New to the forum and looking for 458 | FerrariChat

New to the forum and looking for 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tom nguyen, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tom nguyen

tom nguyen Rookie

Nov 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    tom n.
    Hey guys, I am a Porsche owner, new to Ferrari Forum and looking for a 458. I heard 458 is one the most reliable models ever made and wondering what should I look for when I go shopping.

Thanks

Tom

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow, that's a very generic question, but I'll throw a few things out to start.
    First of all, always buy the best one that you can afford because there is no cheap Ferrari, it's either pay now or pay later.
    I agree, the 458's in general are VERY reliable, but don't expect them to be Porsche reliable, or you may be a little disappointed. All that said, a huge number of us were Porsche people before buying our first Ferrari, and none that I know of have any regrets, so you should be good.
    Always shop condition. Make sure that it was maintained properly. Look at the car fax, and get a proper PPI, as well as physically looking at it and test driving it yourself.

Narrow it down by separating the must have options with the nice to have options. Typically, the must have options for a lot of people are:
    - Fender shields
    - LED steering wheel
    - Optional seats of some sort, racing seats are a must for some and Daytona for others
    - Front end lift (needed more for some depending where you live)

Some of the common issues to look for:
    - Check for sticky buttons
    - Check wheels carefully, make sure that they are not damaged
    - Check for damage under the nose and rear from hitting
    - Make sure that they have full service records, including yearly maintenance (oil changes, brake fluid (every 2), etc)
    - Check date code on tires, make sure they are newer than 6 years
    - Look for signs of abuse or heavy track use (chips, tire wear, seat bolster wear, etc.)
    - Make sure that it has 2 keys, paperwork, books and tools, tire repair kit, and car cover.

It's mostly common sense, just like buying any car. Pick the car that you fall in love with, and make sure you are getting what you pay for, that's all.
    Oh yeah, and read as much as possible on fchat. There is a ton of useful info on here. The more you read, the more you will learn, and as a result you will feel much more comfortable with purchasing a Ferrari.

Graz likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The CCM discs are expensive, so you may want to have a report of their wear (Ferrari dealers should be able to provide that, although it's apparently tricky because it's not visible wear like for steel discs).

up4speed likes this.
  4. tom nguyen

tom nguyen Rookie

Nov 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    tom n.
    Thanks, good start and I will read more from this forum. Any knows problems with the spider and the mechanical parts for the roof ?

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #5 up4speed, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    No complaints that are common with the convertible top that I know of, or remember. However, I might add that they are very different experiences. You may want to test drive both before deciding which one you prefer. Some like the stiffer chassis, and sportier feel and looks of the coupe, while others prefer the top down looks, and open air experience of the spider. Both are great. Of course common sense says that the convertible top mechanism adds another mechanical risk. As far as I know, all the owners so far have no regrets purchasing a spider. Personally, I much preferred the coupe for it's stiffer structure. Some say they don't even notice, I thought it was immediately apparent. So obviously, it really has to do with the individual. There are many debates / threads on this topic, so read up, test drive, and decide. The best part is that there is no bad choice!

6. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I have a 2015 458 Spider which I purchased in late December. My research found that the top mechanism is also reliable. It was one of the key decision points in my purchase decision. The car has 5,300 miles.

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    My roof folding mechanism broke at 18 months new. Had to source parts from Italy took two weeks to arrive.

8. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I purchased my car last Summer after flying to Chicago from the Seattle area. My wife and I made it a journey and it was a great experience.
    Don't be afraid to travel and look at cars that might be further away than you might like. When you are spending this kind of money, what is the added cost of a plane ticket, a hotel room and a rental car to drive to the dealer from the airport. The memory of the trip will stay with you as long as you have the car (and maybe longer).

Don't shy away from a car with a few more miles on it either.
    My car had 17k on it but it was well cared for, enjoyed and loved.

When you find the right one, you'll know :)

Good luck,
    Gene Greer

9. tom nguyen

tom nguyen Rookie

Nov 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    tom n.
    #9 tom nguyen, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  11. tom nguyen

tom nguyen Rookie

Nov 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    tom n.
    Yes Thanks, got plenty of dealers here in Socal and got my eyes on couple. Just use eBay as a reference for pricing.

IloveGT likes this.
  12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    +1. Get the dealer to add extended warranty and your future servicing experience will off to a good start assuming you service at the same place you bought.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am on Ferrari #8 a 458 spider, but I am on Porsche #44 (I have 3 now), the best advice I can give you is find a reliable and trusted seller. I usually advise people to buy their first Ferrari from a dealer close by if possible. Do not use Ebay as a guide for pricing, you are better off checking Ferrari's site and checking pricing there especially if you plan to buy your car from a Ferrari dealer. I am not like other owners (I am closing in on 500 cars owned), I tend to walk into a dealer look around and say I'll take that one and I give you (some number) for it. Dealers know me and they usually say okay since they know I am serious. I see each car I own as having a particular purpose, and purpose has a monetary value to me, so that is what I offer. Like I said I'm different, I just see them as machines that do a task.

tom nguyen likes this.
  14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Carnut forgot to mention he Ferrari shops in his pajamas, doesn’t shave, etc. when he goes to the dealer (which I assume is Algar in Phila). I’m sure they give him the bum’s rush just to get him out of the store . Sure, sure, okay sir.....

Smart guy, works every time.......

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  15. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    I've heard all about the steering wheel shake and cowl shake on the spider. I wanted the stiffer car that was designed originally as a coupe so went with that.

My independent dealer that services these cars told me to stay away from the spider as he's had to repair many and out of warranty it's a fortune. Many many servos and motors and he hates working on them when they break. If you're going to drive it that's something to think about.

Surfah likes this.