250 GT Coupe Pininfarina sn1733GT 1960 : Information Wanted | FerrariChat

250 GT Coupe Pininfarina sn1733GT 1960 : Information Wanted

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by John Gillon, Dec 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    We would welcome any history for the following vehicle, currently being restored and reunited with it's original engine.

John Gillon, on behalf of owner Andrew Cunningham

Model: 250 GT Coupe Pininfarina
    Year: 1960
    Steering: LHD
    Chassis number: 1733
    Pininfarina body number: 27886
    Ferrari colour: Grigio Fumo
    Interior colour: Tan

readplays likes this.
  2. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    As an update, Andrew and I now have discovered much of the history of 1733 GT.

We engaged the services of Marcel Massini who provided his detailed report of the manufacturing specification and the first Italian and first USA owner, and supplemented with some further details associated with the last USA owners, from whom Andrew purchased the vehicle.

Marcel's advice was also instrumental in our success of locating the 1733GT vehicle chassis number, referencing the engine "numero interno", and providing certainty that Andrew has purchased a matching number vehicle. In retrospect, we would have been well advised to engage Marcel's services much earlier, but I guess we got lucky.

However, we do have a gap in the vehicle's USA ownership history in the mid-1960s period, and we are hoping that any supportive F-chatters will assist us with discovering these last pieces of history, and point us in the direction of obtaining contact details.

- Mid 1963, the first USA owner was Frank Davis (could be Franklin, Francis, Francisco, etc), who we believe was a military officer stationed at the Naval Air Facility, El Centro, CA.

- Later 1960s to 1979, the second owner (name unknown) was an eye surgeon, living in El Centro, CA. This person had an interest in collecting early Cadillac and Packard vehicles.

- It is possible that there may have been additional owners in this period (but we think just the two above). The vehicle may have been raced (probably local or regional club events) during this period of ownership.

Does any F-chatter have any ideas or leads to contacting or identifying these two previous owners (assuming they are still alive) of 1733GT?

Another possible lead is that, during this period the original engine from 1733GT was replaced with engine 2885GT from a 250 GT/E. Later during this period, engine 1733GT was then fitted to 250 GT SWB Berlinetta 2733GT chassis number.

- A later owner of 2733GT, Ron Tredway advised that he purchased the vehicle with the engine from 1733GT already fitted.

- The two owners prior to Ron Tredway are Dr Hart Isaacs and Karl (Carl) De Bickero, and one of them must have purchased the 1733GT engine from either of the two USA owners (perhaps indirectly).

Does any F-chatter have any leads to contacting these two previous owners of 2733GT? We would like to ask these owners if either of them recall where they purchased the 1733GT engine from.

The 1733GT vehicle has now been reunited with the 1733GT engine, and it would be nice to complete this early USA history of 1733 GT. The next phase is to complete the restoration of the vehicle, and my intention is to document the recent history and various stages of restoration, as other F-chatters have done here previously.

Attached is a photo of the vehicle after “body & paint” and return to the workshop 16-Mar-20. This is the actually the second “body & paint” as the first was not acceptable, but that is a story to be told another day and is part of the “intrigue” of restoring an old car.

John Gillon, on behalf of Andrew Cunningham
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

lm2504me, TTR, enio45 and 5 others like this.
  3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    have you contacted cathy roush at FML for any historical ads?

4. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    12/1981 for sale in Ferrari Market Letter with Bob Malina, San Diego, California, undergoing restoration, $9,975
    7/1983 Ferrari Market Letter, for sale with Bob Malina, San Diego, California, painted red with natural leather interior, needs detailing
    8/1983 Ferrari Market Letter, for sale with Bob Malina, San Diego, California, painted red with cuoio interior, $15,000 obo
    5/1986 Ferrari Market Letter, for sale with Bob Malina, California, painted red with natural interior, needs finishing touches, $17,500

Car was featured in various Ferrari Owners Club registers throughout the 1980s until 1990 with the one of the engine bay showing Malina's Lusso. The images appear below in reverse order (newest: 1990 Register back to 1980 Register)

Paul

Image Unavailable, Please Login .

davemqv, jimlt4383 and enio45 like this.
  5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    You might try contacting Ed Niles to see if he remembers the car and/or the El Centro owner. If he can't help then he may now who else from back in those days might remember things. During those times the Ferrari Owners Club was the California group - not the Ferrari Club of America.

6. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    Thanks Ed,

We have sighted references (although not all of the actual FML advert listings or photos) by the last USA owner (Robert Malina) throughout the 1980s and 2000s.

I note that FML's website banner shows they have been publishing for 45 years, so the later 1960s to 1979 period of interest almost predates this. However, there may be adverts in the period from 1975 to 1979, so good idea, I will contact Cathy Roush.

John

7. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    Thanks Paul,

We have previously sighted some, but but not all of these. These are very welcome.

John

8. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    Thanks Jeff,

I have previously contacted Ed Niles, as the USA importer of 250 GT SWB Berlinetta 2733GT, thinking that there was a remote possibility that the 1733GT engine was actually fitted at the time of import. Ed advised that he was not able to be certain about this, as it was long ago.

Ed Niles is not recorded as being the importer of 1733GT, but good idea, I will ask him if he knows anything about the 1733GT vehicle or owners in El Centro.

John

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    With Ed it isn't about him being a possible importer but that he was a significant participant of the FOC through the years. Chuck Queener might be able to help too as he was a club president for some portion of the 1970s. You might ask who else of the old timers might remember something and/or has even older FOC membership directories.

As for Cathy Roush, Gerald kept files on Ferraris including one that had not been advertised.

10. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    Thanks for clarifying Jeff,

Your suggestions have certainly added a few more dots that I will connect. Excellent...

John

11. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    Feedback Jeff,

Ed and Chuck replied, that they are unable to assist with information about 1733GT or the El Centro owners. Apparently, the early days of FOC did not "capture" all of the Ferrari owners around Los Angeles, and I guess El Centro was even more "distant".

John

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    You may need to find someone that was a San Diego person. I know the FOC had members in San Diego but I am unable to recall any. Maybe Bill Noon would have some idea on where to turn, who is an old timer in that area.