripe. really interesting as it definitely looks similar to the inner thinner striple.

makes me wonder if the factory photos are photoshopped/edited at all or if the car went for a respray, and they still somehow screwed it up.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I will say what I think, and I'm not going to sugar coat it. It looks terrible. It clashes badly and looks like a mistake. I don't if it is just me or if others are trying to make it easier on you. I'm not trying to upset anybody or be mean, but I don't think it helps anything not telling it like I see it.

One thing is to play around with two reds to create either a subtle contrast, ghosting effect or something else. Yes, had it been the right shade of red, sure - but it isn't. It looks like what it is - it looks like someone painted the wrong red because of the large area. With the smaller stripes as intended, it would have been a cool and subtle difference, but that there will make people wonder what went wrong.
    There's another issue with this "unique" combo, and that is resale value. This will not be a very sought after spec, you can be pretty sure of that. Will it be as bad as that red and blue atrocity in the other thread? No. But it won't be the most popular girl at the dance.

The way I see it there are a few options.

#1. They get a hold of their best painter and he paints the center stripe the correct colour.
    #2. If the first suggestion is too difficult for thdm to do, see if they will paint the entire center that is Coburn in TRS so it matches the car.
    #3. If they are not capable of making #1 or #2 happen, consider having the entire stripe painted over, so that it becomes a TRS car with no stripe.
    4#. If they jhst don't give a damn and claim it can't be done, ask for a full refund and find ankther dealer.
    Trust me, it can be corrected by a good painter. This past Monday I saw a Rosso Maranello 458 SA that had gotten the entire bonnet, roof and boot redone with stripe, as some clown had messed the car up with a dirty cover. The car had been sitting on a trailer and the wind combined with the dirty cover had torn up the paint badly. It was spot on and looked factory fresh.
    Some may argue that a car with a respray is hugely devalued - but fact is that it is done all the time, and more often than not, a new owner of a used car won't even know.
    If the result is spot on and the quality is on point, then it really does not matter, because then the car is in as new condition.
    Get a respray or leave it. I'm sure it will always be a source of annoyance and worry if you keep it as is. If they take it back, ask for an 812VS slot as part of a compensation.

What is really bothersome, is that this happens really often. There is no nice way of saying it. When it comes to paint and quality control, Ferrari is utter ****. They are the absolute worst in the industry when it comes to paint quality. Shame on them for screwing up yet again snd for not giving a rats ass.

Hope you find a solution, I truly hate to see this - again. Good luck and keep us posted.

Coincid, spyderman and Ryan13 like this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I waited seven months for a car and it came in with the wrong seats. This after confirming build codes monthly. I took one look at it and rejected it. They ordered me a new one and gave me the equivalent car to use for the four additional months it took to come in. Still have the car.

I would do the re-order if available. Otherwise thanks but no thanks. This will definitely not get an 812VS allocation which is going to be as hard as a hypercar allocation if they don't overbuild due to the virus. If they overbuild then just as hard as the F12tdf allocation which is untouchable for this kind of mistake.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I doubt very much they will offer a re-order. I believe the Pista Spider order books were closed in Feb and the last few clients whom had yet to finalize their spec, were told to do so by the end of Feb.
    With the virus screwing things up, I highly doubt they will add any special orders, as they will be hard pressed as it is to finish what's on order.

22. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    Unfortunately for the owner yes!! Really sorry for that but there is a lot of question marks on this car.
    Btw this seems not to be the same car showed in the original factory photo.
    Probably, as somebody said, they tried to fix the problem and they screwed it again.

please check what they wrote on the options plate in the trunk!!

It’s also important to understood who generated the problem....dealer or factory?
    Finally if you don’t want to keep the car as it is tell your dealer to send it back to Maranello and Zanasi will fix the problem easily and it will be not classified as “respray”. If they don’t accept get your deposit back and change dealer.

Good Luck

23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Am I missing something? I'm going to simplify the colors because I don't know the exact names....but I'm seeing two silver stripes with two dark red thinner stripes inboard of the silver stripes. In between the two red stripes down the center, it looks like the body color of the car. If I'm correct, I really like the look, and think it looks great. However, if you guys are saying that the center red, between the two dark red stripes is NOT body colored, then I wouldn't like it in person. So the question comes down to: Is the center of the car the same color as the rest of the car? If so, I love it!

24. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I think this is what the OP wanted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the clarification. That makes it easy to understand.
    I have to say, I really do like it either way. For me, the mistake definitely wouldn't be a deal killer, nor would I repaint for that. That's only my opinion though, and I know others find the stripe pattern/color repulsive. However, If I didn't like it, and felt that there was no chance that it would eventually grow on me, I would then decline the car and ask for a new one.