‘72 246gt #04804 Better late than never | FerrariChat

‘72 246gt #04804 Better late than never

Discussion in '206/246' started by Whipcity76, Mar 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Would like to introduce a proud member from my collection:

1972(October Production) 246gt in Blue Chiaro Met. 106-A-38-Salchi. Interior: Pelle Nero, Daytona Inserts.
    Acquired through Carvello Imports, Carlsbad CA, December 2014. Red Book declares it to be a ‘73. Trying to make title change, very slow with the State of Illinois. Car underwent “refreshening” in 2015. Current mechanical areas being addressed at Ferrari of Lake Forest.

attempting to attach photos for your review
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jamie H, SAT4RE, synchro and 7 others like this.
  2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Same color combo as my old car 04860. Surprised the twins were born so close to each other.

3. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Yeah, also saw another one on BaT earlier this year that was in impeccable condition. Do you have some pics to share?

4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Beautiful car, Hugh. I have owned 04808 since 1976. It is also listed as October, 1972 production, but Matthias Bartz told me that it was completed on January 29, 1973. I'm sure that our cars must have been on the assembly line at Maranello at the same time, and they were most likely shipmates for the Atlantic crossing. Fred

375+ likes this.
  5. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I agree with Fred. The date that counts is when the car was completed and left the factory, not the month that was stamped into the manufacturer's plate. Those two dates were often 3-4 months apart. My previous US Dino was stamped as December 1972 production, but titled as a 1973 model - correctly as it turned out. According to Matthias it left the factory in May 1973 or thereabouts. Sounds like your current Illinois title is probably correct.

Nice Dino, beautiful color. And I love those curved headlight covers.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jamie H, synchro, sammysaber and 2 others like this.
  7. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Excellent pics! Am just melting looking at your steed. Noticed you have MT plates, too. My prior owner had my car titled in MT for tax reasons. Yes, he lived in CA. Unfortunately, when my car was “refreshened”, I took off the headlight covers. There is a grey area in IL law that might give me trouble. Still think the car looks great without them. Have you done any restorative work? Your car looks so nice.

8. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Totally agree. Have Matthias’s book as well. A must have for Dino 246 gt/gts owners. Attached Red Book Title Page showing some provenance. Red Book shows it to be a ‘73. Don’t think it would be a problem as titled, though any self-respecting future owner might be curious. Still collecting provenance on it. Little to go with presently. Did find out its’ first owner was Christine Whitman’s(former NJ Governor) husband. Car did “sit around” at Algar in Philadelphia which makes sense with proximity to NJ. Any good reliable sources out there for provenance hunting?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Hmmmm, must have been a “blue light special”(sorry, that was awful) on the paint. Bartz quoted just 52 Dinos were painted in this color. Guess this could be considered as a rare color? Admittedly, my other 2 Ferrari's are "cop catcher red" though.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mine was a basket case when I bought it, then went to various shops and ended up at Fast Cars. MT plates made sense for this one, I spent three years restoring the car and then sold it, having only driven it a few times on CA roads.

11. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Is yours a EuroCar? I have recessed turn signal lights and front fender L&R reflectors. Think your set-up is a lot “flusher” than mine. Tell me about “Fast Cars” repair? Don’t know it.

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mine is / was Euro.
    Fast Cars is a shop here in Southern California.

13. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My car also "sat around" at Algar for awhile. It was purchased there by the first owner in Sept. of 1973, but not delivered until April of 1974. It is also presently "sitting around" there---I sent it down to Algar in December for some refreshing, which will include a rebuild of the water pump. They run a great operation, and Mike Bloch, their service manager, is top-notch and extremely accommodating to Ferrari owners. Fred

14. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    T/U. Will check them out on-line. Stay safe and well. Hugh

15. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    I’ve been trying to get more information from Algar about my car. Only learned about the Whitman connection through “The Stable” in NJ. Left repeated messages at Algar for help. No one has returned my call. Frustrating!

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hugh, in your 3rd photo the headlight covers look absolutely stunning with the colour.
    Best I have seen. Congrats.

Regards, alberto

17. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

Hi Hugh,

I love your Dino.

I wish you still had the headlight covers on, as I don’t think you have an appreciation for how awesome these (on your car) were executed. Most look flat or forced, yours follow the lines of the car almost flawlessly. Whoever had these done back in the day spent serious money. Most likely they were Brandolini supplied, but the quality and installation, is what we all drool over. Do you have better pictures of these?

Maybe only annoying me, but the wheels shouldn’t have Dino caps, but Campagnolo ones. Obviously these aren’t the original wheels, but the Dino caps don’t look right.

Welcome to F-Chat! There are lots us here that don’t post as often as we used to. We need some new blood.

Maybe you can help us reinvigorate this Forum in the time of all of the craziness in today’s world.

Shawn

19. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Hey Shawn, Thanks for your comments on my car. Think I had a pretty good appreciation about the headlight covers. Yes, they were very pretty but tough to keep up. As mentioned, Illinois Law had a problem with them. I’ll look to see if there are other pictures available.

In my quest for provenance, was told my car was built with a preferred package which included: a/c, power windows, and Campagnolo Wheels. Am curious as most section members have mentioned the Camp Wheel was the set-up to have. Don’t even know about the Dino Caps being incorrect. Wouldn’t that have been flagged with The Red Book? Do you have a photo of the caps? Car’s presently having a real thorough mechanical going over so it could be a good time to switch over any corrections. Am still learning every day about it.

I’d be delighted to do what I can to “reinvigorate” where/when possible.
    Stay safe and well-
    Hugh

20. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
  21. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jamie H likes this.
  22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    wrong bumpers :):D

Whipcity76 and cls like this.
  23. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    That is so cool. Am all thumbs with assembling models. And don’t get me started with airplane glue!

24. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #24 isuk, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  25. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015