No auto-up on passenger side window. Why not!?!?! | FerrariChat

No auto-up on passenger side window. Why not!?!?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jason B, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Ok, what I find annoying is there is no AUTO UP feature for the passenger side window!!! This drives me nuts. Same thing on my Lambo. These Italian cars always leave this feature off! I'm hoping someone says the 458 passenger window has auto up and mine is just not working right???

Every other normal car has this standard for 10 years.

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nope no auto up for passenger side, dumb for sure.

docf likes this.
  3. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
  4. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Yes! Dumb! They know we are putting the windows down to hear more of the exhaust and it’s like they did this on purpose when we go to put the windows up, maybe I need to develop a small circuit to fix this problem.

5. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Ok. Next question. Does this still happen in the 488? If yes, how about F8? Good reason to upgrade

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Can't check the car now, but the manual of the 488 says driver's window has auto up and down and passenger window only has auto down (I wonder how this is supposed to make sense).

7. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Lol, to confuse you more, my lambo manual says the passenger widows is supposed to have auto down and auto up, but it doesn't have auto up, but says it does. (and everyone else that has that car doesn't have auto up) Make you wonder if the UK gets auto up and USA doesn't. But again, it's still dumb.

8. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    F8 same way?

9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Yes it’s a Ferrari thing.

10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep - my 2014 458 is the same // believe it is the same on 488s and F8s but others on here can opine // don't feel bad - on my 2016 Hellcat there is no auto up for EITHER driver or passenger!!

11. rw99

rw99 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It’s my understanding that the lack of passenger side auto-up is due to manufacturers mitigating the risk of a window closing on a child’s arm/hand. In a four door vehicle, the child is seated in the rear (or mid) row and unable to reach the front passenger window. On a coupe like Challenger, presumably a kid could reach into that passenger window opening.

430jm likes this.
  12. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    grrr hate this feature

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    IIRC, it's a safety issue. No one wants their child or pet to get their head or extremities caught with an automatic window up feature.
    Still sound stupid?

Gianugo likes this.
  14. r00t61

r00t61 Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    San Diego
    That can't be right - I've been in plenty of coupes (Vettes, Camaros, 911s, Caymans, BRZs, etc) that have auto-down/auto-up for the passenger window.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  15. Gianugo

Gianugo Rookie

Oct 11, 2021
    Somewhere in Italy
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    I confirm ... Italian makers (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa, Maserati, Fiat ...) have to comply with it for safety reason. I guess this doesn't apply for other countries' makers such as Germans.

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Each mfg. sets their own internal criteria. Some worry about safety and lawsuits more than others.

rw99 and Viperjoe like this.
  17. rw99

rw99 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rich
    As jm2 says, this is not a US regulatory requirement. FCA was apparently risk-averse on the issue, and I’m not sure when/how they adopted their policy. Was it from Daimler/Chrysler days, or from Fiat… dunno.

My McLaren has passenger auto-up, but the jam sensors are sensitive enough that the windows will stop closing if the car’s driving on uneven pavement. An alternative strategy, I guess.

jm2 likes this.
  18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

First world problems. I never even noticed the widow on my passenger side does not have auto up. Now that I know I could care less.

Gianugo and jm2 like this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    But not Lambo. Comes down to cost vs safety. Sad really cause it doesn't take much.

20. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Yes still stupid the windows generally have a safety stop if they encounter any resistance. Most of my cars have auto up/down on all four windows.

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My 2015 458 has auto up on the drivers side only…

Cheers!

“I see a line of Supercars and they’re all painted red… Visions of Prancing Horses dance in my head. I hear the screaming thunder of the four-point-five… A 9,000 redline makes you feel alive.”