458 - 458 won’t recognize iPod | FerrariChat

458 458 won’t recognize iPod

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MoreGarages413, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    First - i will apologize. This must be in the forums, but I have been incapable of finding it.

I’ve had my 458 for a year and never tried to hook up an apple device previously. I plugged my iphone 4 (that has served as my ipod in other cars) into the connector and it immediately appeared in the right TFT screen next to HDD and DISC. Awesome!

... but, i can’t scroll over to it. Shows but can’t access. Since the infotainment manual is so specific (ha...) maybe someone can share what i am doing wrong (device, software version, other .)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sometimes the same will happen to me, usually unplug then reattach and all will be good. Also make sure you have apple branded or licensed adapters

MoreGarages413 likes this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It's always a good day when your 458 actually recognizes the ipod or iphone being attached; unfortunately, it's usually also a rare day.

Sometimes it's better to wait 45-60 seconds after powering up the car to plug it in. Or as others have said, unplug and plug back in. Or just toss the ipod out the window and listen to the engine. Sometimes that's easiest :)

Ray

4. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    For the last year i have ignored the infotainment system. Figured i would invest some quarantine time in figuring it out. Obviously I should have just been driving.....

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    On my 458, I bought a little ipod nano and used to leave it connected all the time. As I recall, that worked fairly well, but new music required using itunes to move songs over to it. Later on, I bought an adapter to convert to using a lightening cable, so I could use my iphone and apple music.

I don't remember the exact routine which worked best for me, but I recall it worked about 80% of the time. I want to say that part of what worked most often involved turning the car on without the phone being connected - then waiting about 60 seconds - and then connecting the phone, so that the car could recognize it.

I also seem to remember that my girlfriend's iphone always worked better than mine. I believe I had the iphone 6s with an older IOS (9.3.1) and she had something more like an iphone 7 or 10 with the most current IOS. So it might have had something to do with the phone also.

Anyway, have you been able to get it to work yet? Or can you try something a bit later than the iphone 4?

Ray

6. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My iPod works all of the time... Maybe I’m lucky, but I’m a redhead so that’s a real long shot for sure!

I can access the song list and move about as needed. iPod charges as well, and I can easily load new songs and have them appear on the play list.

Can you be more specific on what is happening with your iPod?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    I was unsuccessful getting to to function after multiple attempts unplugging and reconnecting. Every time it popped up as a tab, but would not allow me to switch source over to it.

As an aside, importing music from CDs onto the HDD has to be the most laborious PITA ever....

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I had the same issue a few times (where it shows on the tab, but you can't access it). I can't remember what I did to resolve that. Try turning the infotainment system off manually (with the power button) over on the right side of the dash. I think there might also be a sub menu in there which has something to do with it (if I remember correctly). Have you tried accessing all the sub menus to see what you can find?

Ray

9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just a thought... Are you trying to turn the large round dial in a circle to access the iPhone on the top menu line, or are you pushing it sideways (left to right, not turning it at all)? The infotainment system is wonky, so please do not take offense if my question seems silly or illogical.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's a good observation, because in mid stream, the controls do change their behavior.

I've been a computer programmer since 1980 and building intuitive user interfaces is something I've spent a lot of time doing. Clearly whoever was in charge of programming the infotainment system menu's in Italy was not much of a programmer. The GUI on these cars is moronic if you ask me. The controls on the left side of the dash are decent. The controls on the right side (for the info system) are worthless.

Ray

jm2 likes this.
  11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
  12. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    If you already have your music in mp3 format you can use the USB connection to import the music. Goes pretty quickly and gave me an excuse to go sit in my 458 in the garage for about 30 minutes.

I keep my more aggressive playlists on the hard drive for when I am driving by myself and more "acceptable" playlists on an old ipod nano for when I have a passenger. I use the button on the back of the steering wheel on the right side to switch between the sources without even pulling up the music option on the right tft screen. Two pushes to go from hard drive to ipod, four pushes to get back to hard drive.

13. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    I’ve thoroughly explored the sub menus and pushed, pulled spin and slid the infotainment knob!

You all have confirmed that i am not doing anything explicitly wrong, just the sometimes quirky nature of the system.
    I loaded 5 CDs into the HDD (that’s All i had patience for). So i at least have that as a fallback.

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yup, welcome to the club :)

Despite the funky menus and iPod issues, the 458 is still the best Ferrari ever made :)

Ray

Graz likes this.
  15. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    For what it is worth, I have a 2013 spider with the iPod connector. I stopped using the iPod/phone connector quite some time ago. Simply put, the dash controls which I did get to work were too cumbersome to use on the move. I paid the less than $100 for a Bovie iPod/phone adapter. Basically, you plug that into the iPhone plug in the glove compartment. Link that to your phone. Simple as can be. Then you can use the iPhone/pod control on the back of the wheel to flip songs. Or better still, control it from your phone/pod that not only can you can see, but actually know how to operate!.

I highly recommend this. It has worked so well (save for having to occasionally unplug and then replug in the Bovie that takes 10 seconds after shutting car off and getting back in.) I never leave it connected however - no idea how much it might draw form battery. I have not connected my iPhone directly to the cord for > 5 years.

Best

Graz likes this.
  16. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Some owners have more luck with the Bovie bluetooth adapter than others. Back in 2014, mine was a POS that required unpairing and pairing nearly every time I started the 458 spider. Becamse such a PITA I returned it and parked an Ipod nano in the glovebox. That was a decent solution in 2014 but now that I exclusively stream Spotify wouldn't be appropriate anymore.

Maybe the Bovie adapter has improved over the years. Just glad my Huracan's infotainment system pairs flawlessly with my Iphone X via Bluetooth

17. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Thanks for all the comments gang. I have decided i will rely primarily on skinny pedal for my audio enjoyment and invest no further on the infotainment system that could have been spent driving!

18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    So I’m also having the iPod menu pop up but can’t scroll right. Are there any fixes here?

19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If I recall the new iPods / iPhone didn’t work but the “ classic “ old school iPod did work in my 458.

20. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you are using any kind of adapter it will work best if it is Apple branded, even apple branded connections to my iPhone 10 and 12 are very finicky. I have not found a common reason why periodically when I connect I will see the IPOD tab but will not be able to scroll over to it, usually unplug and reconnect and its good to go.

21. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The right hand controls for radio, etc. must have been made by Becker. The radio in my 430, a 6112 Cascade, was the absolute worst interface Ive ever experienced in a car radio, utterly useless. The 458 interface seems to have the same parentage.