What watch are you wearing today? | Page 561 | FerrariChat

What watch are you wearing today?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by VTChris, Sep 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    30s Hamilton This was my grandfather’s watch. Believed to be from 1939 when my grandparents celebrated their 5th wedding anniversary and my grandfather finally “got off the floor” and was no longer split between the steel mill floor and management and became full time management at Republic steel Image Unavailable, Please Login

poljav, blkfxstc, dstacy and 4 others like this.
  2. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Robb, Canuck550, BaronM69 and 3 others like this.
  3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  4. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    Robb, Jo Sta7, Boomhauer and 4 others like this.
  5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    migo likes this.
  6. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    migo likes this.
  7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh! We’re doing rectangles? Ok, today a blue steel hands Cartier. Lousy picture but you get the idea.
    (blue steel hands double the cool factor of any watch)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

poljav, labcars and JP365 like this.
  9. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    THAT is most elegant!! Glad to see you back Dave!!!

10. 328GTSinPA

328GTSinPA Rookie

Dec 22, 2019
    PA
    Full Name:
    David Felker
  11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you sir. Interesting times.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Being that it is Cartier I thought you guys might like a story about the maker.

The following is an excerpt from one of my books. It is provided for your enjoyment. In order to protect my copyright I'd like to notify everyone the following is protected under US Copyright #TX8807049. No part of the following my be reproduced, copied, or reposted now or in the future.
    Ok, now we have that taken care of...…..

"I love the styles of the art deco period, everything from the gates on houses to the font used in advertising appeals to me. I’ve always liked to dress well and have an eye for fashion. The fashions produced during those times are wonderful. The stunning beading and use of motion in women’s gowns along with great men’s suits featuring wonderful lapels always catch my eye. When it comes to the pièce de résistance in art deco style it is the jewelry from the 20’s and 30’s that makes my heart beat faster. I wear a solid gold art deco ring. The masters and undisputed kings of art deco jewelry are of course Louis and Pierre Cartier. It was during the early beginnings of the art deco period that the now famous Cartier Panther made its first appearance.

At the corner of 52nd and 5th in New York City stands a landmark rich in Cartier history, The Cartier Mansion. Completed in 1907 and sold to Cartier in 1917 for the amazing price of….a dual string of pearls. It’s true; the smaller strand had 55 while the larger had 73 south sea pearls hand matched by Cartier himself.

The Cartier Mansion has always been a grand building. As a residence it celebrated the excesses of wealth, as a retail showroom it houses some of the finest custom creations in the world. By 2013 it was badly in need of refurbishment and so a two and a half year restoration began. I’ve seen the pictures of what it looked like once the demolition had been completed. To say this was a major undertaking would be a gross understatement. Essentially it was gutted to the exterior walls with only the shell remaining. The finished project took half a million man hours to complete. Amazing!

I travel to NYC every year a week or two before Christmas to spend a few days enjoying the holidays, do a little shopping, and get my fill of winter. In 2016 The Cartier Mansion announced its reopening just in time for the Christmas season and I was fortunate enough to receive a call from Maureen inviting me to stop by while I was in town so she could take me on a private tour. The mansion is once again fabulous. If you go, enter from the 52nd street entrance, most people enter from 5th but the original entrance was off 52nd. The oak paneling, the exquisite window coverings, and the grand staircase have been brought back to their stunning original beauty. I felt fortunate when Maureen showed me the secret passages into the private salons and let me peek “backstage” into the inner workings of Cartier.

As I thanked Maureen and stepped out onto 52nd into the brisk December evening I couldn’t help but look back at the building and chuckle to myself since I then knew what very few know. I saw them up on the building, the oh so familiar symbol, their lights twinkling, ready to pounce. At Christmas time each year two panthers are placed high upon The Cartier Mansion as a tribute to their namesake.

Jean Toussaint’s picture is hanging near the stairway. She joined Louis in 1917 not only as his lover but also as his business advisor. It was Jean who became the artistic director of the company leading Cartier for the next 50+ years. Her reputation as a very shrewd, and ruthless business woman, lead Louis to refer to her by using the only pet name that was appropriate, “Panther”."

13. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    What a great story! I grew up in NYC and know the building, but never paid any more attention to it than any other of the spectacular edifices that line 5th Ave. When next I get to NYC (who knows when that might be now!), I'll be sure to go and look for that 52nd Street entrance and pay attention!

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14014 dstacy, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Call me before you go and if I still have any weight around there I'll arrange a private tour for you.

labcars likes this.
  15. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Roger that!!!

16. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Canuck550, Oengus, Shack and 5 others like this.
  17. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  18. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.

19. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    JP365 likes this.
  20. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Looks like a great road and a great car !!

MDS

roma1280 likes this.
  21. AshAP

AshAP Karting

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ash
    Looks like you’re only wearing the watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed