458 - 458 Owners with AFS Headlights - Question | FerrariChat

458 458 Owners with AFS Headlights - Question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

My 2015 458 Italia Coupe has the AFS Moveable/Tracking Headlights. A friend with a 2010 458 recently had both of his AFS Headlights quit working. (They no longer move).

My questions pertain to the care and maintenance of the AFS Headlights... Is there anything you can to to ensure they keep working? Do they need cleaning or lubrication? Does the motor that moves the headlights need any ongoing service? Is there any way to gain access to the movement mechanism, if the headlights are removed?

I’m just trying to keep them working as long as possible. They both work flawlessly now, but anything that moves is subject to wear and I’ve not been able to find any servicing info or cleaning/repair info for the AFS assembly.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any assistance to this wet behind the ears Ferrari noob.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    If you start the car and keep it in Park and turn the wheel left and right, do they move? Or do you have to be over a certain speed? Also, Is there a button to turn them on for this feature or they’re just always moving at all times when the lights are on?

3. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello Jason,

Congratulations on your new 458! It’s such an epic car that you will find new reasons to love it every day. There are a few teensy niggles of course, but I’ll take them every day to experience the awesome thrill of driving the 458!!!

I have not tried to move the headlights when the car is in park, but I think they may well move because they are supposed to move with you as you walk in front of the car, after you have parked it to light your way in your garage for a minute or two. Probably in conjunction with the parking sensors?

I do know that they will track with the steering wheel when you turn corners, go around curves etc. In addition, they will lower when you raise the suspension to compensate and resume to neutral when the suspension is returned to normal.

I have seen them track at night around curves, around a cul-de-sac and raising/lowering when raising the suspension and lowering it. I have not seen the garage tracking because I have a 10hp monster air compressor in front of my 458 when parked, so I walk around the rear end when I exit the car at night in the car park.

The AFS is an option and an expensive one at that... I’m told it was mandatory if you got the suspension lift option, otherwise as your pocketbook approved if your 458 did not have the lift option.

4. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Thank you. Appreciated.

No parking sensors here (it’s funny I’ve seen posts from some that say they’d rather no have them so the bumper is untouched, but didn’t believe it but maybe some prefer not to see the sensors?)

Yep, they are bundled with the front lift which is around $5,500 I think and the AFS is around $2k I think but you have to purchase both if you want that front lift or the lights. To me, the lights are more important than the lift because I live near and travel on super twisty curvy roads, so I can really use lights like this because of the type of roads I’m on, and animals, etc.

Keith Ngulube likes this.
  5. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They are amazing on curved, winding and twisted sister like roads. Nothing like them for sure as it gives you much more confidence when driving in the boonies when there is little, or no supplemental light like street lights or a bright moon shining. Way cool and an awesome feature!!!

6. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My 458 has front and rear parking sensors, so that may be why my AFS lights will track you as you walk in the car park. Alas, I do not have the rear view camera... Bugger!!!

7. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I have a special retrofit kit that can do a front and rear camera and use the factory TFT display.

8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    It's odd that they would fail on a 458 which is presumably driven very little compared the the many car models that have had these for almost 2 decades and are still operating fine to this day. Maybe a fuse went or something of the sort?

9. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    A friend (Yellowcompass) asked a Ferrari tech about this and he said if the AFS were not functioning you'd get an error light on the dash... And yea, you'd think there might be a fuse for them...

Cool Ferrari document on these:

https://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/wp-content/genuine-assets/en_EN/P000000060_en_458_Italia_AFS_headlights.pdf

Also, has anyone read the section of their owners manual that talks about these? I have yet and haven't driven it at night yet to see how they work.

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    All I’ve found is in page 134 but it’s pretty useless. Although I haven’t read the manual thoroughly I’ll give you that.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Jason, can you share a little about the retrofit kit? I inquired with the dealership, and it required the purchase of a new bumper. I'm looking for a rear camera solution since my 458 does not have it. Thank you!

12. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, he tried replacing the fuses and that did not help, they are both inoperable. They worked when he first got the car, but recently stopped working. That’s why I’m wondering about the mechanism itself... is there any way to service it?

13. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I spoke to my tech and he said if the system fails you will get a light on the dash....

I just tried it out and the system is simply unreal! I knew I wanted this option but I never was able to try it out and multiple salesman couldn’t tell me how well it worked, etc. It definitely works 10 times better than I thought it would. See my video.

14. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Beginning in the 2000s, there was a resurgence in interest in the idea of moving or optimizing the headlight beam in response not only to vehicular steering and suspension dynamics, but also to ambient weather and visibility conditions, vehicle speed, and road curvature and contour. A task force under the EUREKA organization, composed primarily of European automakers, lighting companies and regulators began working to develop design and performance specifications for what is known as Adaptive Front-Lighting Systems, commonly AFS. Manufacturers have released vehicles equipped with AFS since 2003.

Rather than the mechanical linkages employed in earlier directional-headlamp systems, AFS relies on electronic sensors, transducers and actuators. Other AFS techniques include special auxiliary optical systems within a vehicle's headlamp housings. These auxiliary systems may be switched on and off as the vehicle and operating conditions call for light or darkness at the angles covered by the beam the auxiliary optics produce. A typical system measures steering angle and vehicle speed to swivel the headlamps.The most advanced AFS systems use GPS signals to anticipate changes in road curvature, rather than simply reacting to them.

Now, I almost certain our AFS is made by HELLA and this is a great page that show exactly what these do and the advanced stages of what happens as you go faster, slower, etc.

https://www.hella.com/techworld/us/Technical/Automotive-lighting/Adaptive-headlights-663/

15. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello Jason,

Thanks for your efforts to obtain this information on the AFS headlights. After driving one night for eight hours enjoying the workings of the AFS headlights on my 458, I can attest to just how fantastic these lights are at night. I’m so glad my 458 has this option, it is nothing short of amazing technology! Cheers!

DefunctNeurons and Keith Ngulube like this.
  16. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    Sorry to revive this very old thread. I’ve only been a 458 owner 2 months and I have only driven the car during the day. Part of the reason is that the adaptive headlights on my 2022 992 are absolutely incredible, probably the best headlights I’ve experienced.

So I started searching the forum to see what I could expect from my 458. My car is a 2011. It has the front lift. Does that mean I have AFS? Or is 2011 too old? How do these headlights compare to a 2022 adaptive headlight on a Porsche 911?

17. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

If your car is equipped with a front lift, it is also equipped with AFS.