365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration | Page 12 | FerrariChat

365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by cnpapa24, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  2. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Do you rebore and bush the carb bodies where the throttle shaft goes through?

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If necessary yes of course. Too bad the design didn't allow for bearings like the DCNF's. I need to rebuild my own set sometime this spring not to mention and EO service.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes Im happy, they dont give the bling look. They just blend in.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I wanted to post some of the running changes Ferrari made as the engine evolved from 365 to BBi. The biggest changes were from 365 to carb'd 512 then just minor tweaks after that aside from the the change to fuel injection itself.

Spark plug tubes were added. The same idea that happened in 78 on the 308 took place in 76 on the 512 at the latest. Ferrari puts rubber corks in the plug wells on the 365 which changed to a tube with a umbrella.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wet sump 365 had the filler through a rod bolt access hole, 512 had the dry sump tank instead. Note the shape of the bulges leading to the rod access holes became more rounded on the 512 block.

Timing pointer change. Hard to see but the 512 has two slotted holes in the pointer and then the folder over flap. Its to allow the pointer to be loosened and slid up then locked in place again so you can remove the flywheel then push it back down until it stops and tighten it up. The small bolts in that tiny opening are a pain to install and easily dropped when you have hands bigger than my 9 year old.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Distributor drives changed as well. Same set up as a dino with the phenolic spacer and drive disc. Its easier to put the distributor in on a 365 because you can only put it in dead on or 180 out. The 512 has a spline drive with (Ive never counted) maybe 20 possible positions.

Also note bottom right of picture the block bell housing vent hole was drilled on the 365 block and a larger window was cast in on the 512 block. I suspect this window came before the first 512 because there are changes on the 365 block within the first model year alone including bell housing venting on the actual removable bell housing itself.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    External cam timing pointers on the 512 vs early 365 having none. Not sure if any 365's had the pointers but considering there were 3 or 4 365's built after the first 512 its possible unless they just stuck to the builds as separate models ignoring the differences?

The external pointers just make it easier to visually confirm cam timing if you're diagnosing an issue.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Hey Paul, I have a special made pilot reamer. I used it years ago on a friends 914-6 Porsche. The Porsche had 3 barrel Weber carbs I rebuilt. I don't know if the throttle shaft on the Ferrari's is the same. PM me the shaft diameter. I don't have much use for the reamer now.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Right timing covers. Originally the dipstick for the 365 was attached to it but there's always been an unused boss below it. Second pic is a 512 carb'd cover which has the drilled upper boss but no dipstick anymore and still no use for the lower one. Finally on the injected car the lower boss is used. Did Ferrari actually have the foresight back in 74 to plan for twin alternators in 82 - 84? Or were they considering two originally but never needed it until 82 forced their hand?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    365 boxer had 8 M8 flywheel bolts with lock tabs and a locating dowel. 512 went to M10 bolts, still has a dowel and a steel disc that isn't really a lock plate. 365 used a clip over the pilot bearing vs just press fit on a 512.

512 also went with a dual disc clutch.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    turbo-joe likes this.
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    365 had taller, skinnier float vent pipes

Unused untapped blind holes on the 365 carb are what became the fuel enrichment for cold starts on the 512. Pretty smart use of those ports by adding a solenoid and drip tube. The console has a choke switch which isn't really a choke its an additional fuel circuit in the carb. The bottom hole is for a jet to meter the fuel delivered below the throttle plates in the intake runners.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Solenoid and small hose with clamps leads to what was a PVC system on a 365 manifold - its been repurposed but the manifolds don't interchange. The 365 has a large hole because its a vacuum port. The 512 has a pin hole to allow fuel to trickle which makes me wonder why there's even a jet in the carb to restrict fuel.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    365 has two types of vacuum rails. On the later 365 each side was two pieces joined with a hose. Early had a single long one and 2 short ones. No idea why and if it was just a crap shoot what the engine got.

This rail connects to the blow-by pipe on a 365 providing vacuum to pull from the crankcase. 512 with a drysump pump naturally draws a vacuum in the crankcase.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats it for now!

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    are the red horns painted or powder coated? what color red(paint code) was used and the technique plz?

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    where are the 36 stamped?
    I think my 512 BB koenig also has 36? just now in thailand and cannot have a look :(

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Paul, You have to write the book.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Same place, you can see them looking into the carb.

turbo-joe likes this.
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would love to, spoke to a publisher 5 years ago and they didn't like the idea. Spoke to Nathan Beehl as well and he gave me some good info. Matthias (Dino compendium) had to start his own publishing company to produce his book. So it feels like a dead end at the moment.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    may be one of the members here at F-chat can help?

24. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Let’s talk about it.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Painted. I use a silver base and a transparent candy apple red until Im happy.