AFS Lighting system | FerrariChat

AFS Lighting system

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mattyrae, Feb 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Is the AFS lighting option a big deal? Looking at a car that might not have it.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think it is rarely ordered. It's a requirement on the front lift system because they need the lights to self adjust if the nose goes in the air. To me, its the only reason it's being offered.

3. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    pm SENT

4. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We have lived without the system forever. However, I always wonder why anyone objects to it, whether having a lift of not. I believe it is automatically included in California if not all other states. i have it on two other cars and like it. Best

5. ReelMan

ReelMan Karting

Nov 8, 2011
    What does it actually accomplish if you do not have the lift? I had thought that it gave you bendy lights as you took a corner?

6. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Did you buy the red / tan car from Ferrari of Houston, with the tan race seats?

7. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Frankly, I find it helpful when turning a corner in "pitch black" and never a problem. There is absolutely no down side to having them. Think about it, more light while turning a corner. I have never heard anyone complain about adjustable lights exept those who don't have them.

As far as the lift is concerned, the lift goes down when moving the car, to have the lights move would only be helpful while driving very slowly up and over something requiring the lift. Best

Keith Ngulube likes this.
  8. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Apart from considerable cost, of course.

Can you please elaborate on that? The ONLY reason to have a lift system, is if it moves. The whole purpose of it is to move over bumps or clear a steep change in road angle (like a ramp). If the system lowers itself when the car starts moving, what's point of having it? Are you saying it lowers itself when moving over a certain speed, say 5mph?

Onno

9. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Apology for lack of clarity. I was speaking in general about the lights following the lift up or down, so when adjusting itself the need for the lights may increase or decrease depending on what you are doing.

Regarding the lift per se, it is designed for slow speed movement and when the car reaches a certain speed, faster than you would want to traverse obstacles such as speed bumps,it lowers itself. Since it does not stay up at speed, it does no good for road "surprises", i.e. sharp angle, dip, break in concrete, pot hole, etc. I ordered it to get up and down my driveway and avoid parking blocks. Hope this helps.

Best

10. ReelMan

ReelMan Karting

Nov 8, 2011
    No, I was negotiating the red/tan in Austin, but it was bought out from under me.

11. ReelMan

ReelMan Karting

Nov 8, 2011
    So, then, the lights do follow the contour of the steering wheel, somewhat, when turning corners? That alone gets my vote!

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #12 PhilNotHill, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    My Porsche has turning headlights and no lift. Can't say I can really tell that they help much but we don't drive much at night. The lights are very bright and a joy to use. the light option came as part of a package so it really did not cost me anything xtra. Same with the Nav system.

I would get the lift option on the Fcar to get over speed bumps/dips not for the lights.

13. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Lift system works up to 40KPH which is about 25 MPH then it self defeats.

AFS lights do work pretty well when it comes to turns. I probably would not have got AFS if I did not have to have it for ELEVator option:)

ScottS likes this.
  14. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    fwiw I live in a hilly area as do you. I've always had the lift systems on my pcars and the F50. The F50 lift is so ridiculously slow that by the time you finished waiting for the car to lift you just give up and find another route. It was really just practical for loading/unloading onto a trailer. But at least you could activate it while moving. The 2012 porsche is so slow its worthess, you can't even activate it unless you are at a dead stop. try doing that in traffic while everyone is waiting for you. Surprisingly the 458 lift system ACTUALLY WORKS. You can activate it while moving up to 25MPH, and its extremely fast. I tend to be late braker (well, the 458 just doesn't need any notice), and it the car lifts in plenty of time. I hit the button as soon as I'm on the brakes at about 25, and I would say the car is lifted by 10MPH. Its fantastic.

OTOH the overhang on the 458 is about nil, so its not as necessary as some older cars. Even still I like it.

I wouldn't order the lights but it comes with the lift. Another bonus.

15. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I live in an unlit rural area with lots of deer and the AFS lighting is fantastic. i would definitely order it again.

16. Aaron O.

Aaron O. Rookie

Dec 22, 2014
    Taking delivery of my 2012 well optioned 458 spider Monday next week.

Would like to know how can i find out what all options are on the car when it says other options at $35,107? Sticker of car is at $354k plus

thx
    Aaron

17. rkruff

rkruff Karting

Apr 11, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Rick Ruffner
    Get the build sheet. The sticker has limited room to show options so they show everything in order until they run out of space. They then take everything else and show it as 'other options'.

18. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have the AFS system without the lift in my 458 Spider and I love it. I also had it on my Audi. IF you live in the countryside without street lights at night they are awesome since the lights move as you turn. It provides you with a much better view of the road and all the deer that lurking on the side of the road ready to jump in front of you. I would not buy a car without it.

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Totally agree. Since my last post here in 2012 all four of our cars have it: Boxster S, 458 Spider, Audi RS5 (standard), Audi S4 (only comes with Prestige models). Would not be without AFS at night in the dark mountains with lots of wildlife.

Best

gzachary likes this.
  20. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    #20 Jason B, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    This system in simply unreal! I knew I wanted this option but I never was able to try it out and multiple salesman couldn’t tell me how well it worked, etc. It definitely works 10 times better than I thought it would. See my video.

Cerbera99, gzachary, technom3 and 2 others like this.
  21. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    That looks like a Louisiana country road I grew up on. Deer and all. I would have loved that option when I was younger.

That being said the roads I drive these days in the city those Lights are not useful. I have had this system in a couple of cars and outside the city it was / is a really nice feature.

22. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I have the AFS but no lift and just rear parking sensors. Never seen mine do that with such efficiency, but truth be told I never did that experience of turning the wheel sharply and repeatedly at very low speed. Gotta try next time when Covid goes away.

In my BMW, the system works even when the car is at a standstill, by simply turning the wheel (BMW Adaptive LED). Does your 458 do that as well?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Maybe newer 458's have an improved system? Mercedes S class does't even compare to how well these work. Interesting, in the USA you CANNOT get the AFS lights on a 458 Italia/Spider unless you get the front lift option, around $5,000 and then the lights are around $2,000. You can't just get one or the other. I'm so glad I have this and I just figured this option wouldn't do much but I was complety wrong.

No the lights will not turn when you are stationary like your BMW does. Maybe this is a good thing as the motors would wear out quicker and maybe that's why bmw did it :)

https://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/wp-content/genuine-assets/en_EN/P000000060_en_458_Italia_AFS_headlights.pdf - Ferrari 458 AFS info card

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  24. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  25. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Something is wrong there. Two dealers I talked to confirmed this and all cars you see with the lifts all are bundled with those lights.