Maserati Khamsin | Page 322 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Call Bobileff Motorcar (858)-622-1600. Their parts website is down but I know I've seen one of those some where.

2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Mike. Hope you are keeping well. This company in the UK made some very nice FIAMM stickers for me as a custom order. I’m sure there are services in the US To do the same, but shipping some stickers acoss the Atlantic won’t break the bank!

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk

all the very best.
    Mark Oliver.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    In this rather bizarre time, a good serene weekend to you all.

Here an amusing Belgian ad I found online sometime ago to provide some...levity:).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

• 01-c.jpg
      01-c.jpg
      File size:
      36.1 KB
      Views:
    375+ likes this.
  4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    LOL - I don't think it would be levitating if it had US bumpers! ;)

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hahah, very true, those balloons could never overpower such ballast:D

71Satisfaction likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

Please note that my Khamsin Registry website started 2004 is back on but that it is now .net (not .com)

http://maseratikhamsinregistry.net/

I will update the obsolete info and add content when I have more time, too busy now. If anyone has questions about an individual Khamsin just email me.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Great!
    I'm curious, there was "database information on over 320 of the 430 Khamsin's built," what is it now, over 340?

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC, it is difficult to define since for some I have a lot of history and for others three lines of text but under 350 for now.

Hoping to identify two today for example. I never intended to put all the data on the site, too time consuming and I do not want a pay site as it creates obligations whereas it is supposed to remain a fun yet rewarding hobby.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8034 Nembo1777, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    March 31st, 2020.

ONE MILLION KHAMSIN THREAD VIEWS

Hello all, now is obviously not a time for big speeches, in these dire days there are far more important things than old cars.

Nevertheless this milestone, breached last night, should be saluted because thanks to all participants this formerly forgotten gem is now much more appreciated. So thank you to all who have participated in the dozen years since this thread was started, it is not about any one person it is about all. Thank you for your positivity, friendliness, courtesy, enthusiasm and expertise: it has always remained ideal in that respect.

Most Khamsins are as confined as their owners now but those who are not might want to make some driving videos to give us some virtual enjoyment:)

Remember that with some partners I will organize KHAMSIN CINQUANTA in late June 2022 -in less than two years and three months- an International 3 day event in Europe in an easy to reach beautiful location with the goal of reuniting 50 Khamsins of the 130 or so that are in running condition in Europe.

During KHAMSIN QUARANTA in 2012 we had 27 K's and could have had 35 so it is a realistic number since so many K's have been reawakened and or restored since then. Professional assistance will be available for those bringing their K's from outside Europe.

Here a treat which was not in my 2013 book: the oldest Khamsin related document I have ever seen, dated February 1971: it shows photos and specs of a 90 cm clay model which having arrived from Bertone was delivered to Citroen in Paris before the shape of the car was finalized.
    This was not in the Maserati archives or the Citroen archives which I visited in April 2007 but at the home of a former employee of the Citroen R & D department, the late Michel Sivirine. I can still recall being at his house in Bandol in June 2009 when he showed me mostly Citroen SM prototype material and suddenly this emerged and my eyes doubled in size...I was saving it for today:)

A good day to all, be safe, life and passion will prevail:)!

Marc

www.maseratikhamsinregistry.net

MK1044, 33guana, red27 and 1 other person like this.
  10. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Now that is amazing but looking at the front of the model I wonder if such a design would have been stable at higher speeds due to front end lift base on the profile of the nose of the car. I also noticed that the rear wheel arch is not circular like the front wheel arch which has some similarities to other designs that came from Bertone.

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8036 Nembo1777, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Hello Elliott,

Yes well it was very, very early days, a full 21 months before the world premiere at the 1972 Turin show in November. It is a rough first model (in plaster not clay sorry).

It has vanished from the Citroen archives but the Maserati factory still has this later one below (also about 90cms long) which MM Cozza and Collina of Maserati Classiche kindly brought to KHAMSIN QUARANTA in June 2012.

It is closer to the final shape and yes as you rightly say the first one had too much of a lift generating ski jump snow sled nose and that was remedied on this one and the actual final design. The first prototype AM120-002 (later destroyed in the mandatory crash test, December 1973) did have a narrow radiator "mouth" which at high speed caused some lift so it was made full width, starting with 004 the Turin world premiere car, problem solved.

12. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Difficult to see the radiator mouth on the grey plaster model.
    Do you mean that just by widening that mouth, without otherwise changing the snow sled shape of the nose, it was sufficient to remedy to the lift?

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    As you can see the "mouth" on 002 was much narrower turning its sides into snow sled upward pushing zones generating lift. Cleto Grandi confirmed that to me (he is on the left in the photo, taken March 73 at the Modena Aerautodromo)

Below is 0008 before restoration (yes there is an extra 0 for whatever reason, the charm of Italy) the oldest production car (004 is a prototype and 006 never existed). Note that the now standard mouth is much wider AND the panels next to it are vented, hence lift issue is dissipated. Of course it improved cooling as well.

One of several professional automotive designers actually put his Khamsin in a windtunnel one day when official work had finished early. He said there was no lift but aerodynamics were poor. This was caused by wind turbulence underneath the car. that in itself is partly caused by a part of the air the car is facing going into the engine bay but then again most cars have that to some extent. In any case when you drive at high speed they are very stable, go straight as an arrow, I saw top speed 26 or 28 times in mine and it felt like that every time. Planted. I have not been at top speed in a Euro car which has a longer diff ratio but those who have never mentioned it getting light or unstable at all. Only my outside mirror was politically correct: it would bow down in shame;-) Of course it was the wind pushing it back.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 and 33guana like this.
  14. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Thank you Marc.
    Very interesting pic of 002, and info on the nose adjustments

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    MK1044 likes this.
  16. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    That is surprising, does this car have 0008 as a stamped chassis number?
    Based on my experience with my own car and info about other cars I THINK it is like this for the early EURO cars:
    - they have an extra zero on the red Autotelaio plate, for instance 0116 or 0146
    - the stamped chassis number on these cars will not have this extra 0, so for instance *116* or *146*.
    - the engine numbers will have the extra 0, so for instance AM115/10/49.0146.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8042 Nembo1777, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Hi AMLC,

Here is the chassis plate, I got to keep this car two weeks right after K40 in 2012 as its owner flew back to Norway for 2 weeks then came back and we convoyed to Le Mans Classic. The castle is Chateau de Dree (71) ten minutes from me. I have never paid attention to what you mention, I will look at chassis plates in my photo files and come back to this point.

The real mystery is why there was never a chassis AM120-006: they just skipped it. My theory was that AM120-024 which had very early autovettura and carrozzeria numbers and was used for media articles and then sold as a new car to Germany was in fact 006 renumbered but Fabio Collina of Maserati Classiche checked just weeks ago and said no...oh well the charm of research on macchine Italiane:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gopp and MK1044 like this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I see I misunderstood, I hardly have any photos of stamped numbers on the actual chassis but what you say makes sense. I had to help the owner of 180 as his chassis plate said 182 due to a mistake at the factory: it and 182 were sold at the same time to Thepenier and clerical errors continued for decades but 180 did have 180 stamped on the chassis itself so in late 2012 the chassis plate was replaced or restamped, anyway he was able to get his title straightened out. For the record the chassis plates of the following cars read like this (after the AM120) 004, 0008, 0010, 0012 (but the first zero was crossed out something to do with the time in south Africa) 0016, 0018, 0024 etc. Engine numbers are 115 for early cars and later 120 but Ghibli SS spec engines are identical to Khamsin engines.

19. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    The engine on Khamsin #1226 is stamped as 115. Build date February 1978.

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I believe all Khamsin engines were stamped 115, to indicate they are dry sump. This is a photo from #1224, also a very late car.

Ivan

MK1044 likes this.
  21. HillF1

HillF1 Rookie

Apr 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Hill
    Very nice.

22. Angelo Salonitis

Jan 30, 2019
    Greece & USA
    Full Name:
    Angelo Salonitis
    Beautiful car!! Good luck with the project!

GREEKMBA likes this.
  23. Kent Dellenbusch

Kent Dellenbusch Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Looks great. Have fun.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Please Sir this is the Khamsin thread, there are plenty of Ferrari threads, enjoy your car but let's stay on topic please.

boralogist likes this.
  25. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Moderators:
    Please DELETE.
    Thanks.

Nembo1777 likes this.