After nearly 15 years in the making, I finally own a Ford GT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

After nearly 15 years in the making, I finally own a Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Thecadster, Mar 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So this is a reply to a “value question” on a different forum (you can probably guess which one). Unlike many, I understand the need for value dialogue and don’t knee jerk resist those discussions. I thought I might cross post this in Fchat. I know many use the search feature to research cars and I thought these opinions might help someone down the road. So I was asked where I thought the FGT was in its value curve...

Not sure. I guess it depends somewhat on the current matter we are making our way through. Assuming the economy rights itself quickly after a sharp, but short retraction, I think the GT probably stays somewhat steady over time. Helping the car are these key factors:

1). American Supercar. This matters. At least it did to me. Something about having the Blue Oval stamped on the front. It’s almost like the everyman’s exotic. No offense to anyone (as I mentioned previously, I own both a Ferrari and a Lamborghini), but the Ford GT probably does not polarize near as much as other high end cars. The easiest way to say it, at the risk of drawing ire, the ****** factor is about as low as you can get with the Ford GT.

2). Analog. Bolt action. End of an era. Millennial theft deterrent device. I still can’t get over how much I enjoy being reunited with the hand shaker. Plus, no nanny’s. None. Legit widow maker.

3). Bullet proof. It’s reassuring having a 15 year old car that carries nearly zero risk of going boom. I know that this reason alone keeps the value high. Aspirational buyers can stretch out for this car knowing that they are not going to get whacked with unforeseen repair bills. Servicing the car is relatively easy. I mean, it’s a Ford. Tons of owners do their own maintenance. Can’t really do that with your Pista.

4). Timeless design. Could be 5 years old, could be 50 years old. The design is epic. Plus, unlike many cars, it gets more beautiful and more contemporary as time moves on. Again, no offense, but think about some of the cars that came out at the same time (I won’t name them, don’t need to, you know what they are), those cars show their age. At some point those cars will be back in favor again, but for now, they look their age.

5). Modern performance. The weight is relatively low, and with 550 HP base, and with 700 HP available with a couple easy mods (x pipe, pulley, tune), you can create real modern speed. Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s not nearly as fast as my Performante or 812, not even close, but the way the speed is delivered creates a strong impression of speed. For now, I have no plans to go beyond the base power delivery, but it’s nice to know that I could reach for a little more if I needed it.

6). Relatively mileage insensitive. Unlike other cars of its genre, each mile does not fully crush the value. Clearly, the powder puff, diaper rubbed, garage queens have more built in value, but the driver’s cars pull good money too. Think about what 10,000 miles does to just about any other car, and then think about what that does to a Ford GT. Not that I care about miles, I’ll drive this car with complete impunity, hoping to clock 1500-2000 miles per year.

7). Rare enough. So, many of these cars were exported over the years, while others were destroyed in accidents. It’s a matter of pure speculation, but I guess there is somewhere around 3000ish still on US roads. That number is low enough to preserve pricing, and that preservation of pricing has its own appeal for many people. Even before CV19, I had probably lost well over $100,000 in less than a year on my 812. That won’t happen on the GT, and that fact alone helps with pricing stability.

8). Racing pedigree. I think the Ford v Ferrari movie (which I personally thought was rather well done) gave the car a little pop. Certainly more visibility was placed on the car in the near term. Over time, the racing heritage means something to many.

That’s how I see the GT. I don’t expect a big run up in value, nor do a see much of a retraction either. To me, the car will stay somewhat steady, which is what it’s done for the last decade or so. I hope this info helps you and anyone else who might stumble upon it. Finally, I really regret not getting one sooner. I will be making up for lost time.

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Really good write up from a passionate new owner. I put in alot of work assessing value for cars I'm looking at buying, well frankly because I can't afford to be wrong.....I'm a regular 9-5 Engineer, do OK but I can't afford a Pista or 812 or whatever the hot exotic of the day is.

What alot of new guys to the market don't realize is that the GT pricing is already down from 3 years ago when there was no such thing as a sub-$300k non salvage car. And that I could buy one for $180k really signals a market bottom for the low end of the segment. I think as long as the panic is short, the prices will start creeping up, as the demand for these icons outstrip supply.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I managed to collect my GT from the detailer on Friday. He finished up the full Xpel, ceramic, and Exoshield. Looks amazing. No surprise, but post paint correction (couple minor areas needed some attention) the car looks showroom new. Best of all, I can now drive with much less fear of suffering road damage. Added benefit, full Xpel plus ceramic coating means almost never having to wash your car. Just a quick spray and gentle rub and that’s it. Always spotless and shiny. Here’s a couple cool pics he sent me.

By the way, his name is Brian Brown, and he is the owner/operator/artist at Exclusive Detail in Charlotte. I used him for my Lamborghini Performante too (it‘s also full Xpel, ceramic, Exoshield). He’s exceptional.

Exclusive Detail
    www.exclusivedetail.com
    [email protected]
    Phone: 704-525-5225
    IG: @exclusivedetail704

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    A couple quick updates. Finally had a chance to take out the GT tonight for a proper backroads thrashing. I am loving the new tires. What a game changer to move off the 15 year old OEM Goodyears and put on the new Bridgestone’s. Talk about changing the dynamics of the car completely. Grip for days around the bends.

Also, I received my floor mats from @Exoticare. This is my third set from Andrew. I had a pair on my previous F12, my current 812, and now my GT as well. As always, tremendous quality. They arrived fast and the customer service is top notch. Here’s a couple crappy iPhone pics in the dark.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  5. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I’ve been following this thread.... my son and I have watched the Ford vs Ferrari movie about 5 times. I’m very happy for you. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing

Shark01 and Thecadster like this.
  6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Inst
    Thanks for the kind words. Yes...so that movie more or less put me over the edge. I’m glad I finally took the plunge, even if my timing was not quite the best.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  7. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Speaking of the movie ... did you guys see “The 24 Hour War” on Netflix ? Just saw it Wednesday - loved it and very informative.

Congrats again Cadster - great looking car.

MDS

Thecadster likes this.
  8. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Read the book "Go Like Hell". You wont be sorry.

maxemus and Thecadster like this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  10. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    maxemus and Thecadster like this.
  11. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Just watched it. It was excellent, thanks for the recommendation. Wouldn’t you like to have some of those cars??? Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster likes this.
  12. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Wait, a Ford GT can be purchased for $180k now?! I love these cars and was getting serious about a purchase about 10 years ago when they could be had in the $150-175k range, but then they shot up to $250k plus and I thought I missed my chance. Tell me more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Let's take this conversation to my thread a few posts down....read that, and if you have any questions would like to help.

sigar likes this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Another quick 50 mile sunset jaunt in perfect spring weather. I love the new Bridgestone’s. The car just never ceases to delight.

15. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Question on the Bridgestones... which diss you get, are they the same size and did you remove yourself or take it somewhere? (The wheels/tires)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Boomhauer likes this.
  17. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    They transform your ride, better grip and the drone is gone for at least 20,000 miles.
    gtjoey1314

Thecadster likes this.
  18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks!

19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m gonna try them out!

20. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    My original 2005 vin 1314 is on Goodyear’s
    Only because it is now a museum piece
    My 2006 vin 1316 driver Bridgestone ONLY! Put 36,000 miles in 24 months alone during the tv show
    2005 vin 360 My around the world Almost GT
    Bridgestone Only we did 13,200 miles in 31 driving days!
    Sonic Blue Goodyear’s 130 miles since newanother paperweight museum piece
    Moral of the story if your gonna drive it
    Bridgestones imho are the only way to go
    Oh and there great up to 4 inches of snow!
    Enjoy!
    Gtjoey1314
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster likes this.
  21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I do plan to keep the original tires. 2006 with 1172 miles...

I drive very occasionally...

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I kept the originals too, but mine had about 4000 miles on them.

23. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m gonna have to find those books! Mine is gray with silver stripes...

24. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Amazon...…..just type in FORD GT THE COMPLETE OWNERS EXPERIENCE or AROUND THE WORLD IN A FORD GT "almost".
    Or FORD GT LIMONGELLI ……..If we get out alive from this pandemic, lets find each other Ill sign them!
    GTJOEY1314
    Enjoy the ride.....
    But stay home for now....

25. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks

And it’s a deal!