Tell me about the California | FerrariChat

Tell me about the California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Husker, Mar 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I have really been an admirer of the California. I haven't owned a Ferrari for a number of years - had two 348s and a 308.

But the prices of the Californias are definitely coming down. What are the main issues/problems with the California? As Ferraris go, is it more, less, or average in terms of repairs/maintenance?

I was pretty lucky with my previous Ferraris. I had to replace a fuel pump and a throw out bearing in one of my 348s, but both were as reliable as Hondas as far as I was concerned. The 308 was bullet proof, too.

Any insight would be most appreciated. I will also look around the forum.

2. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Bought my 2011 in 2017 with 20,000 miles on it. Now at 38,000 with no trouble but a gear in the driver side window motor. Covered by warranty which I renew every year. I drive my car a lot, every day that it doesn’t rain. Long trips no problem, comfortable and plenty of carg capacity. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

3. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Super reliable. Like most things if maintained well and used regularly...
    Tito

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ditto. I hate to continually brag on the reliability of my Cali, as I fear the car gods will catch up with me. But, after they replaced the battery and I bought a new battery tender, early in our ownership, it's been pretty reliable. Just eclipsed 18 K miles in her, 24+ K miles total. Drive it as much as possible, maintain it as best as you can, and enjoy the heck out of it. To my mind, at current prices, there's not a better entry point for Ferrari ownership...T

SAFE4NOW and AD211 like this.
  5. rsbgcali

rsbgcali Rookie

Nov 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Lawson
    Had mine going on two years and 20000 miles on the clock. No issues...
    I got a 2014 and it still had the complimentary service. The earlier models had some sort of internal pressure switch in the transmission that was expensive to fix. They have the usual sticky switches on the hvac controls and some dashboard shrinkage and the led bulbs fall out (1) so far and it did not affect the performance of the light. I drive mine all the time. 2014 is the last year for the regular California. So I think most of the bugs were worked out by then.
    It and the 430 have timing chains and it has a dual clutch, so the service is less expensive and according to my dealer the reliability is good. They have not had anything major come in for repair.
    It’s very comfortable on long or short trips. There is quite a bit of road noise with the top up. Acceleration is good and brakes are outstanding. Steering is light and precise. Mine had a full body wrap which is awesome and there is no brake dust. Clean up is a dream. I would not recommend light colored carpet for dirt and stain issues. It does look great though. Mine has Alcantara inserts and I love them

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Pics of this wonderful, well used Cali!
    T

7. lkilbrith

lkilbrith Rookie

Jan 9, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Lee Kilbrith

I have owned a 2015 T for a couple years and have had two issues. One a small oil leak coming from the rear of the engine. Not a problem but occasionally leaves a drip or two on my floor. Second is an intermittent loss of radio ? I remove one cable on the battery for a second or two and all is fine. Now this has not happened for a while so I am now expecting it to happen . Hope this helps, car really is a joy to drive and pretty in a big assed way.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Pretty much what everyone above mentioned. And it seems reliability and comfort improved markedly with this generation and newer Ferrari. The California is a more practical car for everyday use and a bit less flashy then say a 458/488 but still noticed as a Ferrari. I’d say go have a drive in one and see for yourself, well once everything settles down that is.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Cali is fairly reliable, and it belongs in the modern segment of Ferraris. It is nothing like a 348 or 355 in terms of upkeep and reliability - it is more VW Golf in this regard than exotic GT, which is a good thing.
    Some talk about gearbox issues, but fact is that most work and run flawlessly. The major culprit on the Cali is the roof. There has been countless cases of broken and damaged roofs over the years. More and more seem to be sorted, but it is something tp look out for.

As Ferraris go, it is to me, not the most exciting car, and by modern standards, it is by no means fast. It has 460 hp with a gearbox which has ridiculously long gears, the car is very heavy and there is a fair bit of chassis flex. It is a car that you should buy as a GT, not a sportscar like a 458 for instance. It doesn't quite have that famous light and direct Ferrari steering feel, so for some that is a minus. It is a bit like the Lusso in this regard, but even more so. While the Lusso steering is still very Ferrari feeling, the Cali steering is not as on point. Not sure if it has to do with the chassis flex, but it feels heavier and more "generic". Compared to your 348, the steering will probably feel a bit numb.

What the car is to you, depends on you. I was never really smitten by the Cali, and to this day I still don't get much emotion from it. But get behind the wheel and see what you think. I will advise that you drive a Cali 30. Forget the added 30 hp and reduced 30 kg. Those numbers are just fluff. But they did sort out the suspension a bit better, and most importantly, they changed the gear ratios which made the most significant change.

Good luck

Kasper Bangs and Themaven like this.
  10. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

HUSKER!!!!!

Not sure if you remember me or not but I have been gone from the FChat world for 7 years!!!! Just re-joined today because I, too, am thinking about getting back into the FCar world with a Cali!!!!

I miss my F355 often......and I test-drove a Cali this week for the first time--it was 100x more thrilling than I thought it was going to be!!!!

So the hunt is on!!!

anunakki likes this.
  11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    HFS, Husker and Blampee? ****ing twilight zone this AM. Welcome back. Blampee, plz resurrect your Copper River Salmon thread, just in time. And for the love of god, get Steph and Zophie posting again. Miss the banter.

Okay, on topic. How did it get more than two responses into this and nobody has mentioned the motor and trans mounts. They're weak. They will break. If you don't notice, they will cause additional damage. Should be included in any PPI and you should always be on the lookout for a vibration at idle. No big deal, just be away. Also BTW may only apply to original Cali '09-'14.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I do! I'll be interested to hear how your search goes. I am leaning toward a 360 as the price point is $20ish lower, but I am watching things too! I have to build a garage in my backyard too. Wife ain't happy about all of that but a man's got to do what a man's got to do!

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The 360 will be roughly 10 years older, has a belt service, the tie rods and ball joints are always suspect and must be replaced at regular intervals, it's slower, rides much harder, if you got a spider it's a soft top vs. hard top, the stereos are incomparable dealing with the old blecher. I don't think you'll be ahead at all financially and the Cali is a much better car.

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Yes I see your point for sure. I suspect with all of the COVID aftershock the prices might drift lower temporarily on the Cali.

15. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    Get a Cali & don’t look back! I got mine 9 mos. ago & simply love it! I split my time between it & my R8 V10 Spyder, and have to say the Cali puts as big a smile (ok, a little bit bigger) and have enjoyed every moment driving it! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

haha! Must be something in the CoronaVirus lockdown air.......

I am looking at these two seriously......test drove the white one (1-owner) and test-driving the blue on tomorrow morning:

https://www.buycbb.com/Details-6624-Used-2011-Ferrari-California--Near_Scottsdale_AZ--ZFF65LJA6B0181209

https://www.scottsdaleferrari.com/details-2012-ferrari-california-2dr_convertible-used-zff65lja8c0182881.html

Scottsdale Ferrari is offering 2yr Power Warranty for only $5,400 total with the blue one.....

Do we think these will bottom out like all other FCars and stay there???? OR will it be like the Maseratis that drop down to like $25k??? This is my only hesitation. I would rather buy near the bottom of the depreciation curve but don't care about trading SOME loss for enjoyment.

I couldn't believe how AMAZING the Cali is to drive!!!! Drove that white one above last week and it sounded just like a real FCar!!! BAsed on everybody who hates it I was certainly expecting a boring dumbed down ride but I was so excited after!!!!

anunakki likes this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ No idea on depreciation given the current economic climate, but that azzurro one is gorgeous!
    T

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That Scottsdale Ferrari car is an HS, so will if you push it handle slightly better.

Be aware, https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/certified-2016-cali-t-in-rosso-corsa-over-beige-tradizione-just-under-42k-miles-price-109-900.620422/

I'd go for the higher miles Cali T before a base Cali all day long. You think the Cali drives well, Cali T is my final Fcar, I think. It's a perfect car. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, fantastic sound system, corners on rails, gorgeous lines. We love it.

If a Mondial can find a bottom, the Cali will as well. And I don't mean to insult the Cali. I'm just saying the worst Ferrari can do will never depreciate to zero. They can be totaled by deferred maintenance, but not depreciate to zero. Do the maintenance, keep the value.

19. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree, I drove the Cali 30, then compared it to a low miles Cali T and well.... I Love my Cali T!

Piper likes this.
  20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had a Cali 30 for about 18 months before the T. It's a great drive but it's not more than enough. The Cali T gets you there, more handling than I'll ever need, more performance than I'll ever need. My perfect sports car has to be a better car than I am a driver. The Cali 30 probably was as well but the Cali T makes me feel that way. Feels like all I'll ever need. And the stereo, finally, loud enough and clear enough. Just needed to add a sub box.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Handling Speciale didn't become available until the California 30 (MY 2013 and 2014).

22. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    ‘13 and ‘14 Cali-30s are your best bet if you don’t want the turbo model as the transmission issues had been fixed with that version, and the naturally aspirated engine has a beautiful exhaust note. Motor mounts that wear out prematurely seems to be a common complaint. Also the window and roof activation switches are flimsy and I had to have the ‘sticky’ buttons and panels refinished. Other than that, there’s plenty of performance and handling for my taste and it’s quite comfortable. Here’s my 2013...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Justicepool, tomc and SLViper1 like this.
  23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting, thanks. I didn't know that, but I wonder why the vents on the 2012 are silver like the HS? If that was an option it's a rare one. Maybe someone painted them to look cool.

24. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    When I was looking into buying a 30,I remember that those silver vents came standard with HS but could be deleted when ordering. They probably could be ordered on a non-HS car (not sure) and certainly could be added later by an owner.

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Gorgeous. What color?
    T

Gator likes this.