488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #126 Shadowfax, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Not here either. The sale contract is binding. Once the car goes into build you own it and if you decide later you don’t want it or can’t come up with the balance then the dealer keeps whatever amount you’ve given them to date plus they can legally pursue you for any shortfall between what they would have got off you and what they ended up having to take to get rid of it.

I suspect with this level of disaster the owner would have left with his backside in a sling. Nobody is going to be allowed to get away scott free for specing a car like that even in a good trading environment. I guess his only upside was being able to walk away from it because if he paid for it and drove it off the lot he’d be in no mans land trying to get rid of it today. He’d be flat out getting half his money back on it. Im actually surprised the dealer took the car on so i would assume they have already applied a very stiff penalty to cover the likely worse case scenario.

This is why i say anyone saying they like it should put a low ball offer in and put their money where their mouth is and, be prepared for a phone call to take it away. I think this dealer would know that their first offer could be their only offer.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It's moot for me, I took delivery on my 812.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    That is not how my contract is written. Mine says you owe the difference

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    In the us people lose deposits- know plenty of people who have walked away from cars

5. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Enjoy it!!

Gh21631 and wrs like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That's correct, my Pista has a radio delete. I haven't missed it one bit. If I want music I'll stream to a BT speaker and I limit my phone calls ot just use a headset.

vinny84 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Congrats. Looks really good but you need to change your plate now.

wrs likes this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    There are laws here in the US, I'm not sure if its state by state. In fact the last few deposits I gave they never even cashed the checks. They use the deposit to secure your place in line. I've only canceled once and it for the Lusso and no issue getting my uncashed check back.

IMO, the dealer should keep the deposit after you've spec'd and ordered the car otherwise the dealer is stuck with it.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Might be by state.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    There would have to be a penalty or people would be specing cars like that and walking away leaving the dealer broke in next to no time. Actually if it were legal w/o penalty it would be a great way to get square with a dealer you don't like.

IloveGT likes this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I canceled once after spec'ing my Lusso but the order was not yet accepted by Ferrari and no issue. Also when I spec'd my Taycan I told the dealer I wasnt sure if I would like the car and they said no problem we will refund you if you dont take delivery.

IloveGT and MANDALAY like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I saw this happening at the McLaren dealer and they ended up with a few highly spec'd cars they couldn't move.

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Or press the gas pedal!

The way I see it, the 488 has the best sound for a turbo engine of the whole turbocharged supercar market. That is forgotten sometimes because of the 458, although naturally aspirated sound versus turbocharged isn’t a fair comparison. And lets not make a 458 versus 488 discussion out of this again, it’s a question of simple mechanics, engineering and physics.

Once you remove the apples and oranges angle mentioned above, I think all the music you’ll ever going to need aboard a 488 pours out of the exhaust, not the speakers. I never missed the radio in any of my Ferraris.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah but once the spec is locked in and the car goes into build you own it. Ferrari is well ahead of Macs game there for sure. I've been offered 600 and 720's fully spec'd by owners who couldn't stump up at massive discount....and I mean massive. Im beginning to wonder if I aren't better to play the same hand with the 765 now corona has set in.

Natkingcolebasket69 and MANDALAY like this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm not sure that's the case here but I can ask.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'd be very surprised to hear you can walk w/o penalty once its locked in. But check and let us know. Pretty sure even Mac has woken up by now.

PS how did you make out with Taycan?

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Taycan is gone, I replaced it with GT3 manual. Much more to my liking.

Shadowfax likes this.
  18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So the way it works in Texas is that the state doesn't make the custom plates. If you want a custom plate on a new car it has to be one you already have or you get the state issued plate and then order a new one. I chose to just transfer the old plate for now. The wait in line to exchange plates is usually 2 hours and that office is closed anyway so I decided to do the easiest thing. Wonder how many people will even realize it's not right? LOLOLOL!

of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    NIce choice and much better deal imho!!! The .2 is incredibly satisfying to drive. Love the sound!
    You should pop a JCR silenced bipass on it. Amazing.

of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Its much like that here - you gotta order your plate of choice and wait for it to be made....that is if someone else hasn't already got it on their car.....but the website will show that when you order online.

812 on the plate has a nice ring to it! And yes I noticed it straight away lol.

21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    812 LTO is available but I haven't ordered it yet.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Do it! Will look properly right then!:cool:

wrs likes this.
  23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is no US law that entitles you to your deposit back on a car as far as I know, though IANAL. If the contract says non-refundable, then it's non-refundable unless something else is wrong/illegal/non-enforceable about it. These can generally be thought of as the liquidated damages in a contract.

You sign a contract in good-faith to buy it. Unless it says you cancel/return free from penalty, then you generally cannot. It's pretty far fetched to think you can have someone buy/build you a $400K car and then you just walk away from it risk-free.

If a dealer gives you your deposit back on an exotic, it's because they think they can sell it anyway.

ScottS likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    My shop is a Kline dealer so we may order a full system from them - headers and all.

Shadowfax likes this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Be careful not to go too far.... Personally the rear center delete is a far as I dare to go esp after hearing my buds. I would advise going the center first and working from there rather than going the full 9 yards straight up.

Gh21631 likes this.