430 - Colorado Front Range Owners Emission Tests With New Exhaust Manifolds | FerrariChat

430 Colorado Front Range Owners Emission Tests With New Exhaust Manifolds

Discussion in '360/430' started by 1949live, Mar 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    I just acquired a 2007 F430 and of course would like to replace the failure prone exhaust manifold with a set of Fabspeed headers. But as you know pre-CATs are part of the OEM manifold which would now be missing. Has anyone in the Front Range in Colorado had a 430 with headers go through emission testing without any issues? Thanks much.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't believe the 430 has precats. The 360 does and Ferrari corrected their mistake in the 430. They did introduce new problems with failure prone headers but that's another story.

3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have Fabspeed headers on my 2007. I also needed to get the O2 extenders so it would not throw a code. Passed California emissions, which I imagine is equally as hard as Colorado.

4. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks. Probably a stupid question but I’m not familiar with what is an O2 extender? Can you link me?

5. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  6. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
  7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't have experience with other brands, but I do hear they work. I remember some other person using Big Daddy versions with good results.

8. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Sorry our posts overlapped. Thanks again!

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Here is one thing that I will add, but please note that I am no expert and anyone that has better info can chime in. For cars with OBD ports, the smog test center will do a visual inspection and plug into the OBD port to read any error codes. I don't think they use a tailpipe probe for any cars with the ports. Note that you need to make sure there are no codes or check engine lights before taking the car in for testing. Also if you recently changed the battery on the car, make sure you allow adequate time for the car to cycle. When I took my 599 in for testing, I just had the battery replaced. The car had to go through several cold start sequences and be driven for some miles.

10. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I have a 2007 430 spider. I took the OEM headers with precats off and installed Top Speed headers that have no pre-cats. The codes came up soon after doing the relearn proceedure. I installed straight (not right angle) extenders with mini cats inline with the rear O2 sensors. The mini cats are less than an inch long inside the extenders. These are stainless and cost less than $50 on EBay. I went through the relearn sequence sequence that Taz posted and have had no issues since.
    Relearn Sequence used:
    Turn off battery switch for at least 12 hours
    Turn key to first position for 30 sec.
    Turn off for 30 sec.
    Turn on key and wait for OK
    Start car and idle with no accessories for 10 minutes.
    Drive gently for at least 15 minutes.

Note: It helps to raise the air box a couple inches so you can remove the sensor cable clamps. You do not want to twist the cables too much near the sensors.

11. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
  12. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    Those mini cat spacers are larger than the ones I used. There is another thread on FCHAT that mentions downstream sensor delay caused by long extenders. Try them and see what happens. The OEM pre cats were too much of a potential engine risk for me. The new headers sound great. I am now researching X pipe setups.

13. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I forgot to mention that I insulated the headers with DEI woven rock tape and then covered them with Fabspeed header blankets. I think this is an essential step to avoid cooking many expensive parts-not just e-brake cables.The Fabspeed blankets can be installed after header installation, but it is a little tight. I also open the engine cover when I get home to facilitate exhaust cool down. I am also considering installing a fan on the back of the gearbox to lower under-hood temps during low speed driving or after engine turnoff.

14. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I installed Tubi manifolds (no pre-cat) on my 2006 F430 and no codes come up. No extenders used.

However, I did replace all 4 O2 sensors at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat