Odd Glass car | FerrariChat

Odd Glass car

Discussion in '308/328' started by MNExotics, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, the Scag badge is a momento, and or course incorrect.

Only the oldest Euro's had the solid amber lights, North American cars had the first intergral back ups...

The last batch or so of the North American cars had the US version plate indent.
    Dr. Barry Wolinsky is our resident expert.."308GTB"

MNExotics likes this.
  3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    And of course a North American car would have had our US bumpers and grill.
    Our spec and Canada were identical at the time, my yellow #22127 was sold in Canada, new.

Maybe some early 1975s slipped thru but the majority were Model Year 1976.

What's the VIN and production date, if you can share?????

4. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    Thanks for the reply. I have only seen a couple glass cars before and they were different so now I know more. Chassis is 19775.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not to lecture, but thanks for the door window detail!!

Note that these early cars LACKED the triangular window seal gasket, instead the glass is held surrounded by the same "fuzzy strip material" of the door edge moulding.

Not to pick on you but that shows another updated detail incorrect for this car, the rubber "wipe style" outer window trim on the door is a much later part, that has been fitted. The early cars were built in a tedious fashion, where the fuzzy strip was partially notched, so it would curve, and then pop riveted TOGETHER with the outer chrome bead trim, which was two different pieces!
    Total PITA...and when the early cotton fuzzy went South, I cannot blame them at all for fitting the rubber seal part, which is one piece (but a different chrome)..

But the triangle window construction detail I describe, applies only to very early cars!
    My 1976 #20405 (steel) was built that way, but by my later 1977 #22641 and #22127, they were using the one piece glass seal which is quite nicer!
    HTH

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Barry can go on and on...it has a Firing Order plate on the Air Box snorkel?
    That's an early detail soon deleted....These airboxes are also "Narrow snout" as non sound insulated.

Even the Pininfarina badge is ONE side only!
    Always the driver's door, left side on LHD, Right side on RHD!

I guess they were saving money!

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well YOU I'm sure know, but there was never an Engine Manual for our dual distributor 308GTBs.

All of the Engine and carb specs are to be found in the earlier 1974 Manual for the North American GT4, which of course had the same engine.

It will be interesting to note what you find, as you tune and balance the carbs.
    Conventional wisdom has they need rejetting to modern "alcohol 10% fuels", but if you find the virgin Factory sizes in there, it's kind of neat to know.

Lube and seal those distributors and see how they look on the curve, bearings may need attention but maybe not.
    R1 and R2 points have long been discarded but the micro switch is most likely still there...….the one set was an "Idle Only" trick, long before VW thought of such things!

8. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    Not my car so you are not picking on me. It came to me after being bounced through 3 other shops. Most of my work so far has been undoing what they did. Never had the chance to work on or drive a glass car so I was happy to take it on. The Pininfarina is on the right on this car. Thanks again Bubba. It’s good to hear from you again. Been a couple of years.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It looks like the interior "caterpillar fuzzy" is actually missing, off the door panel side, on the interior.

I can snap a picture of mine if you like.
    Not saying it needs "fixing' but as these cars age and get Judged someone might see that.

You know the license plate light in the rear only works with the engine lid DOWN.
    Once raised, it looses it's ground and goes out.
    Barry smoked a Judge with that one, long ago…..

greg328 likes this.
  10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well I was hit on my Ducati at 70MPH.
    One ton GMC truck
    LOTS of damage, so just glad to be anywhere!

Hopefully the Lord would not put me thru all that, to die of the flu!!

Engine Manual for the GT4 is online a lot of places.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2cam, greg328 and JuLiTrO like this.
  11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well the early badges had stud mounting, so if it's on the right, it's on the right!
    But "only one" is correct.

I'm gonna try to remember to get a picture for you of the window detail.
    ReOriginals has the materials to set this right if he's going for 100 Points!!!

12. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    I appreciate the offer. My task on this car is to get it running so it can be put up for sale. My understanding is the owner has passed. Overall the car is presentable but would be a good restoration candidate.

13. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    I have a full set of manuals as well. The good news is this engine was fully rebuilt with only a few miles on it but it sat for over a decade. Lots of dried out gaskets and seals

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well hopefully the tip on the points will help.

Most of the time it's fuel varnish ruining everything, the boundary layer of separated ethanol blends can eat right thru the tank at the Boundary layer.

But these distributors AND the oil potted ignition coils were designed to be installed vertical, so oil under the cap can put you right out, and I replaced my coils with epoxy potted ones from MSD, painted black.

Plug wires and caps CAN be bad but usually setting the set screws and cleaning things will clear a misfire.
    Examine extenders for arcing and replace the wire seal boots which were not as good as later ones. Once wet, they seal IN the wet!!
    LOL!

This car will be strong money, but always sad to hear an Owner has passed.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, sell them the oil sheen on the engine is like the sweat on a Olympic runner, in his prime!

Unless it's bad enough to catch fire...…:D

greg328 likes this.
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Fact check me on my Scag Badge comment, but recall he was a metal shop, AFAIK they were not involved in the styling, production or any of the 308GTB effort.

I don't think they did the 'glass panels and I have never seen the badge on any 308GTB, including Barrys.

17. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    I’ll keep you in the loop. I have the ignition sorted. The carbs Were removed cleaned and rebuilt but are leaking air at the baseplate so new gaskets and they will dial in. The fast idle lever and clock spring are missing and the choke cable is stuck.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Alan, the "Pininfarina" badge was on the right side of all early cars (even the LHD ones) during early production (september 1975 to mid 1976); it switched from right side to left side in the middle of 1976. See towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.308-328.com/308/308specstylen.html

Rgds

Hope everything is fine in Houston and that you are staying at home...

JuLiTrO and greg328 like this.
  19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    " 7/76 Grigio/dark red then Charcoal Grey Metallic/Black LHD US"

From Urban's book

20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yes, my early 76 has the badge on the right side. LHD car.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well staying home except for the hospital run!

She fi\lipped a swamp buggy and sadly is in a very bad way...they won't do any surgeries, because of the virus. She has broken shoulder, ribs and spine.
    ..and a soon to be ex husband.

we live for danger!
    But yes they are very serious about staying home you can assume everything is hot now with the bug...

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    It's a US glass car. Other than the scag badge and rubber window swipes, sounds pretty usual. All you describe is a usual US glass car...should be a wet Sump, dual dizzy, ugly bumpers, normal tail lights, four side marker lights, fasten seat belt idiot light on the panel, etc.