Thoughts on a Daily Driver (S Class CPO vs Gran Turismo CPO) | FerrariChat

Thoughts on a Daily Driver (S Class CPO vs Gran Turismo CPO)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Aaya, Apr 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Hey guys, been a while since I have posted here but I was hoping I could get some real world feedback. Should I get the Gran Turismo I've always wanted since '08 but never had a chance to buy or do I go with the tech filled S Class. In my budget I am looking at either as a CPO, I can afford an '18 S Class but can't quite make the stretch for a post '18 Gran Turismo with the newer technology.

I have driven both of these cars a bit and I am familiar with the driving dynamics, I have done all the excel math on cost of ownership, but I want to know what are they actually like to live with, not at 10/10 driving, but 3/10 driving on the daily basis. Back seats are important but at the same time they are only for occasionally driving with the girls in the back (all sub 60kg) and I have other sports cars so speed and sportiness are not necessarily the deciding factor. This is going to be a grand touring/daily driver type car.

Here is my question list:

How has the CPO experience been for you in either brand? I am somewhat worried about Maserati because their dealer network is so small compared to Porsche or Mercedes.

If you had the Maserati Pre 2018, has the old infotainment system been something that annoyed you on a daily basis or did you just learn to deal with it? How bad can it be?

If you had the S Class, did it become too boring, or did you appreciate it more over time? Call me vain but I love the ambient lighting of the S Class, but maybe after a while I would get annoyed by it and turn it off.

Is the Gran Turismo a car you would be happy driving in boring situations and occasionally in traffic? Or would you eventually wish you had a boring car for boring driving?

Is the Gran Turismo comfortable on 150-200 mile trips?

How did passengers feel in either car? If the wives are in the back seat for extended periods of time are they going to b*tch and moan on long trips or will they be comfortable with the Maserati? If you tell your friends let's go out and take the car, are they going to cringe at the Gran Turismo and prefer to take something bigger?

Anecdotes are welcome. In my circle of friends they all say Gran Turismo because to an enthusiast it's easily the choice we would all make. But when we aren't out having fun together I actually have to live with this car every day and maybe a big luxury boat would be a nice balance to the other sports cars. But my only experience with the S Class on a long term basis was a '91 we had 10 years ago, I'm assuming it's a different experience today. And really any feedback would be great.

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have owned 59 MB's (including S class W222) and 4 Maserati's (including a 2013 GT MC coupe). I owned the S class and the GT MC at the same time, the Maserati makes great noises but the chassis can easily be overwhelmed by the cars power, the old technology did not bother me, and in my opinion the S class is a better daily driver. Though people perceive the S class as an old mans car. I was visiting a BMW dealer (a week before they were all shut down here in PA) that I had bought my 2nd i8 from (to show them what I had done to it), and there was a 2020 white (with all the good options) 550M sitting on the showroom floor, I said I want that, so BMW 58 is now in my driveway. It is a great daily driver more fun (and with the handling package and the right tires it puts some sport cars to shame), than either the GT or S class, it has power, latest tech, luxury and everything you could ever want in a daily. I'd look into one of those if I were you, and I'd take it over the two cars you mentioned. Good luck.

Auraraptor and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    One more thing normally my 4 door sedans goes into storage when my summer cars come out, but the 550 is so good (I have two sets of wheels and tires), it is an all year car. That does not happen often.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a metallic green 2010 S550 4Matic that is, hands down, the best driver I have ever owned. It's powerful, responsive (for a giant sedan), extremely comfortable, reliable, and is an incredibly safe car. We've thought about getting a new one each year since about 2015 and just cannot justify replacing this fabulous car. It's still perfect after all these years.

The S550 really shines on long trips. It gets amazing gas mileage and can go well over 500 miles on a tank. My S550 has the top of the line executive rear seating option too.

5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

If you have other sports cars, I'd probably go with the S-Class. Full disclosure, I haven't had an S-class, but I did just get out of a GLS450 which is supposedly the SUV version. Our primary MB dealer/service was superb to deal with, which I think can be important when dealing with these cars. We almost bought another MB just because of that. I never got tired of the ambient lighting. What I did get annoyed with was some of the missing tech items once I got used to them on my newer vehicle vs my wife's GL. For example, I can't live without Apple Carplay anymore. If it's your daily driver, you're going to want the modern conveniences.

I think if you didn't already have other sports cars, there would be a better argument for the Maserati. Otherwise, to me, why put up with the potential headaches, and older tech of a Maserati on a daily basis?

6. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a 2015 S63, if you want some extra pep and sport versus the S550, I would recommend it. I have not driven the Maserati before, so I can't compare the two.

7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #7 RonH, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    I had a CL55 (supercharged) which I split daily driving duty with my 612. I totaled the CL55 and so I replaced it with a 16 S Class coupe. In my humble opinion the S Class coupe is a total waste of time. I dumped it after a year, took a big bath and now the 612 is my daily driver.

Here are the problems with the S coupe. First, (except for the S65) they got rid of the ABC suspension and it now handles like my father’s old Buick. My CL55 HANDLED. The S class. Not! Second, have you looked around. The S class is indistinguishable from a C or an E. Why pay the big bucks when you can get the same car for $70K less (and the C and E actually handle better and have similar features). If I had to have a Mercedes, why not get the C or E? Third, plan on huge depreciation. I bought mine 2 years old with 15K miles and got $70k off of sticker. I sold it 1 year later with 5K added miles and still under warranty and dropped another $30K.

I owned numerous Mercedes continuously for 30 years, mostly AMGs. I think Mercedes has lost its way and I have no interest in going back. While the S (previously CL) Class shared MB styling features, each was unique and didn’t look like the other classes. Also they put the good stuff into the S class and it was a far superior car to their others. It was also a true GT car. None of that is true any more.

Here’s a suggestion. Buy a 612. You can get a real nice one for under $100K (beautiful grey one on Bringatrailer right now). You could drive it for 5 years and its depreciation is likely to be less than one year of Mercedes depreciation. It’s also a heck of a lot more fun and unique than a boring S coupe.

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agreed. I have a 14 S63, chassis/handling and power are all great.

I test drove an S550 before the S63 and while nice, just a bit too subdued for me.

blkfxstc likes this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    While regular driving with an S550 may seem subdued, last year I had a car veer into my lane suddenly, like the driver dropped his cigarette into his beer by accident, and I had to do quite a startling avoidance maneuver. The car handled it much better than I expected and I kept it on the road going in the right direction. For such a big, heavy car, it can be quite nimble when called on. The S550's mission is subdued, easy and comfortable driving so for me, it's the perfect car. If I want exciting, I'll hop into the 360.

I had an SL63 before my 360 and it was quite a good car too. Great handling and acceleration. Just not as exciting as the 360. One thing to be said of MB's. Their dealer network is really good. Always can get an appointment for service. Always provide a new loaner. Friendly and respectful.

10. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Thank you for the feedback so far, all of you, I've read every post and discussed them with my small circle of car friends. And Ron, one of my attainable dream cars is the 612, maybe your post is a sign.

11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #11 RonH, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Aaya, I can assure you that the 612 is a far, far, far, far, far........ better car as a daily driver than the current Mercedes S coupe, having owned both. I have driven a Gran Turisimo but not owned one. I liked the car to drive and it was certainly more interesting than the S to drive performance wise, but really you have to own the car for a period of time to really know it. My partner owns one and he does love it, but that is such a personal thing only you can decide.

I made a huge mistake in buying the S coupe and I did that based on my love of the CL coupe (which could keep up with my Ferrari in both acceleration and handling) and I assumed the S coupe had to be better based on the fact that it was 10 years newer. I could not have been more wrong. I realized it within the first month (didn’t really do my due diligence in buying it unfortunately) and I “toughed” it out for 12 months and finally decided I didn’t want to live with my mistake and so I got rid of it, notwithstanding the significant financial loss. But anyone who bases a purchase decision of a new S coupe based on their love of prior generations really is making a mistake. It simply is not what it used to be.

At the end of the day, driving something that is fun, unique and a kick in the ass is much more important than the money. If you are so inclined, I think this 612 should go for between $80 and $90K. It is drop dead gorgeous IMHO: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ferrari-612-scaglietti-8-2/ The dealer that is selling it also appears to be righteous.

Incidentally, the back seat of the 612 does have as much room as the S so you are not giving up anything as a “family man”, and you are “saving money” in terms of depreciation and residual value. The right decision if you are “considering” the family. Just saying! ;)

Last comment, if you like black then greybeast has been trying to sell his 09 612 for a while. It is a great car and as an OTO, it is the next step up. You can probably also get that for significantly less than a S coupe (maybe $20 K more than the 612 I linked). It even has the same panoramic roof as an S if you like gadgets!

Auraraptor likes this.
  12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
  13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I get asked a lot (you probably would too if you were approaching 500 cars owned and 100's more that I worked on) about cars. Usually what is the largest amount of car you bought in a month (18), or what is your favorite car (the one I'm driving now), or what should I buy. It would not be a older F1 (including, SMG, CC, Egear), it might be okay for a one drive a week car, but that is all (at least for me) and as a DD it would drive me crazy. I see things differently as most of you know by now cars are machines I like to play with (the toys I never had as a child), and I see them as all being able to be improved on. I don't brag (don't actually understand why anyone would), but I give facts, and the facts are that the S Class is a great daily driver (I would get a CPO because things can get expensive), but not very exciting (which it was not made to be), the coupe (my neighbor a fellow board member and Ferrari owner just bought one) is nice but it is a S class too, and the word sporty (the steering is numb but that is what S class buyers want) should never be used to describe it. The Maserati, well I think if you drove my last one the MC 200 miles in sport mode the sound of the exhaust would get annoying after a while. I suggested the BMW 550M because it can feel like a luxury sedan when need be and with a push of a button be more sporty (I drove it back to back with a new M5) than anything mentioned here including the 612. With some coding, and tuning the M550 is a far better all around car than the more expensive M5. I usually ask people when they ask me what car to buy, what type of driver are they, what do you have to have in a car, what can you live without, and what is your price range. There are a lot of great cars out there, but only you know OP what the answers to the questions above are. There is of course that other thing that some normal people also have when choose a car, the what brand is on it, and what that says about me. If you choose a car for that reason, you will probably not buy the best machine, you are buying the image.

14. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Morrie, the BMW is certainly a nice car and, as you said, it is really dependent on what the OP is looking for. BMWs have always performed well but for me that is only part of the equation. In recent years Mercedes has really ate their lunch stylistically. Essentially the 5 Series looks the same as it did 20 years ago. For me part of what makes a car attractive is that it looks unique. My wife owned a 5 series 15 years ago and I would not consider going back until they change the body style.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am not like you all, I don't care what the machine looks like it is just something that serves a purpose I have for it, until I find a machine that does that purpose better. That purpose maybe as simple as winter valet car (I have that), or car that scares the crap (I have a couple of those) out of you. I never use the term daily driver since it is not a purpose I have ever had for a car, since on a day like today I could drive any of my cars that are not in storage.

16. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I get that Morrie, but I think the OP is likely looking for a single car that is a daily driver and if you are looking for that it is likely appearance is an important factor.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #17 Auraraptor, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    I'm actually curious what you did to your i8(s)!

I keep looking at one but am unsure of reliability, particularly now as most of the production was ~2015/2016 and out of warranty. Plus as far as I was aware, there was extremely limited to no after-market for the car.

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well there are now tunes for the i8, and the throttle controller makes a big difference. The biggest issue (I hope they address this in the i8M) is the wheels and tires, I had mine on the lift for days without wheels trying to figure out how to get more rubber to the road. The car has a great chassis, but they should have widen the stance a few inches to allow for tires that could equal what the chassis is capable of. I sold the 2nd one too, decided to get a second 4c (spider) and see if I can make it a better drivers car than my 458. I like projects, and yes Ron, I know I cannot always see things the way you all do (or for that matter understand the things people do), but I don't see how one car can be everything, which is probably why I've owned so many. In this case OP has a purpose (this I can understand) and the Maserati will not meet that purpose the S Class will but the 550 is faster than any Ferrari in his price range, with the dynamic handling package is pretty amazing (It was better than the 360/430 on my little handling course test I do this with every car tells me what I need to change), and I am fairly certain you could grab a new one for well below sticker right now. Remember the 2020 car has almost as much power as the M5

19. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Hey guys. Thank you again for everyone's advice. I had a chance to drive the Gran Turismo and the S Class several more times and I decided on a.... Alfa Romeo Giulia. I had originally wrote off the Giulia because I didn't think the QF was a practical daily and I didn't want to "settle" for a base model. When I drove the Q4 Giulia it ticked every box. It's beautiful without being as flashy as the S Class or the Gran Turismo. It was more comfortable than I expected but the #1 thing was: it's a blast to drive. I have been ear to ear since I got it. It's so nimble and does everything the way i want it.

Auraraptor likes this.