Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 163 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If anyone ordered an F8 and is now struggling please DM me I will help you by taking it off your hands for a fair price

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  2. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Ended up behind a Grigio titano F8 in traffic the other day. Such a beauty to see in the wild. Got to hear her run through the gears a few times, albeit not to redline. I will say it does make a very nice sound, just muted. It’s a higher quality sound than the 488. If they were both the same volume, I’d say the F8 sounds better... but they’re not

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

elmadi, Avia11, PTG1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. queenstown 355

Apr 23, 2010
    I have one.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Dan Neil of the WSJ reviews the F8
    Flying Down Empty Roads in Ferrari’s F8 Tributo
    Looking for a little escape, Dan Neil takes Ferrari’s F8 Tributo—featuring one of the brand’s last V-8 engines—for a spin on the barren highways near his North Carolina home

FEELING COUPE’D UP? Ferrari’s aerodynamic F8, with a top speed of 211 mph, will take you far from the madding crowds.
    PHOTO: FERRARI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    By
    Dan Neil
    April 4, 2020 12:01 am ET

I WATCHED the Ferrari F8 Tributo roll off the transporter and onto my street last Monday, feeling the heat of temptation. This growling, diamond-eyed panther was arriving in the midst of social-distancing measures in North Carolina, but before a lockdown on unnecessary travel. Within a radius of 30 miles from my house, I knew, were hundreds of miles of suddenly empty freeways and back roads. I also guessed the highway patrol would have better things to do than reel in jackasses in Ferraris, who probably don’t have any friends to visit anyway.

Although it was a hell of a way for it to happen, Covid-19 had brought about a car-lover’s impossible dream, the “Forza Motorsport” videogame brought to life. Here I was being handed the (sanitized) key fob to a tanked-up, murdered-out Ferrari, and loosed in a consequence-free topography with no traffic and no limits beyond those my frail will could impose.

This is so wrong, I thought to myself. With everything that’s happening in the U.S., and with tragedy in Italy still unfolding, how could I even think about exploiting the situation for my own amusement? I was going about 170 mph at the time.

The F8 is a wellspring of moral delinquency: 0-124 mph in 7 seconds. Now that’s social distancing done right.

The name needs some unpacking. Like the LaFerrari hypercar of the 2010s, the name “F8 Tributo” is a cheeky salute to self—specifically the 3.9-liter, twin-turbocharged, flat-crank V-8 engine sitting amidships. Swelling to its maximum 710 hp at a hair-igniting 8,000 rpm, and 569 lb-ft of what-the-hell-hit-us, Ferrari’s wundermill is a four-time winner of the International Engine of the Year Award.

While named in honor of its engine, the Tributo is mostly the same car, the same human-slingshot experience, as the retiring 488 GTB. The saddle-tan leather cordwaining on seats and doors is still gorgeous. The infotainment system remains rudimentary with displays the size of playing cards.

But the Tributo does get the latest version of the 90-degree V8, shared with the track-prepped 488 GTB Pista. This package squeezes out an additional 49 hp with lighter reciprocating masses and freer-breathing exhaust plumbing, including tubular manifolds made of high-temperature Inconel.

At night, in the heat of action, these manifolds can be seen through ventilated rear bodywork, their orange-white incandescence rising and dimming with the engine’s effort. Officer, I’d like to report a screaming witch on a tangerine broom.

Also among the greasy bits, the company’s tough, silk-smooth dual-clutch seven-speed transaxle with multi-mode torque vectoring. The dynamic control system has also downloaded the latest in auto-drift algorithms for your slithering pleasure. The Ferrari Dynamic Enhancer (FDE) helps keep a handle on the car in power-on oversteer situations. If/when the car’s g-meters sense it’s about to swap ends, the FDE will feather the throttle, dab the brakes and vector the torques just so to keep it going where it’s aimed, all while keeping it fun.

The muscled-up Tributo is also leaner, weighing 88 pounds less than the GTB. Much of that difference can be attributed to the Lexan rear window, replacing the 488’s conventional fixed glass.

The assembled pieces comprise a veritable vortex of lapsed judgment: 0-60 mph acceleration in 2.9 seconds and a top speed of 211 mph. That’s social distancing done right.

There was some curiosity mixed with my delinquency. Exotic car makers love to brag about downforce, that is, the manipulation of air pressure to hold a car to the road. But this phenomenon is often oversold and exaggerated in road cars and quite undetectable on your typical country road, unless that country is Qatar.

The shapely hole in the Tributo’s hood, for example, is the so-called S-Duct, channeling pressurized air from bumper level over the bonnet, creating downforce over the front axle. Balancing that downforce in the rear is a “blown” spoiler: A pair of ducts on the shoulders directs airflow to the rear spoiler. These airflows pass through vanes that recompress the airflow hitting the spoiler, increasing downforce while reducing drag. And all without an ugly rear wing.

But how would you ever know for sure, unless somebody shut down the entire country and gave you a hall pass?

Raging down the interstate in a fast, straight line, the Tributo’s aero registers as a sort of planted suppleness, requiring little tending of the feather-light, e-assisted steering. The wishbone suspension, backed with predictive/adaptive magnetic dampers, flexes and recovers purposefully. For as light as the steering is, the Tributo’s brake-pedal effort is high and the pedal stroke quite short, like a competition car. I like that. The carbon-ceramicBrembo brakes are the mightiest of anchors.

The car’s capacity for violence-on-demand is measured in scant milliseconds. Paddle-shift into third gear and give it some rope. Du-whaaa-dum-pahhhh! Gawhhh.

There is a shade of melancholy to the Tributo name, signaling as it does the end of technical development for Ferrari’s volume-production V8s. The next generation of V engines will have six cylinders, not eight; and the package will be hybrid-electric, like the current performance flagship SF90 Stradale.

How time flies. It’s easy to forget the turbo V8 was loathed when it first appeared in the California T (2014). Even though it was power-dense and more efficient than the naturally aspirated V8s and V12s, Ferraristas bitched that the turbochargers muffled the engine’s sound, robbing the cars of their aural presence.

I bet they will miss it when it’s gone.

FERRARI F8 TRIBUTO
    PHOTO: FERRARI
    Base Price: $275,780, including gas-guzzler tax and delivery fee

Price, as Tested: $360,796

Powertrain: Mid-mounted 3.9-liter 90-degree DOHC V8, direct injected and turbocharged; seven-speed automated dual-clutch rear transaxle

Power/Torque: 710 hp (SAE) at 8,000 rpm; 569 pound-feet at 3,250 rpm

Length/Width/Height/Wheelbase: 181.5/77.9/47.5/104.3 inches

Dry Weight: 2,932 pounds

0-60 mph: 2.9 seconds

0-124 mph: 7 seconds

Top Speed: 211 mph

Write to Dan Neil at [email protected]

elmadi, Chizz, C50 and 4 others like this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If e-assisted steering stands for electrically assisted, I think it's not correct - the F8 retains the hydraulic power steering and does not have the electrical power steering as introduced on the 812.
    Also the weight reduction is not only in the lexan window, it's in the engine (since it has the same claimed 18kg wight reduction as for the Pista) and I guess in the battery also (for weight sampling Ferrari considers the most efficient configurations, and the F8 has the option for the Lithium battery while it was not available on the 488 GTB).

6. Horst997tt

Horst997tt Karting

Jun 4, 2017
    #4062 Horst997tt, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Car is even with winter tyres fast. With snow tyres I lost about 0.2 s 100–160 kph, tank 3/4 filled,
    no co–driver , me 85 kg. 100–200 kph in 5.0–5.1 s with summer tyres. But 200–250 kph in 4.5 s very good. Car now revving to 8000 rpm in manual mode and LC mode, in Auto mode until 7800 rpm.

Sound is not as good as my 488 GTB, GPF makes sound dull. Suspension and riding similiar to 488 GTB, relatively soft suspension compared to Pista. F8 is more evolution of 488, but not really a new car.
    But for the money to pay „ best buy“.

LMH likes this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    @horst: 8.23'' for the 1/4 mile? This car must be modded to about 1500 hp...

tres55 and Napoli like this.
  8. Horst997tt

Horst997tt Karting

Jun 4, 2017
    #4064 Horst997tt, Apr 4, 2020
    No, 1/4 mile time is qouted from 100 kph Start, this means 100–235 kph is 1/4 mile and 8.23s
    Compared to my 488 GTB in stock version, F8 is about 0.5 s faster 100–200 kph.
    And also 0.5 –0.6 s from 200–250 kph. My 488 GTB with Capristo piggyback box (715 hp) is similiar fast. My 720 S a little bit faster as F8. 200–250 in 4.2 s and 100–200 4.5 s, but is approx. 80 lighter than F8 and is about 735–740 hp.

Heinz F8 likes this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Okay, now I get it. Thanks.

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    0-60 freak likes this.
  11. Horst997tt

Horst997tt Karting

Jun 4, 2017
    #4067 Horst997tt, Apr 4, 2020

The red cover lid is now no more part of inlet manifold, it is only a lid.
    If you remove this, you can see blank aluminium manifold, relatively short manifold.
    First Ferrari with a fake engine design, but engine is relatively perfect, no doubt.

Between tyres and wing is lot of „air“. Same height like 488. I would turn down suspension

Attached Files:

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That’s very good performance but about .5 seconds slower from 100-200 kph than a 720S. Which is about what I expected and within the realm of who the hell cares.

greg328 likes this.
  13. Nincompoop

Nincompoop Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Nevada
    If you’re looking for the best performance just get a turbo S and call it a day

14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Beattle on steroids... No thanks!

Impressive? Not!

Maggio23 likes this.
  15. Nincompoop

Nincompoop Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Nevada
    Lol yes. Porsche ownership is underwhelming. Why I placed a deposit for an F8.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    This is so well written l got an erection reading it. Thank you.

jm2 and Ash Patel like this.
  17. Horst997tt

Horst997tt Karting

Jun 4, 2017
    #4075 Horst997tt, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    992 Turbo S very good car, faster 0–100 kph, but not 0-200 kph. And, 992 turbo S is very heavy, about 1670 kg curb weight, 1640 kg in spec only with options for weight reduce, like carbon seats,
    roughly 140 kg more than F8 .

But seeing F8 from side, it looks lifted as a SUV. I think European cars 10 mm deeper.

Attached Files:

LVP488 likes this.