Exhaust valve controller really worth it | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Exhaust valve controller really worth it

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've had one on my 458 for about 2 years. I use it when I'm in the mood to play around, I leave it stock on the highways, boring drives, when just cruising around, or with non=enthusiast passengers. I still love it and definitely recommend it. It's a very cheap way to add a dose of excitement.

2. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    thanks fellas just ordered mine today! How long does shipping usually take?

Can't wait to get this installed :)

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Tell us how it was installed and more …. -> + pics please !

4. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Can you guys tell me what is the upper hose circled in red supposed to be connected to? I bought the car like this so a bit confused....

[​IMG]

5. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Seems to be a breather. No issues

s4play likes this.
  6. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    For those of you thinking to get a Forza controller, it's awesome! I have an extra one brand new sitting here if anyone wants it. Price $400 shipped with 2 remotes!

Check out the YOUTUBE video I made for it:

It wasn't too bad of an installation once everything is identified.

7. RS458

RS458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2020
    Arizona
    s4play: Are you saying you installed it by only taking the rear diffuser off without taking the rear bumper off? Seems everything I see and read, it is pretty much impossible (or extremely difficult and not worth the effort) without taking the bumper off on a spider.

8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have heard many people state that once you remove the rear air diffuser, you can then access the vacuum control valves. Yes, it is a reach, but doable. Certainly much less involved than removing the rear bumper, but removal of the rear bumper does allow even greater access. For some people, the rear bumper removal is not a huge undertaking. For others, it might be something they would prefer to avoid.

Steve

9. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    He has a youtube video of the installation. Amazingly, it appears that he did it with ramps. I had a hard seeing my controllers even on the lift.

10. RS458

RS458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2020
    Arizona
    I was considering adding the controller to my spider, but I thought everyone may have been exaggerating when they said it sounds much better with the valves open. My car sounded pretty darn good. Until, as I suspected, with a flashlight and very strong reading glasses I could see that the vacuum lines had been disconnected and plugged by a prior owner. I still want to add the controller, and I really think I could do it myself, as long as I don't have to remove the bumper. I don't want to get involved in that. If it can really be done by only removing the diffuser, maybe I will give it a go when it gets a little warmer. I am still looking for confirmation, and maybe some instructions, from a "do it yourselfer" that it can be done that way. The above video seems to skip that part where they show you exactly how to do it. I am a big fan of those videos where I can pause it step by step by step.

11. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    When I had my Forza installed on my 488 spider, the shop accessed the solenoids through the rear wheel wells (remove wheel and liner). In order to remove the lower screw on the wheel well liner, the rear diffuser, which covers/interferes with the screw, needed to be dropped. I'm not sure whether or not you could reach the solenoids by just dropping the diffuser. We ended up mounting the controller itself behind the right side wheel well liner. I set mine up to be open on start-up but would probably default to normal if I had to do it over again. Only reason is that the car is quite loud and rough sounding on cold startup until the rpms drop back to 1000 after a minute.

I believe Forza has installation instructions on their site.

12. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    I have had the Forza on my 488 Spider for about 8 weeks. It was dealer fitted prior to delivery and is just fantastic.
    There was unfortunately an issue with the unit after it was fitted but a call to Steve and he diagnosed the fault then had a new unit couriered to the dealer in the UK within 36hrs....... unbelievable superb service. Many thanks again Steve.
    Regarding the sound, we have it set to valves open on start up and it's most impressive, and this from someone whose last car for 10 years was a Scuderia.
    Biggest improvement you could do to the car, and for such small cost.

LMH and johnr265 like this.
  13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hello All,

I have been hearing that resellers of Capristo exhaust controllers are claiming that using the Forza controller to close the valves can damage the engine. This is entirely false and wrote up a narrative about this and posted to FChat. You can read more here.

Welcome any comments.

johnr265 likes this.
  14. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I had one on three of my cars, never a single issue.

15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    So which is the best controller. Have had Capristo, but Tubi looks pretty interesting, with options to keep the valves from closing with liftoff from throttle. How does the Novitec one work?

16. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The Capristo and Forza controllers are very similar. Basically, they act as switches that are inserted into the car's connection between the ECU and car's vacuum control valves. I cannot speak for Capristo, but I assume it has similar circuitry to the Forza that inserts a dummy circuit into the path so that the ECU does not sense an open circuit when that circuit is interrupted to the vacuum control valve.

I believe the Tubi controller uses the OBD2 plug on the car. It appears that Tubi's system has a device that plugs into the OBD2 port. This would be the only way that it could sense throttle lift off and sports driving modes.

The Novitech appears to be similar to the Capristo and Forza units.

Which one is better? They all should do the job. The Forza unit is the lowest cost unit and has excellent quality construction. Better, actually, than the others in that the enclosure and cables are more resistant to heat and moisture. The Tubi unit uses the OBD2 connector and it then intercepts the car's ECUs to manage the exhaust bypass valves. Probably not an issue, but I have a bit of concern using this approach.

Bottom line, I subscribe to the idea of simple is better. Programmable devices will be more prone to failures. If it were me, I would stick with Capristo or Forza. Both have good reputations and proven quality. At that point, it is a matter of your perceived quality difference and price.

Steve

Lagunae92 likes this.
  17. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    up4speed likes this.
  18. Beez

Beez Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 22, 2016