Who knows the true story of the two Ferrari Bartoletti 642 rn2 racetransporters ? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Who knows the true story of the two Ferrari Bartoletti 642 rn2 racetransporters ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by andymont, Nov 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Yes, it sounds right and, about the transporters, it's just what I've said .

rustydriver and clive beecham like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thanks for reviving a very interesting old thread.
    Interesting to read the reason for RHD cars on Italian transporters, due to the narrow streets. I have also heard the reason for race cars being RHD, that Clive mentioned in his post.

Another thought, regarding grand automobile manufacturers of the postwar period, something I read many years ago in an article about some noble French marques. Customers who drove their own vehicles preferred RHD so they could exit their vehicles onto the side of the road or footpath, rather than into the middle of the road as would be the case with a LHD vehicle.

3. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
  4. Aintree

Aintree Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Raymond Jenkins
    Aintree

Hello Ferrari 27 (a great number), I am not sure about that photo of Clive's FIAT at Silverstone, as I look as if I'm doing a rain dance! I was the lucky person that drove the transporter for Clive to various meetings. He also allowed me to do a few laps in his 250 SWB at the former Boreham circuit, Essex. At the lunch break he let my wife a drive a lap as well. I have enjoyed everyone's posts. This is my first post.

tomc, Lusso123, clive beecham and 3 others like this.
  5. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    On behalf of my longtime friend Richard Freshman (who sends his regards and best wishes to you Clive and family) who I met during my time of employee by Terry Hoyle before coming to the USA.

He has asked me to post this correction to your post recalling your shared relationship and restoration of the transporter: With regard to the hydraulic lifting system used to raise and the cars from the lower deck to the upper deck section mounted over the cab. There is a separate winch system used to pull the cars on to the elevator and lower section as well as to help ease them off. The elevator lifting section was often used to transport a second car on it with the elevator section in the locked up position. In addition he did not trade just a 1937 Indian Chief Motorcycle magneto, headlamp and gas tank cap to his friend located in Modena with the manufacturing facility. The actual trade required was the challenging sourcing of and purchase of a complete unrestored 1937 Indian Chief motorcycle. As subsequently found and purchased it was missing the parts referred to which were then sourced and provided at a later date.

rustydriver and Lusso123 like this.
  6. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Raymond. Welcome to Ferrari-Chat. I am sorry if, nearly 28 years ago, I captured you in an awkward moment! :)

I had never thought about what you were doing but I am sure that at Silverstone a rain dance would not have been necessary: if it was not raining that meant that it was going to rain soon!

Robert

7. clive beecham

clive beecham Karting

Mar 28, 2009
    Please give Richard my best. It’s been a long time since we last saw each other.

rustydriver likes this.
  8. Aintree

Aintree Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Raymond Jenkins
    I have read somewhere that the three axle FIAT transporter ex-everybody, was re-engined with a Leyland Diesel and fitted with a semi-automatic gearbox. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Ciao,

Aintree.
    Robert,

Thank you for your welcome to Ferrari-Chat. The rain at Aintree in 1961 for the Grand Prix was something I'll never forget. It didn't matter as the Scuderia were 1,2,3. Not something I'm likely to see again in GP racing. When I arrived home my mother wanted to know if I'd fallen in the Leeds & Liverpool Canal that runs alongside part of the circuit. If I'm ever in the area I will always drive onto part of the circuit, as there is still access.

Aintree.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Aintree in 1961 is a bit before my time but my Father was there. He was not a Ferrari fan as he was more interested in the British cars and drivers. He would become a big Jim Clark fan over the following few years.

Aintree likes this.
  10. Aintree

Aintree Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Raymond Jenkins
    jett40 likes this.
  11. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
  12. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Done. He agrees.

13. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    From further back:
    Gr. Martin

375+ likes this.
  14. OttawaSon

OttawaSon Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Norman Allan
    Andrea hello

I am a newby here – this is my second post. I like all-things about racing transporters, especially Scarab and Lotus racing transporters. So there is an overlap with Maserati and Bartoletti transporters.

I’ve spent a long time reading this very interesting thread, and have some catch-up questions.

On 7 October 2011, you said….
    "In my opinion, the Scarab Bartoletti opendeck has nothing to do with Maserati.

It is true, on the other hand, that Maserati after his withdrawn from racing in 1957, sold a truck/van to Reventlow's Scarab team .
    But the truck in question was a Fiat truck (probably a 682 Rn) van bodied painted in grey and registered MO-30502 .
    This vehicle is still existing perfectly restored by SilmaBus of Modena.

Ciao Andrea "[/QUOTE]

Since your post, David Cross published “Around the Circuit” (2013) on page 320-321 has this photo (from the Klemantaski Collection)
    With this caption:

“Lance Reventlow’s Scarab Mk1 Chevrolet was parked outside Reventlow Automobiles Inc,’s workshop in Venice, a beachfront neighbourhood in the city of Los Angeles, California, in 1957. To the rear, his grey and white Fiat 642 transporter can be clearly seen to display the Scarab graphics.”

And this narrative:
    “In 1957, he [Lance Reventlow, Scarab team owner] acquired Maserti’s Fiat 642 sturdy and reliable right-hand drive, fully-enclosed transporter. It was purchased new by Maserati as a chassis and bodied by Orlandi of Modena. Powered by a 6650cc in-line diesel engine, it had a miserly top speed of only 48mph.

Reventlow used it for one season in Europe to transport his Maserati 200SI sports-racing car and 250F single seater. He shipped it back to the USA where it was used to transport his Scarab cars, being taken off the road when the team disbanded.

After four decades in storage, it was sold at auction in 2002 and restored in Modena over a period of two years under the careful guidance of respected Maserati historian, Adolfo Orsi.”

So this Reventlow only used this enclosed Fiat transporter in Europe in 1957 then sent to the States.

Question 1 - This sounds like the Fiat truck mentioned in your post. Is it? If so is it a 642RN or a 682RN?

Question 2 – Do you know if Scarab used, along with their Fiat 306/2 Bartoletti transporter, a different enclosed Fiat truck during their 1960 F1 season?

Thank you Norman

clive beecham likes this.
  15. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Hi Norman,
    I'll try to answer to your questions .

#1 : The grey van ( plate MO 30502) was the older one of the three official Maserati team racetransporters of the fifties.
    It was based on a 642 RN Fiat truck chassis/engine and bodied by Orlandi of Modena. It has been sold to Lance Reventlow's Scarab team when Maserati decided to quit races, the further history of this vehicle is well known. I previously said "probably a 682 Rn" because the two chassis of 642 and 682 were similar .
    The Maserati racing team owned a second and bigger grey van (a Fiat truck 682 RN with license plate MO 33656) that was furtherly sold to Scuderia Centro Sud.
    Finally, the official team owned also the famous blue/yellow opendeck transporter Fiat 642RN ( MO 43571 ) bodied by Bartoletti and twin of the two ones owned by Ferrari.

#2 : As said in my old post, the Scarab Bartoletti opendeck transporter "has nothing to do with Maserati" even if an auction catalogue printed few years ago, wrongly said the opposite. In any case, the truck was based on a Fiat 306/2 bus chassis, and during his operative life with many teams it has been heavily modified many times. The life with Scarab team was very short. I don't know if the Scarab team used both his vehicles at the same time in races.

16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Since your post, David Cross published “Around the Circuit” (2013) on page 320-321 has this photo (from the Klemantaski Collection)
    View attachment 3100239
    With this caption:

“Lance Reventlow’s Scarab Mk1 Chevrolet was parked outside Reventlow Automobiles Inc,’s workshop in Venice, a beachfront neighbourhood in the city of Los Angeles, California, in 1957. To the rear, his grey and white Fiat 642 transporter can be clearly seen to display the Scarab graphics.”

And this narrative:
    “In 1957, he [Lance Reventlow, Scarab team owner] acquired Maserti’s Fiat 642 sturdy and reliable right-hand drive, fully-enclosed transporter. It was purchased new by Maserati as a chassis and bodied by Orlandi of Modena. Powered by a 6650cc in-line diesel engine, it had a miserly top speed of only 48mph.

Reventlow used it for one season in Europe to transport his Maserati 200SI sports-racing car and 250F single seater. He shipped it back to the USA where it was used to transport his Scarab cars, being taken off the road when the team disbanded.

After four decades in storage, it was sold at auction in 2002 and restored in Modena over a period of two years under the careful guidance of respected Maserati historian, Adolfo Orsi.”

So this Reventlow only used this enclosed Fiat transporter in Europe in 1957 then sent to the States.

Question 1 - This sounds like the Fiat truck mentioned in your post. Is it? If so is it a 642RN or a 682RN?

Question 2 – Do you know if Scarab used, along with their Fiat 306/2 Bartoletti transporter, a different enclosed Fiat truck during their 1960 F1 season?

Thank you Norman[/QUOTE]

The Scarab team did not use a different enclosed Fiat truck during their 1960 F1 season. They only used the one well known Bartoletti transporter.

17. OttawaSon

OttawaSon Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Norman Allan
    Thank you Andrea and Lusso123 for your prompt replies. Very helpful.

Andrea
    To clarify my understanding, much of which is based on your posts and other contributions to this thread, I could summarize what is known (and not known) about each of the three Maserati transporters.

Would this be useful?

Norm

18. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Norman,
    I always consider useful to clarify about history but, in the mean time, I guess that talking about Maserati in a Ferrari thread may be unwelcome to other forumers.