Coronavirus | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Ferraridoc, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No, only AMG pack - Mrs H's car.

Maranello550 likes this.
  2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Pffftt

3. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    KIANN?

moretti likes this.
  4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  6. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
  7. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner

8. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    OLIO

9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Just what I was thinking :p

One of them is recalcitrant and the other mad .... you pick which is which :D

Maranello550 likes this.
  10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Really Andrew, scary videos from the internet, quoting "scientists" ? Comparing our health system to cities where (democrat) politicians have underfunded public health for years while they changed the weather?

You might want to do some research on the serious respiratory disease experts who are saying this is a beat up.

11. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    100% Ian....The States was always going to be in big trouble because of exactly that....

12. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    This is becoming painful and I really hate to intervene because it really hurts . But.............

What PP is saying is not that he has an issue with you using a % to define the number of dead but that the method of the calculation itself is flawed and that the 0.4% is meaningless because it is being calculated using an absolute figure ( number of deaths ) divided by an incorrect figure ( number of cases). Number of cases is incorrect because it only specifies the number of people who have tested positive and not ALL the people infected , and as such can not be used as a true representation. Where as if the number of deaths is divided by the number of resolved cases then this the correct figure . As both the numerator and denominator are absolute and verified numbers. Although this method may represent a high number at the moment it may reduce as we move through the cycle of the illness and more cases are resolved .

13. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    I get what you say about lay commentators, its statistics that get my attention, what surely must be of concern is the infection rate? NYC has gone from 1 to 85,000 in a month.

And I know what you can interpret from statistics, 2 days ago you were saying the US death rate is only 10/per mill, but now its 15/per mill, ergo a 50% increase, no matter, its 5,000 dead bodies. I think Fauci knows what he is talking about.

All I'm saying is be dismissive at your own peril.

kerrari likes this.
  14. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    The spike in NYC cases is attributable to the very slow testing regime. Now that testing has come on line all the cases are being revealed at once.

15. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We know that is what he is saying (see my post from a night or two ago).
    But I don't agree that the 0.4% figure is worthless.

Most importantly, it's the measurement that has been used from the start of this to indicate how severe the virus is.
    Therefore it is totally valid to use the same calculation to show where Oz sits in comparison to other places.

The Ning-Nong's calculation would be relevant if that is the way the severity of this virus had been presented from the start.

It isn't, so it isn't.

16. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Agreed but comparing Sydney to NYC does not work either . Density , population etc.
    A rough guide at best

17. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Which respiratory experts exactly?

It won’t take long for a tsunami to develop and ICU beds are filled, then watch the death rate skyrocket.

kerrari likes this.
  18. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Have a look at these graphs

https://grattan.edu.au/news/the-growth-in-covid-19-cases-in-australia-appears-to-have-slowed/

ICU beds were expected to reach capacity mid April if we didn’t “flatten the curve”. This is not a joke, some of our greatest clinicians run our ICUs in this country and they have been preparing for this in earnest. A few weeks ago, my intel was the **** storm was going to hit Easter long weekend. All ICU staff had leave cancelled in preparation and this was well before elective surgery was cancelled by the govt. I cannot stress enough that ICU beds are a finite resource, once filled, good luck everyone

knocker and islerodreaming like this.
  19. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Worldometer which is THE definitive site - no outside affiliations, they usually just track population and the like.
    Interestingly, when NY started to explode, these ‘current, closed, recovered, died’ statistics which are what really tell the story, disappeared from the US page.

Overheard a discussion in the postoffice yesterday 2 nurses and also talking about other friend who are nurses, all taking leave / standing down so as not to be exposed to covid for the sake of their kids... Hard to argue against people trying to protect their own , but there isn’t any excess of nurses on the coast.

20. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Yeah, that’s why I was surprised by the pic - none of my friends have problems (masks were an issue earlier on).

21. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
  22. Cyt

Cyt F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cyt- Chin
    Not to worry..
    A few emergency plans are being rolled out now. I know as I’m involved in one and know of a few
    Don’t panic. :)

23. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    And when has ANY US government lifted a finger for the health system? They are ALL in the pockets of the lobbyists who don’t give a rat’s about real health outcomes. Everyone gets ripped off by the ‘health system’ in America - some get cash ripoff, some pay with their lives...

Its328 likes this.
  24. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Exactly - but the issue is the time and resources in getting ‘resolved’.

25. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Testing wouldn’t have made the cases go away - they were always going to be a tsunami because of the exponential infections.