What did you do to your car today? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What did you do to your car today?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I've had a problem with the alternator/battery light illuminating. It use to happen as the engine idled down from being driven hard.
    I replaced the battery (now Bosch), I had the alternator rebuilt.
    But a week ago while idling to NOT one chilly morning, it flashed ever so briefly again.

I have a cigarette socket monitor like shown below. But I can't seem to catch a voltage drop when the alt lamp illuminates.

So I installed this BlueTooth device on the battery. I saw it on another thread. Hopefully it'll give me a log I can sift through for clues
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  2. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^^looking forward to what you find; those battery monitors are really cool.

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I drove mine today. it was fussy till it warmed up. it really doesn't like being driven on a 40 degree day, then a 73 degree one back to back...

sjd

4. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Drove my 355 spyder every weekend in the last several weeks.
    Installed passenger side foot rest from Hill.
    348 steering install shortly.
    Shell Spirax will be next and then at one point this year a major...

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Paid my service bill (don’t tell the boss).

Pick it up tomorrow and will update my post about “Major and belts UK style”!

6. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Nothing just drove it. And still nothing to do to it

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Spent a few hours trying to figure out how to glue the new spider roof canvas to the stainless steel bar which runs along the bottom of the window... and gave up. Such a great potential for things to go wrong. The number of tools/materials required for fitting this roof is increasing exponentially on a daily basis.

8. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    These cars are a labour of love Ian that's for sure. I've had no issues for some time now so I'm very happy just don't seem to get much time to enjoy driving it.

Qavion likes this.
  9. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I rebuilt the shifter.
    I was surprised how well it worked for how poor condition it was in.
    The centering spring was completely seized up and all bushings were bone dry.
    I completely disassembled it, and cleaned it. I ordered new bushings and other parts from Ricambi.
    I debated drilling out some of the parts to add zerk fittings to grease, but ultimately ended up just packing it full of grease.
    Shifts much better, very smooth.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

And here's probably the only picture of a baby goat in a Ferrari lol

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That’s a nice pic of a goat Ken

tomc and jimmym like this.
  11. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^agreed...that is a great looking goat.

12. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not a prancing horse, but a cute goat.:)

13. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    Had the rear wheels off and took the wheel arch liners out for a good clean and fresh coat of stone chip paint.

Attached Files:

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  14. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    As clear turn signal lenses become increasingly rare and expensive I covered mine with two layers of clear adhesive plastic (clear bra). Remove lenses. Make a pattern with 2" masking tape. Rub pencil on lens edge to draw cut line. Lay tape on clear plastic. Scissor cut line and stick. Xacto knife screw hole. Applied with and w/o heat (hair dryer). Got a few bubbles either way. I'd leave hair dryer out. Also did the two round flashers. Did not remove 'em. Placed random jar lids on them until I found approximate diameter. Used it for pattern. Now chip proof. Hopefully.

308 GTB and kenneyd like this.
  15. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    any photos?

I started mine up yesterday after winter storage & need to install my summer tires & will be all set to go!!

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ugh great, now I need to add rebuild shift box to my list...
    What stone chip product did you use?

steved033 likes this.
  17. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob

How much work is it to remove the whole assembly like that?

18. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Re: Stone chip product. 3M clear plastic adhesive film. Tons on ebay. Sheets and rolls. I also did door sills. Thick (40mm) is hard to cut and reluctant to hold a bend (turn signal lens). I went on the thin side and did 2 layers - crisp cut lines and excellent adhesion. Thick for door sills is fine.

Lifeboatboy likes this.
  19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    remove the console, unhook linkage from underneath, unbolt the box and it drops out the bottom. Pain in the butt part is jacking the car up high enough if you don't have a lift and pulling the interior b its out, usually means removing seats etc to keep from messing other things up accidentally.

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I actually did not remove the console.
    Inside the car, remove ashtray/mirror switch/ hvac controls(1 min). Remove 17mm lock nut and ball, remove shifter gate and reverse switch. (5 min)

Under car, remove engine and large mid section under-tray. (I just loosened the rear diffusers, but left in place) (10 min +15 mins to look for the one tiny nut that bounced across the floor)
    I removed both bolts that secure the shifter rod to the shifter assembly. (5min)
    Remove the ~10 screws that hold the rubber splash shield in place
    Remove the 4 10mm bolts that hold the shifter assembly and the whole thing just falls out the bottom.

I used a vise and a socket to remove the spring washer that holds the centering spring. Once the spring and plunger are out, then the shifter rod/ball/black bushing can come out. Once out, then you can remove the "sliding linkage" with its smaller gray bushing.
    I do NOT recommend removing the ball from the black bushing. It will break no matter how hard you try and they are NLA. just clean it up in a parts washer and apply grease.
    Although dry, there was no play in the "sliding linkage", so i just polished it and loaded it up with grease. The bushing are brass if you wanna replace them, but they need to be pressed out/in.

Also, keep the goats out of the garage lol

Qavion, audi_328 and bcar1 like this.
  21. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    there is that sexy goat, again. I never get tired of seeing that face. gotta ask, how old and hoping that's a female.

22. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Or this face?

My wife helps one of her friends who breeds these with bottle feeding/weaning.
    I am not a animal guy, however, these goats literally emit no odors, they dont bark, they dont come in the house, and don't leave land mines in the yards. The literally crack me up lol, in addition to being hilarious, they actually contribute to the property, we've had 3 wethers for a few years and they've helped keep our ~2 acres clear. After buying the lot next to us, we now have ~4 acres, I've agreed to take on a few more. We are keeping 3 of the 6 we are weening now, just the wethers, the girls are sold.
    Whatever, My wife lets me have any car I want, and she get the goats... and chickens.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Adorable!
    T

24. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Thanks much for posting this, your timing couldn't have been better! Just this afternoon I put the car up, removed the aero trays, shift knob and gate and have been searching threads during the day for how exactly to pull and refresh the shift box, looking to get rid of third gear buzz. Very helpful post, thanks again for writing it up :) Love the goats BTW.

25. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    we all need some levity these days, and your pics and posts are a good remedy. thanks