Shifting times Speciale vs Pista | FerrariChat

Shifting times Speciale vs Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Golattus, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Hi all,

Do anybody know the shifting times (up & down) of 458 Speciale and Pista?

Thanks

2. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Don’t have the tech data but I would think it is in Ferraris best interest as an exotic automobile leader to continue to make advances and the Pista, being the newer model, simply must be faster/better and more capable in all or most technology aspects than the Speciale. Now the key for me is would I be able to take advantage of said advances...I can tell you since I own a Speciale that I barely leverage a low percent of the capabilities of this amazing car and any stack of capabilities just makes the limit that much further out of reach. Besides, my personal opinion is that the Speciale has a level of aesthetics and character that is missing in the newer mid engine V8s...not a point to argue just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Clay, agree on everything. I love my Speciale and hopefully she will be with me forever; there’s no other car like this one in terms of smile producer.

Now I feel really humble and happy of having driven her that much and not thinking (much) on the depreciation...

I was asking the shifting times cause the pista uses the same Getrag Gearbox than Speciale except for the internal ratios.

if somebody has these data we can understand how far you can push this German Transmission although it is hard to believe that you can go further than Speciale’s, specially downshifting that is nothing.

Thanks!

Clay512TR likes this.
  4. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Found this....just need to find the Pista now. I did read that in race mode, the Pista shifts 30 ms faster than in sport mode. I’m pretty sure it shifts faster than the Speciale, wonder by how much...

F355: 250 ms
    360: 150 ms
    575M: 220 ms
    Challenge Stradale: 150 ms
    612: 180 ms
    575M HGTC: 180 ms
    F430: 150 ms
    612 HGTS/HGTC: 160 ms
    599: 100 ms
    612 Sessanta/OTO: 100 ms
    612 OTO HGT2: 80 ms
    Scuderia/16M: 66 ms
    599 HGTE: 80 ms
    599 GTO: 66 ms
    458 : ~75 ms
    Speciale : 60 ms

Ref: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-speciale-shifting-time.460898/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Baitschev and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Those figures are a great talking point, but I’ve never seen official literature by either Getrag or Ferrari when it comes to shift times of dual clutch transmissions.

An official request made to Ferrari provided this answer:

(from 6 min 17 sec to 6 min 57 sec).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. Owen Edwards

Owen Edwards Karting

Apr 5, 2020
    USA
    The 488 Pista shifts in about 30-35 ms. Sources claim that in race mode it will shift 30 ms faster than sport mode but this is exaggerated. Upshifting in the Pista is faster than sport mode but it’s nothing crazy, in sport mode the car is a little bit more tame so the shifting won’t be as violent as race mode but it will still be very quick if that makes sense. In race mode however, downshifting was significantly improved. Downshifting was way more responsive than sport mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk