Maserati Khamsin | Page 324 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    Marius,

that's the one. Nothing to find in the web.

On my one the small black plastic ring holding and guiding the mirror ball-base is broken. Small thing - big problem.

Any ideas?

Best, Rolf

2. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    no, ARA

3. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    sorry, Marc. There is nothing visible on the bellhousing, at least not without major surgery, and on the block there is only a riveted number, front , left side.

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    i last corresponded with Fabio on March 24. He and his family are fine as is Cozza.

Merak1974, gopp and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hm, bizarre thanks for trying Rolf.

6. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    Maybe it can be 3D printed? This technology has improved a lot the last few years.

Best regards
    Marius

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014

hello this Mirror discussed here also years ago
    Company Name is ARCA not ARA
    this Company still Exits but was sold many times since the years, nobody could help me there

i´ll try to find a left one for 5 years, could you post a photo from the foot…most intresting part because it´s like a Z
    and the housing is from top asymetrical? Right?

if anybody sells or produces them , i´m in

Kind regards and stay healthy
    FLO

8. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    anything and many materials can be 3d printed_ for that you have to have ONE original to dismantle and
    3d scan every single part...then find the Right diffrent 3d Printers for the different materials--
    and
    bingo
    the new product is born
    al lot of work
    if anybody is willing to borrow his original , get in contact please
    Kind regards
    FLO

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

Regarding the matter of engine denominations on Khamsins I received an answer from Fabio Collina of Maserati Classiche who is doing well confined at home.

The answer is not what I expected and mostly contrary to what I believed because I have seen several instances of engine block bellhousings stamped AM120 but oh well, you learn every day.

Here it is translated by me as we usually correspond in Italian.

Hi Marc,

All well thanks, as you I hope!

Even if we are all still obliged to stay at home if not for reasons of necessity or urgency it seems that the trend is starting to be positive .... I think, however, that for some time there will not be much change in the restrictions ...... mah, we'll see! Hopefully good for everyone!

Regarding your question, normally the Khamsin engine number started with the code AM115 (as reported on the homologation documents of the car) since as you know it was the evolution of the famous engine that equipped the Ghibli.

Khamsin engines were essentially of 3 types:
    AM115 / 10/49 for the Khamsin European version with mechanical or automatic transmission
    AM115 / 07/49 for the Khamsin USA version with mechanical gearbox
    AM115 / 13/49 for the Khamsin USA version with automatic transmission
    The Japanese versions had the same coding as the US versions but with a letter "G" stamped at the end of the progressive number of the engine (but it was not always stamped, perhaps by mistake or forgetfulness).

We don't know why but in some cases the engine number was stamped with the initial code AM120. Of these cases, however, I have found very few for now ....... perhaps errors of the production operators ....

I hope somehow to have managed to clear up the doubt!

Ciao and be well,
    Good evening,

Fabio

MK1044 and Froggie like this.
  10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    i had the discussion with Fabio a number of years ago concerning the 07 designation in the engine stamp on the 115 engine. Marc, could the 120 stamp have been a replacement engine where it was stamped by someone that didn’t know that Khamsin engines were stamped as 115?

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Who knows, anything is possible. I have seen replacement engines on Boras, blown decades ago during hard use but not really on K's...so far.

12. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005

Not sure if this is a 30052:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REARVIEW-MIRROR-OUTER-LEFT-ARCA-FIAT-131-MIRAFIORI/192711428354?hash=item2cde7f0902:g:O4IAAOSw3npb3F3s

Let us know!

13. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    According to the document of 338 (see post #8051) the car was ""..manufactured in 1979 / February with the following characteristics ….." and then the engine number AM120.338.
    So I think this is about the original engine.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Giotto,

That is AM120US1102 which had ended up in a dealership (Ghibli garage, Perugia, 2013) in Italy after having been found in the US in awful condition, a real rat (2013 photos below).

I visited Classic Skills (in eastern Holland right by the German border) late January last year and was very impressed by the work they were doing: all out restoration to the highest standards.

As their man Martijn posted here some months ago they have made a lot of door sill coverings. Little by little various shops are reproducing parts and selling them as I saw when visiting the twelve workshops for the Classiche Masters book. Looks like Classic Skills used 3D printing, that has huge potential of course.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

33guana likes this.
  16. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Easter saturday under virus confinement you were never going to reach anyone. I don't believe it is for sale, it was done for a client and I hope to have it at KHAMSIN CINQUANTA June 2022 in the restoration class.

33guana likes this.
  18. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Thanks for the clarification!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Marc, I'm not so sure that Alfieri went too far with the ancillary hydraulics. Rather the pieces were not up to the pressure of the rest of the system. I imagine that would have been worked out if not for the business conditions of the time.

20. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I believe that the rams and switches for the hydraulic on the Bora came from Germany. Mercedes Benz used some of them in the 600 series and if memory serves me correctly they were supplied by Bosch. Some of that carried over to the Khamsin. My understanding is that Bosch made them for aircraft hydraulics and that the operating pressures for them were less than those used by Citroen. If that is true, and I can't come up with a verification so I'll leave it up to others to either support or deny it, then it might explain why the parts that Citroen supplied worked well while some of the other parts didn't hold up.

21. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I see in an earlier thread on the Citroen hydraulics, https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/citroen-hydraulics-khamsin-bora-early-merak-late-indy.228217/
    that Ivan already had already raised this issue:
    So, if I understand correctly, only the LHM braking system would be leak-proof because using only Citroen designed components?

boralogist and MK1044 like this.
  22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    Have you picked a general location and what part of June? Wouldn’t mind attending but like to coincide trips to Europe with multiple activities.

23. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I believe that Froggie is correct. Only the systems directly sourced from Citroen's other cars would be trouble free due to the fact they had already sold millions of similarly equipped cars and had done all the trouble shooting work before Maserati used them.

24. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes.
    The interior functions (for the Bora, at least) do not need the full pressure of the Citroen hydraulic system.
    Therefore, in the interest of longevity and safety, I had an interior pressure control valve manufactured and installed next to the driver's seat:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gopp and Froggie like this.